1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

2012 fantasy football

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Are we doing fantasy football again this year? I would like to.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'd be in. I can't remember who set it up last year, but I'd be willing to if needed, I've run leagues many times.

3. I got my invite from Jetée just a few minutes ago. Check your email. If you didn't get one, send him a PM.

Draft at 2:15pm PST on Tuesday, Sept. 4? Hate the timing of that. If we can't get that changed, I'll have to auto-draft. That would be a bad news way to start a title defense:(

4. ralphie250

Ill check.

5. It would be great to get a few more players involved this season. 10 to 12 team leagues are a lot of fun.

6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

I honestly wanted to start this thing this afternoon, but I'm glad I was spared the agony of reserving thirty minutes to composing my OP, and then have it be subsequently (presumably) ignored.

If you are a new or returning member from any of the past several seasons of Tilted Time's fantasy football league, shoot me a pm (conversation starter). Depending on how you would like to join the league, I will give any prospective team three options on how to join: 1) involves starting a conversation with me, leaving your e-mail address (where the invite will be sent) and an expression of intent to join and be active ; 2) involves asking for the league ID and password, which I will gladly supply for those that are returning, and you can join at your own leisure (or not, depending on whether you feel you can devote the time / effort to be an above-average participant this season) ; and 3) involves the same step as No.2, but it involves me leaving this link here, and having you figure out the league ID and password all on your own (the game within the game?).

If you would like more info on the league, I will tell you that is still basically standard, but with 1 point per reception; QB TDs and INTs are worth what they should be (6, -3) ; and team defenses can either reward you big when they deliver, and look like flops when they flail. I am open to considerations about perhaps shifting the draft time and/or format (to an auction draft) , given enough consensus community support. But, if you feel like just bemoaning in silence to any or all of my slight shifts in rules /regulations for the new season to Tilted Time, it will not help solve what irks or confuses you particularly, and it definitely will not evoke change to what would could become a better experience for us all.

To answer any confusion, offer any tips or suggestions, or just comment on your strategy for how to tackle this year, this thread is the forum to express yourself (and your over-inflated opinion of your team's prospects).

- - - - -
    to add:
    I'll also be fielding any expressed interest to those of you fine folks that also would like to join 1 or 2 other fantasy football leagues (one is entirely IDP, and if I may say, entirely awesome ; the other is based upon essendoubleop's TFP FF 2009 league: return yardage, two QBs, weekly pickup limiter, and NO KICKERS is the basic premise to that league's settings) Neither league will be possible without member partipication, so if you feel like trying your hand at it, or if you have enough confidence to know that you can succeed in a league with any sort of settings, tell me so (by leaving your e-mail, where you want in, and a thumbs up).

Last bit: just in case I cannot maintain my consistent nature in popping up regularly, I am taking the precautionary step of electing a volunteer to help be my co-commissioner. Just a basic "I can handle the mediation process" and a short summary of why you feel qualified to become an overseer, and you will most likely serve as the reserve commish (in case I fall off of the Earth again).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. The one thing I noticed right off is the virtual currency with which to purchase waiver pick ups. Interesting development. Gonna have to look in to that more deeply.

Hearty endorsement of the participation comment. It doesn't take a ton of time and energy to manage your squad. It can be tough to stay engaged sometimes, especially if you lose a couple of match ups early on. I've been on both sides, winning league championships and coming in dead last. But, I've never quit, never stopped tweaking my lineup, trying to, at the very least, to play the spoiler.

A few minutes, a couple of times a week is all it takes to stay connected and competitive. Starting and participating in the comment threads is a great way to get more enjoyment out of the league.

8. Borla

I got the invite Jetée , thanks. :cool:

I'll sign up tomorrow. I'm in favor of keeping traditional settings and a regular draft for players, though I agree a time change might be nice. Maybe a weekend afternoon or a Mon/Fri evening?

I'd be willing to co-commish as you mentioned. I've run two different leagues in the past, never had drama issues, am an active participant here and in my leagues, and feel I can be objective. I also do enough reading and research to have a decent feel for standard operating procedure in how most leagues operate (and settle disputes/questions).

