1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Aging Rockers - Rush is getting old!

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Leto, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

So, Rush has been around as a group for a few years now, and are currently on their last major tour. They just played 2 dates in (hometown) Toronto one in Montreal and are now heading out to Boston. This tour will complete on August 1, in Los Angeles.

I've always thought that groups didn't have an end date - musicians should play for as long as they feel they are relevant, or for as long as they want to get their art out to the world. So, when Rush announced that they will stop touring after this summer, I was kind of disappointed. But it seems that there are physical reasons for this:

' On April 29, 2015 Alex Lifeson officially announced that this would be the final large-scale Rush tour due to his psoriatic arthritis and (Neil) Peart's chronic tendonitis ' (not good for a drummer!).

Rush (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least it sounds like their craft will continue if not their touring. What does TFP think of these guys? worth catching?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRuj2_czzw

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Not a huge Rush fan, but if I had the chance to see them live, I wouldn't say no. I think they've certainly earned their retirement, and all accounts I've seen suggest they still put on a great show.

• Like Like x 1
  3. omega

omega Very Tilted

[​IMG]
    Here is my Rush concert shirt from 2004, outside of Washington DC. I also saw them in the 90's in college in Atlanta. Saw them most recently at Red Rocks a few years ago. The point is, they are fucking old. Of course, I'm getting kind of oldish too. I like them. They are incredible musicians and create a wall of sound with just the three of them. But I also haven't really cared for any of their recent work.

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Not a Rush fan, their music never clicked with me. But Neil Peart did have a truly impressive drum kit.

I saw them way back on the 2112, & All The World's A Stage (both released in '76) tour. Unfortunately they played at least 50% louder than the venue could handle. I mean serious brain pulverizing volume (and I was used to loud concerts!).

If you like Rush, by all means go see them.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Sometimes, it just gets to a point...you need to retire. (some don't...but it's usually pretty obvious...)

David Lee Roth
    Vince Neil

If you're shuffling back & forth, if you have lost your voice...and so on
    I'd remember you like you were.
    Don't worry, I'll still buy your album again when a new format comes out...again. (the royalties will continue...some hot chicks will still do ya :rolleyes:)

I'm not sure about Rush, I haven't seen them live recently (other than thinking Neil Peart is starting to look like WC Fields)

6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Makes me think of Ozzie Osbourne.

But BB King could rock it, and he was almost 90 when he died.

7. Chris Noyb

Ozzie Osbourne. I don't when, or even if, he quit, or cut back on, the drugs & booze. If he did he waited way too long.

The Rolling Stones. Some people claim they still have it; I doubt it. Mick & Keith set the song list, but don't even meet face to face, they have someone carry the list back & forth. Sometimes they faxed it, maybe these days they text. The band sometimes doesn't even do their own sound check. The instrument techs & sound guys do it (I wonder if they could do a better Rolling Stones concert than the actual Rolling Stones?).

8. I'm still rocking and I just turned 61!:eek:

While I have always had respect for their musicianship, I have never been a Rush fan. Tour/don't tour, just keep rocking!

• Like Like x 4
  9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I was talking to a friend about this and the question is how much is it about the money and how much is it about needing to get out and play?
    Most of them have plenty of money, I'm sure they have a nut they need to make every year in terms of feeding the monster, all the support staff and such but in the long run how much do they really need to make?
    So does it come down to just needing to get out and play, to be musicians, to do what they love and be who they have been all their lives?
    Then wouldn't it be the greatest thing to do like Jack White did and just show up some place, play a small auditorium with 24 hours notice, at $5 bucks a head.
    Or play a show in some sleazy bar someplace?
    Just do that all over the country with out telling people where you're going to be or when.
    Have it really be about the music.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I've seen them a over 20's times. First when they were opening for KISS. Maybe 197???. I thought they did better then Kiss. Rush has always rolled with it in there own way. They make their sound, hmmm not sure how to say this, I guess not current and not trendy but always relevant somehow, someway. Least that's the way I've always seen their live shows. I'd pay good $ to see them tomorrow.

A band I wouldn't see again- The Stones. Same movie over and over and if you want to be close enough to actually see them you're talking a couple K.. Sorry, been there done that. Enjoyed it a lot, really a lot. But, well, never again. I own a Blue Ray, surround sound and flat screen. Seeing them at home beats having some 70 yr old ask me to sit down so she can see. Yeah like I wanna to stare at the 75yr old man's ass in front of me. Or listen to some 20 yr old scream- Him- "Alright! "Someone pee on the devil!" Classic, baby I'm telling you that's... that's a classic." Her- "I don't know this one." Me either young lady, me either.

