View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 05:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kadath
Muffled

Quote:
Originally posted by j8ear
I was with you on everything except this part. We don;t need a tax, we need to be responsible for our own decisions....not tax them so we can continue to make them with the gaurantee that the tax payer will bail you out.

You smoke...you die a horrible miserable lonely death from lung cancer. TOUGH shit.
Yeah, except you die slowly in a hopsital draining the resources of the healthcare system, so it costs other people.

Quote:

You eat Big Macs six times a week...you die from heart disease a fat waste of life obese sack of shit. Who gives a rat's ass.
See above.

Quote:

THE LAST thing we need to do is become dependant on sin taxes, to pay for things not even related to the 'sin.'

The ONLY thing we need is to hold people responsible for their actions. It isn't McDonald's fault that you are to weak to say NO or to lazy to prepare a healthy meal for children, nor is it the governments responsibilty to help you through any consequences of your BAD decisions.
So if I guy gets lung cancer from smoking, he gets no healthcare? What if he gets lung cancer from working a job? Does he get healthcare then, or it his fault for picking a bad carrer path? How far does your indifference toward your fellow man go?

Quote:

I am completely on board with tort reform of the exact nature presented earlier. I fully support law suits or ALL types, frivolous included. It's the looser who should be required to pay ALL COSTS incurred by both sides.

I think the governement which legislates should be barred from exempting itself from anything imposed on the citizens.

Finally, I do not believe that such a thing as compelling government interest should EVER TRUMP the constitution. EVER. If it is compelling then the constitution needs to be changed. Period. No exceptions because five of the nine most removed from the common man elites deem it compelling. If it is that compelling then a change should be rather straight forward.

I've got more from my slightly right of libertarian camp, but I'll leave at this for now.

-bear
I want to agree with you about this, but how would you change the constitution? Give an example of a change to the constitution that would allow the government to exempt itself from, say, workplace safety regulations, given that we hate changing the constitution and try to do it as little as possible.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73