1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Season MLB thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We are about six weeks away from pitchers and catchers reporting to Spring Training. :cool:

I for one am pretty excited about the moves the White Sox have made so far. It caught me a little off guard, because I thought they were probably at least one more season from really trying to compete. Especially with how good the Tigers have been the last few years. But they got serious, and they have some young talent in the mix (Abreu anyone?) that should make for a fun year. :)

Also, tomorrow the 2015 HoF class is announced. Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez are no brainers to be in IMO. I think Biggio and Smoltz will probably get the votes too. I'd love to see Tim Raines get in on what (IIRC) is his last chance, but I'm guessing he won't. It's a shame, he's maybe the second best lead-off hitter of the last 50 years. Piazza has an outside chance as well, so this could be a big class.

Anyone else already starting to anticipate the season?

Anything your team that has you excited? Or disappointed?

2. Borla

Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, and Craig Biggio all elected to the HoF. Piazza had the most votes of those that missed this year.

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

piazza will get in. it was a hell of a class this year. atlease maddux, glavine, cox, and smoltz are all in

• Like Like x 1
  4. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I do believe Baseball is my favorite sport. I like the AL Central division, even though the Yankees, from the Bronx, are considered America team and have been around for over a hundred years. Looking forward to April 1st. I also enjoy the day games here at Oneok field. night games are just not the same to me. also it was announced that the Yankees picked up the Tulsa Drillers as a Minor League affiliate. :) <----- thats the happy face.

5. The fact that Alan Trammell only received 25% HOF votes is a travesty and proves how ignorant baseball writers are. There are shortstops in the hall that can't match his body of work. By today's metrics, he had a higher WAR than Biggio.

There's a conspiracy theory about the HOF and Detroit Tigers. If Trammell, Jack Morris or Mickey Lolich had played their careers on either coast, the would have been first ballot inductees. Hell, players the likes of George Kell and Hal Newhouser had to wait for the Veterans Committee to elect them.

6. Borla

I agree that where a player ended up has a definite impact on their perception.

Go look in detail at Biggio's numbers and Jeter's numbers.

One guy had a .796 OPS, 291 HRs, 668 doubles, 414 steals, 3060 hits, and a total of 65 WAR.
    The other had a .817 OPS, 260 HRs, 544 doubles, 358 steals, 3465 hits, and a total of 72 WAR.

All in all, fairly similar stats. Yet one guy is going to get on 95%+ of the HoF ballots his first year eligible. The other guy took a couple of years to squeak over the 75% threshold.

Maybe playing in NY for the Yankees had an impact on that? :p

Not hating on Jeter. He deserves almost all of the accolades he's gotten (at least for everything but defense). But put him in Cleveland or Kansas City or San Diego and it wouldn't be so epic, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Biggio got in.
    He deserved to IMO.

And some worthy players didn't.
    It happens every year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Borla

Max Scherzer closing in on new multiyear contract - ESPN

Good for my White Sox, just getting him out of the division.

I'm not sure that the Nationals plan on keeping that entire rotation in place. I'm guessing a guy or two will be moved for other pieces, but that rotation, has some serious potential there if they all stay healthy.

9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Baseball and Hockey are two sports I get the blank stare look quickly when people start mentioning names. I do know the name Kirby Puckett for recent players, and definitely Randy Johnson as well. I remember when he was a Mariner.
    This thread has already dropped 7 names that I have never heard of.
    Anywho, never mind me. I shall attempt to add something more helpful. Are the Mariners still in the middle/bottom of the field this year based on reasonable projections? I gather they have been fair to poor in recent years.

10. Borla

You do know Kirby has been dead for about 9 years, right? :(

I always loved watching him.

While the Mariners haven't been to great recently, they look to be improved in 2015. They also benefit from playing in the same division as two teams (Rangers and Astros) that look to be pretty bad. Early projections have them just behind the Angels, and maybe neck-and-neck with the A's for second place in the division. For what that is worth in January.

11. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Cancer I think, thought it was 3-4 years off the top of my head (which is saying almost nothing with baseball).

12. Borla

He retired early due to glaucoma (kind of important to be able to see to hit a 96mph baseball). But he died of a massive stroke brought on by hypertension.

I was with you though, I knew it had been a few years, but had no clue it'd been almost a decade. Time flies.

13. Chris Noyb

The Astros are a bad team? Since when? :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. Borla

I have a buddy in Houston who is a die hard Astros fan.

As a White Sox fan, very few months I am sure to get a dig in reminding him about 2005. I try to make sure it comes completely out of the blue so it has the most impact. :p

15. Chris Noyb

One of our neighbors used to go in on a mini-season ticket deal with some of her friends (her hubs doesn't like baseball) and we'd get her tickets occasionally. She quit about five years ago. To die hard Astros fans Drayton McClane is a total anus.

Edit--Yes, I know that DM no longer owns the Astros.

16. Lloyd McClendon had the Mariners playing decent ball last season, contending for a wild card spot late into the season. He's a very good manager and I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle in the thick of things all season long.

Max to the Nats is a bit of a surprise... the money is flat our ludicrous! They're loaded with starting pitching in Washington. The Tigers should trade them a few prospects for Fister back!

Hey @Borla! Here's a proposition: we each start the season with a fictitious $162 and bet $1.00 per game... me on the Tigers, you on the White Sox. Who will have the most money at the end of the season? Even without Scherzer, I like my chances;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Borla

I think we'd be within a beer or two of each other with the improvements the Sox made.

How about we do it. The loser keeps the money in hand for the day if/when we get to say hello in person, and then he gets to buy the first beer or three. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deal!

• Like Like x 1
  19. oldkid

oldkid Vertical

Looking forward to seeing four great young Mets pitchers trying to outdo each other.

20. Borla

Ernie Banks just passed away at 83. :(
    --- merged: Jan 24, 2015 at 12:21 AM ---
    Some sources are saying he did NOT die of natural causes. But no other info yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015