Thread: Homeschooling
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
raeanna74
I'm not a blonde! I'm knot! I'm knot! I'm knot!

The public schools in our area suck. Especially the highschool.

I went to public school in our area from 3rd - 6th grade. I was in an accelerated program for math in elementary school. In junior high they had not such program and so they intended to put me and other's in my group back through the exact same math books we'd just completed. My mother who had a bachelors in El Ed figured she could at least do that well. She homeschooled me from 7th grade through highschool. They had an excellent homeschoolers support and activity group at that time and I never lacked in things to do. Because I had more time to incorporate more extracurricular activities into my schedule I got to get involved with the astronomy teacher at a local highschool and work with his planitarium a little. I was able to get involved with the DNR and even had the opportunity to work in a fire tower though I chose another opportunity for that summer. I was able to get involved in the local artists association and learned some other types of artwork as well as got to sell a few of my pieces at a local art fair. I could go on and on. The opportunities are endless. The homeschool group numbered over 100 students when I graduated in '92 and has grown so large that it has split into two groups now. The pop in my town is only 10k and the nearby larger town numbers around 30k I think (I'll have to check and edit that if needed.) I even got to graduate in a class of two students and a state congressman (and former Iran-Contra prisoner) spoke at my graduation, how cool is that.

I plan to homeschool my daughter for kindergarten this year. I do home day care as many of you know and the mother of the oldest child that I watch is a special education teacher for our public school district. She has asked me to homeschool her daughter for preschool this year. She is eager to see how it goes and has expressed to me an interest in going that route for her own daughter - even to the point of leaving teaching to pursue it sometime in the future. If a teacher in the local district is considering sometime in the future leaving the lucrative job of hers to homeschool her own daughter then what does it say about the schools here.

Needless to say if my daughter does ever seriously desire to go into another school I would be putting her into a montessori school about 20 minutes away or into a local parochial school (Protestant) in which I student taught.

My brother was homeschooled from Kindergarten through highschool and is quite smart. A little immature but relates well to most others. He is only 24 but is working to support his family and doing ok for himself. He's not overly rebellious and in fact works for my dad often. He has been considering going into business for himself in computers or electrical. He's quite competent in electrical.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73