1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon is purchasing Whole Foods.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

It continues to amaze me (shouldn't at this point I guess) how far Amazon has permeated the market in..........everything. I was a fairly early adapter, I have orders on my account stretching back to early 1999. At first I bought mostly books, with a few electronics scattered in. Over time, as their offerings expanded, their shipping times shortened, and shipping costs were reduced, I purchased more and more from Amazon.

At this point though, I'm almost worried about how huge a place in the market they take up, and how massive their presence will be in the future. Not that they are a nefarious corporation or anything, I just see them turning into a bigger version of Walmart, invading all markets, pushing out local and small business, then being dominant in the marketplace.

While the value of my Amazon stock loves the moved they've made the last few years, and I am guilty of being a frequent customer, it is just something I've thought about a lot more lately. This Whole Foods purchase makes me feel even more that way.

Any thoughts?
    What do you buy from Amazon?
    Are you a frequent customer, occasional, or not at all?
    Any fears of one company being a huge supplier in so many markets?

2. We buy everything from Amazon pretty much. I tend to be more adamant about buying local, but a lot of what we but can't be found local. Our food purchases tend to be either the farmers' market or the local Winco. Things may change for us now with Amazon's new business model.

Amazon is convenient. I don't have time to go from store to store looking for the best deals. Add a Toddler in the mix and it's even harder.

I'm not that scared about this. It all seems inevitable. I could see Amazon playing a role in other company's Supply Chain Management system. It already does for some. The optimistic in me thinks there's opportunity here for other businesses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Yeah, we buy a massive amount of things from them right now.

Did you know you can pull your entire spend history with Amazon since 2006?

Click on "Your Account" and sign in.
    Look at the box "Ordering and Shipping Preferences".
    Click on "Download order reports".
    You can customize the report however you like.

*goes to generate report*

837 orders since 2006. $31,276.27
    Yikes.

4. I don't think I want to see that......
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 16, 2017 ---
    Uggg curiosity got the best of me.

Not bad though. Only 125 orders totaling $2,872.47. It would probably have been more if I still lived in Ohio and had to pay tax on the items.

I must know what DaddySquirrel's totals are. He gets something twice a week to my once a month. Hw also buys more expensive stuff.

5. Borla

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Any thoughts?
    I do a lot of business with both, I don't see any reason that will change

What do you buy from Amazon?
    Cds & electronics. I listen to blues and geezer rock, neither is easy to find locally. Computer stuff generally comes from Newegg, audio from ebay; but some things are easier to find on Amazon.

Are you a frequent customer, occasional, or not at all?
    See below.

Any fears of one company being a huge supplier in so many markets?
    I worry more about them screwing up Whole Foods. If I wanted to shop at Walmart, I would.
    I'm aware of what they did to book stores, I don't think that's really possible with groceries.

You beat me; but barely.
    1441 orders, $30,672.26

As best I can tell, this is items, rather than orders. Probably 1200 or so cds in my case.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I never knew that you could look this up. I have 202 orders (soon to be 203), and spent $11,974, that is actually less than I had expected over the past 10 years.

8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'd buy all of my drugstore-type items (that I can't get from Costco) from Amazon if I could. Subscribe and save is my favorite.

And I've only spent $6579.61. Not bad! I was afraid it would be more

10. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

We've bought a wide variety from them since 2006. Just occasional customer when I can't buy local (selection or time) Quality is a crap shoot, just like stores. Paper shredder is good. Passed on the $4000 one.
    Buying Whole Foods won't make my pillowcases get here from China any sooner, no matter how misleading the listing. No online store has dishonestly changed my order date when the order was over 3 weeks late, to make it appear not late. With this dishonesty, Amazon will never be my go-to king, just my occasional bitch.

11. Borla

When your order got messed up, did you address it with their customer service?

I've had a few experiences where things were late, damaged, or otherwise less than satisfactory. Every time that I've complained their CS has went over the top to make it right. I think I posted once about my Pantry order ($150-200 in food) being late by one business day, so they gave it to me for free. Another time a record's sleeve was damaged, so they ended up giving it to me free.

Though I'm starting to be sceptical of their market intrusions, their service has always been incredible for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I find this combination especially odd.
    1) I was shocked that Whole Foods had much appeal, and grew enough in my lifetime to be a national chain.
    2) It seems that a lot of people who shop exclusively at whole foods are not huge fans of amazon. Perhaps this is a wrong assumption based on my small sample size.
    3) I'm curious what this will mean for Amazon's Pantry options.
    4) There was a small piece in the Investor's Business Daily this weekend that highlighted the similarities and differences between Walmart and Amazon, and how they are both expanding in ways that make them increasingly similar.

13. Borla

For the last couple of years I've kind of viewed Amazon as the cooler online cousin of Walmart, with long term plans to basically be the Walmart of online commerce before Walmart realizes online commerce will some day be more important than brick and mortar commerce.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

We use Amazon Prime for shipping, shows, movies, Kindle library, etc. I honestly don't know what we do without the service at this point. :rolleyes: If my husband needs a new printer, one of the kids needs a drawing tablet for their computer, I need arches oil paper, or we need a present delivered fast I sign right into Amazon. The purchase of Whole Foods is odd and I'm curious to see what it will mean for the future. I'm unnerved by the drone delivery system, but as it is not in our area have no personal experience with it. As the dystopian is becoming part of our daily life I guess we should welcome our new automated overlords...or something. :(:eek:

Books and Textbooks totally forgot those in the list! Our daughter is a college student and we buy many a book on Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

The AmazonGoogleplex scares me very much, but it is nice they are refurbishing their listening devices.