1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe 30 Minute Meals

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Mar 17, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Perhaps of the Rachael Ray variety, perhaps not.

I thought this thread could be helpful to @ralphie250 and others looking to get dinner on the table quickly at the end of a busy day. I'll be using this thread to bring together some of the resources, tips, and tricks that I have. Feel free to do the same.

Here is a piece from The Kitchn with 15 dinners that take 30 minutes or less. Some of these are ones I'm looking forward to trying out. 15 Dinners You Can Make in 30 Minutes Quick Dinners from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Additionally, a number of these recipes look like great blueprints, such as
    Dinner Quick: Arugula with Orzo and Garden Tomatoes Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn There are lots of different ways to go with this recipe--spinach instead of arugula, for example. I'll probably be making this tonight, as I have goat cheese languishing in my fridge. I'll probably swap the fresh tomatoes (out of season) for sundried (already in the fridge). Personally, this recipe will be a great way to use produce from my garden once things start growing. There are some other recipes here that I'll likely take the meat out of, such as Weeknight Recipe: Southwest Skillet Ragu Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn (subbing in black beans), Recipe For One: Chickpeas, Kale, and Sausage with Oven-Baked Egg Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn, and Quick Dinner Recipe: Greek Pasta with Lamb, Zucchini, and Feta Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn.

What do you do to get dinner on the table quickly?

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Around our house having the pots, pans, utensils, etc. ready to go is the key. I can broil some chicken breasts (or what ever cut of meat), boil/steam a veggie or two, and boil pasta in about 20-30 minutes. It does take some experience to learn what to cook in which pan, when to start it, what temp for how long, when to flip it, etc. so that everything is done at about the same time. And sometimes I misjudge badly.

The meals certainly aren't gourmet, maybe even mundane by some standards, but they're balanced, tasty and nutritious.

I don't really have any 30 minute meals recipes to share. We do have a 30 minute meals cookbook, which pretty much stays in the blackhole we call the cookbook collection.

3. redux

redux Very Tilted

I always have a bag of shrimp (peeled and deveined) in the freezer. Pull out enough for a meal, a quick thaw under running cold water, cook up some pasta... and a shrimp and pasta dish w/butter, lemon juice, sesame oil, basil (if i have it) in no time.

4. snowy

Here's what I'm making tonight. It has very little prep. It takes 2 minutes to combine the ingredients in the slow cooker (roux cubes, frozen veggies, 1/2 cup water) and another minute to put the rice in the rice cooker. I let the slow cooker cook everything until the roux cubes are completely dissolved (about 1-2 hours).

[​IMG]

plus

[​IMG]

= delicious

It's not true curry rice, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

5. Chris Noyb

Snowy, what is the sodium content like? I'm always leary of the amount of sodium in prepackaged food. I don't have HBP, but my wife does.

6. snowy

840mg a serving. S&B Golden Curry (more common) is a little less at 820mg a serving.

7. Chris Noyb

Thanks! That doesn't seem out of line, based on what I read on many labels.

8. snowy

9. Chris Noyb

I had a cookbook that my mother gave me, Not Everything We Eat Is Curry, A Bengali Guide to Indian Cuisine. My wife eventually to it to school because one of the Indian teachers was from the Bengal region and wanted to see it. The book made the rounds among the Indian ladies, but never made its way back to my wife :mad: .

Luckily, in one of our junking/antiqueing adventures, we found another copy of the book.....signed by one of the authors!! The nice thing about the book is they make suggestions for substituting ingredients. We have recently (sort of) opened Asian supermarket near us that we need to visit.

BOT--I don't think that any of the rcipes in the book can be cooked in 30 minutes or less.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

Cheat like an Indian: Blended Spices - Products - Everest Spices When our buddy, who is originally from Andhra Pradesh, left town, he loaded us up with unopened boxes of spices from Everest. They're awesome.

11. Chris Noyb

Cool :cool:!

We have a Penzeys Spices retail store in the Heights, very close to many antique stores and a couple of thrift stores. The prices are pretty much in line with grocery store prices, but the spices are much fresher. Since spices are a food item, we don't pay sales tax (8.25% can add up pretty quickly when you do a major restocking).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. snowy

Love Penzeys. I need to stock up next time I'm in Portland.
    --- merged: Mar 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM ---
    Some fiberful easy meals: Budget, But Not Boring: 8 Fresh Ways to Eat Beans & Rice for Dinner | The Kitchn

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Jamie Oliver has a show about thirty minute meals, but the tricky bit is those are his thirty minutes. Had I his skill I wouldn't need recipe ideas off the TV.

Beans and rice are one of my favourite go-to meals when I'm feeling lazy. They're cheap, easy to make, tasty, and nutritious. If it's not that, I'll probably do an alfredo for a quick dinner. I can whip that together in about fifteen minutes but it's not nearly as healthy.

I don't really do recipes in the strictest sense of it. I could list the ingredients I need, but amounts, seasonings, all of that stuff I just make up as I go along. Usually it turns out okay.

I'd hardly call myself a gourmet chef but a few TFPers have eaten my cooking and none of them have died, so I can't be that terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

Mmmm carbonara.

15. Chris Noyb

I'm sometimes amazed/sceptical when the chefs claim how easy it is to cook something. Of course it's easy when you have X number of years of cooking experience, and a staff to do much of the prep work. Americas Test Kitchen (or whatever it's called now) does a good job of being honest about prep time.

That sounds a lot like how I cook everyday meals. We'll break out the cookbooks or use recipes found on the net for some of our 'nicer' meals. Our usual MO is pretty much follow the recipe the first time (unless we see something that just won't work for us), and tweak it as needed if we try it again.

16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Most of those 30 minute meals are 45 to 60 minutes when you add in the prep time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

On the other hand, if you practice your knife and prep skills, it does become possible to make those meals in 30 minutes, or you can recruit help. My husband often acts as my sous chef. That allows me to be at the stove doing one thing while he preps stuff. His knife skills aren't as good as mine, but he's getting there.

I usually modify existing recipes to use a chop-and-drop method if they aren't written that way already. Mise en place is great for some things, especially when you need to add several ingredients to the pan at once, but chop-and-drop can be a huge timesaver. For example, we often make veggie tacos in about 15 minutes, and it's all about the chop-and-drop. While the pan is heating, I chop the onion. While the onion sautes, I chop the mushrooms and rehydrate some TVP in the microwave. Once the onion is translucent, I add the mushrooms and continue cooking while I chop the pepper. Once that's done and added to the pan, I add the TVP and season everything.

18. Chris Noyb

Coordinated co-cooking is a huge help. A long time ago my wife let it be known that complicated recipes would involve me helping. FTR, she doesn't have to twist my arm (although I do find the female definition of needing help differs greatly from the male definition of needing help).

19. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Magpie helps me by staying out of my way. I offer her the same courtesy.

Our kitchen isn't big enough for that.

20. Chris Noyb

Things get crowded when we're both at the rangetop. I'm semi-claustrophobic, and very much need my personal space. We do a pretty good job of dividing the tasks to staout of each others way.

If I ever get the chance to design & build the kitchen of my dreams...................................................

• Like Like x 1