1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

"Scary Stories" anniversary re-issue doing injustice to itself

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by DamnitAll, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

The 30th anniversary re-issue of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series has replaced the haunting illustrations of Stephen Gammell with a tamer and infinitely more boring collection that completely misses the purpose of the illustrations and their place in these books.

Going from this...
    [​IMG]

...to this...
    [​IMG]

...in these books is just plain stupid.

Replacing artwork and cover design in literature reprints is common, but in this case I think it's a slap in the face of everything these books stood for. Gammell's illustrations made the stories what they were. Kids who get the new version are going to be seriously missing out.

Any other example of redesigned reprints that you think totally missed the mark and/or did a disservice to the content of their stories?