1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Ryan's Legitimacy (In Regards to the RNC Speech)

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by MKOLLER, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Sources:
    BBC News - Paul Ryan Republican speech 'contained errors'
    Paul Ryan’s speech in 3 words | Fox News

Self-Explanatory - One is an international source not affiliated with American politics and therefore should be a little bit more objective than something like NBC or CNN. The other is the leading conservative news network in the States. Granted, both are opinion, but they do source FactCheck, which went through the transcript of the speech, which I shall link below:

Paul Ryan Speech Text: Read The Vice Presidential Candidate's Republican Convention Remarks

With that in mind, what are your thoughts about the blatant misinformation going on? My thoughts can really be summarized in three points.

‎1) That didn't take long. I expected a few days to pass before people would really dig into him. But apparently it was just that bad.

2) Ryan promised to cap federal spending at 20% of GDP. 20% of GDP is still 3 trillion dollars. Meaning taxes still need to be raised. Otherwise we will still be in a budget shortfall. Additionally, the number will go up as GDP goes up, so this really doesn't seem like a foolproof solution to the problem. Furthermore, our current expenses are only 25.4% of GDP, so the planned decrease is only a 21% decrease of its current value.

3) As someone who is sitting at home because of bad finances post-college, this information really does not make me want to vote for them, since, you know, they are calling for fewer grants, more loans, and variable interest rates (that was mentioned in the Republican Platform). I'm in this mess because I had to rely on loans just to get into a college. Telling me I can fix my debt problem with riskier loans and more debt is just ridiculous in itself.

Meanwhile, I have the Obama sponsored option of applying to the forest service, receiving paid training to offset my college costs, and then possibly a permanent position when I get a degree or certificate. That's what I'm trying for, and that's what I, personally, would vote for. Because I'm selfish. But that just stems from being human, so make of it what you will.

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If someone at FoxNews is saying a Republican nominee is deceitful you know he must have been telling some whoppers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That wasn't the Fox News article I was expecting to see. Did they mess up and repost an article from Alternet?

Does Paul Ryan not remember the last 2 years and why the credit rating of the US was downgraded? Why Simpson-Bowles was DOA? Why nothing could get done in the past congressional session?

4. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Oh, Romney's speech tonight was far worse. Just finished watching it, and it was a trainwreck. He claimed that Obama would cut not billions, but TRILLIONS from the military, as well as making the same refuted $765 billion Medicare cut claim Ryan made. He also used Vladmir Putin as an attack on Obama even though diplomacy with Putin was a present thing during the Bush years. He only talked about business and said nothing on civil service (which struck a bad chord with me, personally).

But the worst part? He brought up the rise in sea level as a joke and got the rest of the Party to laugh right along with him, in what has to be one of the most blatant displays of ignorance I have ever seen. We have documented evidence that rise in tidal levels has damaged coastlines in other countries across the world. In fact, San Francisco has speculated this happening, as well as the city of New Orleans. You know, which is BELOW sea level?

Goddamn, I don't even.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

To be clear, it wasn't a Fox News article, per se, but rather a column by Fox News' token 'progressive pundit.'
    Not exactly the same thing.

6. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

It's interesting, though, because you figure that the corporation itself is trying REALLY hard to get Mitt into the spotlight and to debase Obama (look at Hannity, look at Greta Van Sustren, look at Glenn Beck who still speaks on their shows from time to time). It's defeatist toward their cause.

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

that's part of the deception, though. they can point to that and say they they're fair and balanced.
    but use her like a performing monkey like they did that other guy whose name I can't remember now.

8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It was still on FoxNews.com, but I get what you are saying.

Romney's speech still lacked a lot of real policy ideas that his big money donors want to push. His energy plan is Drill, Baby, Drill v 2.0 (now with more fracking), although I did hear him say renewables in his speech tonight, his 'energy plan' is a race to beat China to see who can pollute more. And the raising sea level thing should have been cut, even without part of New Orleans underwater.

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I explained my reasoning for that. Just imagine a world where all is not what it seems to be.

10. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

As an interesting aside, I think the campaign slogan, as shown here, is more accurate in regards to their head in the sand optimism over policies that have been proven to fail.

"We Can Chance It"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Somehow last night, I missed the second part of that statement. Doing too many things at once, I guess. Sorry about that.

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Somewhat relevant but I think it really says a lot that they actually went to the trouble of planning a Ronald Reagan hologram and only cancelled it for fear of overshadowing the whole Romney/Ryan thing.

How bad does a candidate need to be before you're afraid that a hologram is going to overshadow him?

13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

How livid would the Republicans be if Reagan's hologram shows up at the Democratic Convention and talks about all the things he has in common with Obama?

14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Bout this much:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

paul ryan's legitimacy? he confuses ayn rand with a philosopher. he has no legitimacy. and this well before one arrives anywhere near the steaming mound of bullshit that was his speech.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thats not going to stop the sheep from voting republican. so what if he's full of it?

come to think of it, there's people that'd vote for obama just because, you know...he's black.

same-same.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Lol, you mean like all the black people? Romney has like 0% of the black vote, so I saw. That was hilarious.

18. no, not all black people. It's not like all muslims vote for Obama, just because, you know...he's muslim.

19. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I mean literally almost ALL black people. Obama won 95% of all the black votes last election. He doesn't even have to try in that arena.

20. dippin Getting Tilted

Are you really suggesting that black people are voting for Obama simply because he is black? Because that is nonsense.

Kerry won 88% of the black vote. Gore had 90%. That is more a result of Republican platforms and dog whistle racism than the race of the democratic candidate.

• Like Like x 4