11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Seems we need a topic for geezer rock.

Never saw Rush, don't dislike them; but they just didn't click with me.

Buddy Guy can single-handedly eliminate any perception that old guys can't rock. Ian Anderson is a prime example of someone who's voice is gone and ought to hang it up.
    The Led Zep and Pink Floyd reunions sounded damn good to me.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I've seen Buddy Guy a number of times. He frequently makes special unannounced appearances at concerts in Chicago. You never know when he'll walk out on stage. I've seen him end up playing at everything from a Dave Matthews Band concert to an Eric Clapton show. I'm always impressed. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Since this has turned into a geezer bands/musicians thread, I'll share some random thoughts.

I'd like to see Buddy Guy live, don't care how old he is. Every performance I've seen on the net & TV has been impressive. Yeah, he still has it AND brings it. And he seems to really enjoy sharing the stage.

I bought boxed DVD set of Rolling Stones concerts, Four Flicks, only because it was dirt cheap. Everything seems....I dunno....bland, even though they move around a lot. I guess going through the motions would be a good description.

--------------------

There aren't many bands from my youth that I'd go through any real effort or expense to see. Maybe....

....Robin Trower. He plays small clubs and seems to still get a kick out of performing even though his 'arena' days are over. Except maybe as part of a multi-band tour, which seems to be what many 'geezer' bands do these days, which is good for fans.

....Pink Floyd, which would most likely exclude Roger Waters (still hard feelings with Gilmour & Mason, despite the reunion appearances, and not to be harsh, but his voice is pretty much shot these days), and Richard Wright, RIP, passed away in 2008.

....Dave Alvin. He plays some small club gigs in & around Houston. I either learn of the show too late, or aren't able to go.

....Most of the blues and jazz musicians I saw many years ago are now deceased or long retired. Willie Dixon, Sonny Rollins, Gatemouth Brown, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, just to name a few.

....Many of the local bands that I used to see are long gone. Very few members are still around the Texas music scene.

14. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Neil Young is 69. He seems to remain relevant and even as provocative (oil pipe lines? MP3 music files? Starbucks?) now as he was in the FarmAid era, Kent State and even back in the Yorkville scene in Toronto. One of the geezers of rock that doesn't rest on his laurels.

Yeah, I would pay to see him play.
    I also would pay to see Supertramp just one more time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Some geezer (by age) bands have managed not to be considered geezer bands. Off the top of my head, Bruce Springsteen and U2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. omega

omega Very Tilted

It's funny when old people think their old stuff is still relevant. Bruce Springsteen wrote a couple songs done better by others, but that guy was old sounding in the 80's. When apple stuck a single from u2 on iTunes, there were enough young people asking who the hell this band was.

17. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The Rolling Stones still kick ass though :cool:

And Mick Jagger still moves around with some energy...you gotta give him credit.

18. Chris Noyb

For his age alone, yeah to a degree. As a performer bringing it, no.
    --- merged: Jun 24, 2015 1:43 PM ---

Yet both still sell out concerts in very large arenas despite declines in album sales.

While many other aging rockers play in much smaller venues, and/or join multi-geezer-band tours.

Mentioning Springsteen, I have two concerts on DVD, Live In Barcelona (2002) and Live at Hammersmith Odeon (1975). The 2002 concert is good....but....the 1975 concert KICKS ASS!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I guess that will always happen, regardless of the era - I know that during my high school years, there was a huge and persistent nostalgia for a 25 year old music genre (R&R from the 50's to wit: Sha Na Na, Happy Days, American Graffiti ) that had a lot of us asking who the hell these guys were. But it seemed to co-exist with the mainstream AM & FM offerings. I guess we all viewed the aging Elvis fans with their Brylcreamed pompadors back then, the way 80's rockers holdouts look now.

My thoughts are that music in general will stand the test of time regardless of its genre or styling, and successful groups will not only evolve the art, but will recognize the roots as well. I'll never forget the time I (a die hard punk fan) happened upon a free concert with Ella Fitzgerald and Buddy Rich, one cold summer day at the Ontario Place Forum. Even though I was chilled to the bone, I couldn't leave. It was awesome.

(I actually found a review of that afternoon in 1979: The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search )

• Like Like x 1
  20. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

speaking of Buddy Rich (and in support of dentists everywhere):