1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

A Holiday Card

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by kramus, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kramus

kramus what I might see

My daughter headed off to Australia from Kanuckistan this past August. A gift to herself for the work she put in to getting her honours BA (Deans List). She just posted a bunch of pics on Facebook of a tour she took of the Great Ocean Road, and there were some nice photos of koalas gamboling about in the treetops of their native habitat. So I thought I'd do her a Christmas card using an amalgamation of those koalas and add a bit of back-home spin while I'm at it. Now to get it into the mail.

5" x 7" pencil/colour pencil.

Chantal Xmas Card Australia 2011 800 size.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. kramus

kramus what I might see

Thanks Craven.

Just a note - I couldn't make the wee fellow too cheery. They (koala bears in general) look like a bunch of grumps to me, to be honest. But I had to give him at least a bit of a smile. My Lady thinks he looks like a fat old man. Which would then make him either Santa or a self portrait. The jury is still out. I just got back from the Post Office, and he is now off and away.

3. He's ADORABLE! I agree that Koalas look like old grumps, but cuddly old grumps!

As always, you did an awesome job!

4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Love the leaf!!!

5. kramus

kramus what I might see

Thanks Grasshopper :)

ZS - I was sort of wishing I had my ma's koala bear as a visual reference while doing the card - she got it from her Aussie Grampa and it is as soft as soft. Not sure, but I think there is real koala fur on it (remember, this would be a stuffed toy from the 1930's). That would have been an awesome reference for me to have for the drawing. I didn't really have a good look at the ears and such in my daughter's pics, but I know the little guys seem like they are luxuriously soft to touch.

streak - for reference I was using a fallen maple leaf I picked up a few weeks ago and sprayed with cooking oil to keep it's colour shiny. It is all curly and dry of course, but I thought that if I used it to tell me the general shape of the leaf, and kept in mind the logo type leaves that are out there I could come up with something that looks like it belongs to a Canuck hoser :)