If someone else is better suited, no big deal.

9. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Is any one else willing to contribute thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions as to what you would like to see implemented, or have answered?
    Does the draft date, now that you have it in mind some two-plus months ahead of time, seem feasible for you to attend?
    Participation is what makes this venture an entertaining one; thus I urge, if you can, have your voice heard, and if you'd like to, try to scoop me (I pride myself in trivial knowledge).

We still need a few more willing and able participants to maintain a fantasy team, so please, reply in the thread proper if you'd like in, or shoot me a quick one-on-one message providing me your e-mail addy for an invite.

Borla: Consider it done. (meant to reply to you last Sunday, but I am horrible at keeping my pocket-watch relevant to reality)

10. Borla

Got the notification. :cool:

11. ralphie250

Yeah,.. just registered. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12. Xazy Vertical

I would perhaps would be interested in registering as well.

13. crewsor

crewsor New Member

I'm in. SCREAMING EAGLES. Thanks for the invite. Have to buy waiver picks now......Hmmm. That's different.

14. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

A bit late in posting, but still early enough for those unfamiliar to peruse and familiarise themselves with the process.

How FAAB waivers work

Gist: bid a figure for the player/position you want to cliam from the waiver pool, as well do others looking to acquire hyped name; this occurs in a silent auction sort of process, where the highest bid wins the claim, and has the bidded figure pulled from their season's allotment of funds.

Per Y!:
    - - -
    Last thing to note: I think we can have an enjoyable enough season having just 8 team managers to the league, (as we did last season, I bleieve) but I echo the sentiment that the "perfect" position to be in is to have 10 or 12 teams within one league, depending on the scoring and roster positions alloted; as it allows for the maximum dispersal of talent amongst the player pool, and adds more competitive banter and intrigue.

So, bearing that in mind, I leave the option open to allow two more teams to join, perhaps as long as one week before the league holds the draft. But... in the event that we do not receive any additional interest from other TFP members willing to join, (didn't Strange Famous want in on the fun last season?) would there be a majority of dissention amongst other teams if the league started two quaterbacks per week, in place of the standard one? (there are 32 teams in the NFL after all, and much more than 32 starting QBs play in any given season.) Your input would be highly valued in this regard.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  15. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

im up for anything... bring it.

16. Taking bye weeks into account, 2 qbs across 8 teams wouldn't be too onerous.

17. ralphie250

When is draft??

18. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Same date, three hours later (quarter after five) on the East Coast of N.America (where New York City is situated, geographically).

However, if we receive two more teams willing to venture into play for this season, bringing the total to a nice and even 10, especially within the next week, we can hold a quick group communal vote whether or not to hold an offline draft within the forum (where each team gets a draft order, a set time to pick when their turn comes, say 6-24 hours, and perhaps we can speed it up even more by sending out a mass league e-mail to all teams that over a weekend in the next three weeks, Fri.-Sat.-Sun.-Mon., we will be holding the majority of the draft here on the board, and it is the responsilibity of each individual owner to show up and assemble their teams by showing up. All of this, however, is highly hopeful speculation; so unless any one else has a clearly defined alternate draft date/time to offer, the draft date remains as is, will be done through Y! sports automation, and will require you to set aside a 1-2 block of time to manually draft; though subject to change through a majority of league votes, whereby it shifts position to another date or time.)

- - -
    + bonus
    If it helps those that have the ubiquity and performance of a smart phone, I did come across this link/tip about two months back
    (which I will try to utilise if in case, I, too, am unable to be near a desktop during the draft).
    Live Fantasy Football Draft on the iPhone | Practical iStuff

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  19. Today was draft day for my ESPN league. It's a pass-happy league and I think I'm in pretty good shape. A. Rodgers at QB, with G. Jennings, Percy Harvin and Jeremy Macklin at WR and Jimmy Graham at TE should be good for some solid, consistent points. I'm not thrilled with my RBs and Bench, but, in a 12 team league, pickings get pretty slim real quickly.

Anyone else had a draft yet?

20. ralphie250

Will i be able to use my browser to draft on my Android?