1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Best Family Board Games

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cis689, Nov 19, 2012.

1. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Hey Guys,

Looking for some good ideas on newer family style board games. I have Monopoly and Life.

I heard Apples to Apples was really good. Anyone played it?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Apples to Apples can be fun. It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember having fun.

There are also the obvious ones of Pictionary and the various iterations of Trival Pursuit (some on topics that even kids could compete).

• Like Like x 1
  3. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Forgot about Pictionary, that was always fun. Thank you!

4. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I like Cranium a lot. Outburst, scattergories, catchphrase, and scrabble are also always fun in a group setting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

We are boardgame nuts!

Pandemic
    Roborally
    Powergrid
    Settlers of Catan
    Galaxy Truckers
    Days of Steam
    Ticket to Ride

• Like Like x 2
  6. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Days of Wonder fans :) - I seen that Ticket to Ride pop up on several sites. I downloaded the free version on the iphone and played it for a bit last night. How does that translate to the boardgame?
    --- merged: Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM ---
    Cranium is on my list for sure!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

• Like Like x 2
  8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Settlers of Catan is all the rage.

It says it's for ages 10 and up.

It's similar to Monopoly in that it's all about resource management and negotiation. I find it's more engaging though, since all players have to do something each turn, even if it's just checking to see if resources need collecting. Negotiations can happen on every turn, so you're always thinking ahead about who you want to deal with.

I can't think of anyone who has tried this game and not liked it.

The game is friggin' brilliant, and it even has expansions to add new dimensions to it.

It's a masterpiece, really.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Cranium and Guess Who have been the go to games for the kids lately.

Plan9 - dude. Parcheesi is the booomb! Took it down a few weeks ago to play with the kids/wife and they told me I took it way too seriously. They won't play monopoly with me either :(

Sorry Sliders is big with my daughter, regular sorry is big with my son. I need to find a way to combine them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

I always thought Parchessi was a dice game or something. I will check that one as well as Settlers of Catan

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I hear ya on the the "too seriously" part. Parcheesi is what it takes for my current girlfriend to call me a motherfucker.

Whenever I win, I offer her a chance to play a game she can't lose at... but, uh, that one isn't family friendly, though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The classic, Carcassonne
    Settlers of Catan (still need to buy this one, Christmas is coming up)
    Dominion for older kids
    Cranium and the producers of Cranium make a bunch of other games that are quite fun too
    Taboo
    Catchphrase

And yes, Apples to Apples is great for everyone of all ages. My 84-year-old grandma loves it, as do the rest of us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Rummikub. Total addict here. My kids are now pros and no one who comes around on a regular basis gets out without learning how to play.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My sister brings a new game every year.
    We have an old Scrabble that's from the 70's that rocks. She makes us play Apples to Apples all the time. It was fun at first. Now it's torture.
    Scattegories is awesome, so is Taboo. Yahtzee, backgammon, cribbage, Pictionary (we use small dry-erase boards), and anything trivia-based.
    My sister actually unfriended my husband on Words With Friends because he beat her three times. :D

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Love that game.

We also play gin rummy when camping, as it only takes a deck of cards.
    --- merged: Nov 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM ---
    My friends from college banned me from playing Trivial Pursuit. I was relegated to being the moderator. I'm just that awesome :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I tried to bring in Uno, Skip-Bo, and Phase 10, but they said they were stupid. :(
    THEY are stupid. I freaking love trivia... the only person better than I am is my stupid sister.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I love playing cards. Poker, black jack, rummy, hearts, spades. Ante up some coinage and I love it even more. I like Trivial Pursuit as well though I haven't played it in ages. The last time I played Pictionary with my family I was forever banned from the game for drawing a picture of a "cunt" to get my then boyfriend to guess "hunt" (We won)

• Like Like x 2
  18. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Risk yet.... its the cause of many family fights....

Euchre was a big one but I play that with buddies now that there's four of us that know how to play...
    Uno, Monopoly or Scrabble.... we used to play games all the time...
    --- merged: Nov 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM ---
    we use to be ruthless with our games... my family is super competitive so winning at anything allows for some bragging rights time....

• Like Like x 1
  19. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Love me some Risk. (and stratego) but the kids aren't too much into that one. I can't understand why either :)

20. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Sooo many good family memories involving Risk..... just the sheer brutality and dog eat dog mentality my family had about it, it was definitely a mental game at our house. I could never get the hang of Stratego.

Connect Four might be another good one