1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Any College Football fans? What games are you going to this year?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I've always been a big NFL fan, but in the last few years I've found myself watching and following college football far more than in the past. My business travel takes me all over the state of IA, including a lot of travel around Iowa City where the University of Iowa is. Because most of my customers follow Iowa football, I've started following it the last few years. Last year I was at the Michigan State/Iowa game (awesome seats, 7-8 rows up on the 45 yard line). We tailgated for a few hours before the game and it was just an awesome time.

This year I'm going to visit a buddy in Oregon and we are going to Oregon's home opener against Nevada. Our seats are about 25 rows up on the 35 yard line, so they should be pretty awesome. I'm also looking at another Iowa game with customers this year.

So I ask you, do you follow college football? If so, what programs, and what games do you plan on attending this year? :)

2. Mirth

Mirth New Member

I used to be huge into the NFL back in my teen years, but the older I got, the more my friends moved on in their lives so I had less people to discuss the games with. But since I've made some more friends again, who are mostly into college football, I got into that last year.

I moved to Tuscaloosa, AL for a few months last year to stay with my friends who went to college at the University Of Alabama. I quickly became a fan and went to many of the Home games up there, including the shocking Iron Bowl 2010 game against Auburn. Also went to the Capital One Bowl in Orlando vs Michigan State. So yeah, I'm a fan of the Crimson Tide, and living/being from Florida, I have to hate the University of Florida Gators. I guess I spend my time mostly watching SEC games, but if there's not one on I don't mind watching games from other conferences.

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Ohio State, baby! This season will probably suck, what with all the shenanigans that went on last year, but...they're still my team. I also like Miami (Ohio) and the University of Cincinnati (can you tell I'm an Ohio girl?)

I probably won't be going to any of those games this year, but maybe I can talk Lordeden into going to watch a UNC game with me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I get free student tix to Oregon State games...obviously, as an alumna, I am a huge Beaver fan. I plan on attending as many games as I can, given that getting tickets may be difficult while working full-time.

5. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Like Cinn, I too am a Bucknut. However, the closest game they play this year is in Miami, FL. Sadly, I will have to watch them in HD instead.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Some time in the next few weeks I'm going to follow my boyfriend to Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm from Kansas, but I've always been a Husker fan. I'm looking forward to a Husker game or two, if my Sig other can get tickets. The deadline for faculty tickets was back in May, but he wasn't yet hired by the deadline, so may not get season tickets for this year. Tickets are hard to come by. They've sold out for over three hundred consecutive games. I won't be as rabid as most Big Red fans, but I know I'd enjoy the experience, and I have a young nephew that plays in the band.:) It's Nebraska's first year in the Big Ten, so I'm sure that will be interesting.

Lindy

7. University of Colorado is my school... But...

Florida Gators. All the way.

8. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Most likely the Queen's homecoming weekend game - it's against Laurier. Or perhaps the last regular game against Western.

Go Gaels! Cha ghèill!

9. Smackre

Smackre Vertical

Ohio State! Not sure if I will go to any this year but will not pass up the chance if I can find not bad tickets. Course there is no such thing as bad seating in the shoe.

10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I am a college football widow. I have a few hobbies that I really only enjoy when my hubby is busy watching football.

My husband LOVES college football, and during the season his life revolves around cheering on his favorite teams. He follows the Pac-12 conference especially, a difficult feat in Ohio. We are both Cal fans, but he also follows UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, ASU, Fresno State... honestly I can't keep track of all the teams he follows. He's the kind of guy who loves stats and predicts what will happen with each game, refuses to pay much attention to games where the teams are not well-matched.

I tend to passively glance at Cal games when they're on. I enjoy having Cal spirit paraphernalia around our home. That's the extent of my fan-dom.

11. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I've co-opted the team of my lady's alma mater, the University of Tennessee Knoxville, considering she's the one that got me interested in football to begin with.

Probably not going to any games, but the vibes—positive or negative, based on the team's performance—will be infectious when we attend her family reunion in Tennessee two months from now.

12. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My interest in the local teams extends to making fun of the the Vandals and Cougars. They both have ugly colours unlike the Oregon Ducks, but they certainly have a good fanbase around here. That is no doubt helped by the nearest NBA team being 6 hours away in Portland and the nearest NFL team a similar distance in Seattle.

13. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I follow Michigan and Iowa. Usually I root for Michigan, then Iowa, then the Big Ten, then anyone against Notre Dame.

I don't think that I will make it to any games this Fall. My kids, however, will be tailgating at the Iowa-Tennessee Tech game.

14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I'm a Buckeye. I will be going to at least 4 Ohio State home games this year, and I'm disappointed that the game against that team up North isn't at home this year. I'll survive, though.

I don't really care for any other teams.. the Horseshoe will always be the only place I really care to see some college football.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm trying to be a Beaver fan since I work for the school....I guess I haven't been here long enough, and they haven't given me a reason to really love them yet. My bosses have been teasing me with skybox tickets since my interview. They keep changing their minds on whether or not they need me to schmooze donors at the games. There is talk of hosting an alumni event in Seattle when the Beavers play Washington State. If I organize that crap, they better get me a ticket. Also, some of my Duck friends and I are talking about going to the Civil War game.

As an alumna I'll definitely be following the Redhawks...the reigning MAC champions....all season. They won't be anywhere near me though. I believe they will be going to be playing Boise State in 2012 though. I'll make the trek up there for that.

16. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

[​IMG]

i am a georgia fan through and through. i have been to the florida georgia game twice and had a blast.
    --- merged: Aug 23, 2011 6:57 PM ---
    [​IMG]

17. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Had an awesome time at the Oregon game last weekend. Looks like my Iowa game will be against ULM a week from Sat. :cool: