1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

American Music Awards - tonight...

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Leto, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

What the fuck happened to music??? I haven't heard so much dreck at once in, well, ever. From the opening piece by Jennifer Lopez to the filler until Nellie Furtado, it has been an awful collection of auto- tuned blandness. There was a guitar band that was half decent (5 minutes to the beach?). anyway, I'm now killing time until Walking Dead comes on.

maybe I'll do the dishes.

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Don't worry grandpa, these musicians are making music for us. It's our job to get out of the way.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Remember that the AMAs are basically a popularity contest.

Remember also that pop music has never really been that good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

point taken. yeah, I'm old...

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The last time I watched one of the 'mixed artist' shows was a tribute to Stvevie Wonder. The sad news is only about 1/3 of the "artists" came close to doing Stevie's music justice.

If the youth want the talent-less likes of Justin Bieber and Nicky "Mirage" Minaj, they're welcome to them.

/iamageezer

6. Baraka_Guru

They're actually more talented than many people give them credit for (even if many don't like what they do with it).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

The two I mentioned have little if any talent.

8. Baraka_Guru

I guess it depends on what you mean by "talent."

9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

The Beatles were considered pop, in their day.You could probably say the same about Mozart.

There are a lot of new artists that I like, though none of them would pass for pop. I'm fine with my geezer taste in music.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I'm not sure about what pop is anymore. It used to be (geezer hat is on) something that had a beat, was enjoyable. light, you know .... poppy. But when I saw the audience just standing there making half hearted attempts to move to the groove (?) of Jennifer Lopez's opening number, well, I just knew it wasn't me alone that was lost.

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Me too, brother. Me too.

12. Baraka_Guru

The meaning of "pop music" today is different than what it used to be. It used to mean, generally, "non-classical music," or rock 'n' roll (in the '60s for example). That doesn't really stand today.

It doesn't really suit Mozart either, because he was highly influential, and despite his popularity and prolificness he didn't make a lot of money doing what he did.

13. Chris Noyb

Music doesn't mean much to me these days, and I'm also fine with my geezer taste in music.

Bieber & Minaj, just to name two, there are many others in pop music--Weak voices (Mirage can't sing for shit), and dance moves that aren't anything special. Their talent seems to be obtaining and maintaining popularity. I'd call them entertainers rather than "musical artists." And that's fine with me to a certain degree as long I don't have to see and hear them.

14. Baraka_Guru

I don't know what you're talking about, as Minaj has good flow and wordplay. The usual criticisms people lob at her have to do with her subject matter and looks. As for her dancing, it sounds like you haven't seen the video for "Anaconda." :p

As for Bieber, I simply don't like his style of music. Many don't, and many others don't like him for his personality and antics. I get all of that. He doesn't have a fantastic voice, but to say he has a "weak voice" is kind of pushing it. Maybe it's not as good post-puberty, but he can still do things with it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

It's a generational thing. What I expect from a singer to consider them a real singer is different from what you expect from a singer. Many pop singers these days use processed (auotune?) vocals; to me it's like listening to a machine sing, which is a pretty accurate description.

I won't be checking out the Mirage video any time soon ;) :p. What little I've seen of her "talent" on TV will last me a very, very long time.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I know what @Baraka_Guru really likes about Nicki Minaj.

17. Baraka_Guru

One thing, maybe. :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Her feminism? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Baraka_Guru

Okay, two things, or maybe more....

• Like Like x 2