1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Any other flashlight addicts here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Shagg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I've got 3 high lumen LED flashlights, 5 lower power LED lights, countless low power lights ranging from pelicans , the whole range of mag lights to crank driven emergency lights, and then a pocket sun.

The need for more light has driven me to after market lenses and high power lithium ion batteries of varying chemistries.

anyone else?

2. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

me me! I have handful, I really want to invest in a current top-of-the-line flashlight but the options are getting soo side I can't pick one.

My current favorite is this mammut headlamp. Zooms easily and has decent power. It doesn't get any better than this for outdoor night use.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/232000121_v_5018/X-Zoom.html

3. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

4. When I first saw this thread I thought it was fleshlight not flashlight and thought it would be quite interesting to read the responses.

Carry on.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

6. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

I'm totally in need of using a fleshlight while looking at that flashlight :eek:
    that's awesome, not as expensive as expected but still pretty pricey!

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Forget flashlights.

I love my Spot:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

Nebo's are a gateway drug. I've got 3 of the Redline's and my wife has a CSI Quatro. The bezel is a bit annoying though, it's sharp enough that it will tear though any holster and it will scratch up pretty much anything else kept in the pocket with it. For 25 bucks though, it's a hard light to beat.

9. Random McRandom

The bezel is the most annoying part admittedly, but the light is just so awesome I can get around it.

I'm diggin on that SAR extreme now...

10. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

This is my walking around light.

3000 lumens, with this thing I don't need a gun. 6 inches long and weighs about a pound and a half.
    [​IMG]

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

The flashlight I carry on me everyday is a Maratac 1x AA. It's the perfect general purpose EDC light, IMO.

The Surefire X300 is my preferred rifle-mounted flashlight (12 o'clock) due to the push-forward activation.

The Streamlight TLR-1 is my preferred pistol-mounted flashlight due to its tight rocker switch.

If you're not using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries or similar, you need to upgrade. They're totally worth the price.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I'm using 3100 mA 18650 lithium ion rechargeables in most of my lights. The power demands on most of my lights are so ridiculous that using anything except a rechargeable wouldn't be cost effective. The Big Bruiser pictured above, goes through a 4000 mA 26650 in about 20 minutes.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Mmm, a 120 lumen flashlight is pretty much all I'm ever going to need as far as something I carry routinely. Unless I'm part of search and rescue operations or something, a really bright light is either too bulky or will only serve to blind me with its horrendous splashback when I'm using it in either a defensive situation or for detail work. Carrying a mega lumen flashlight for everyday use is like carrying a M79 as your concealed carry piece: you can do it, sure, but it's just too much.

Two other crucial items that go with a general purpose flashlight are retention related: a good pocket clip and a wrist lanyard. I use the TEC Accessories P7 Suspension Clip to hang the flashlight inside my jeans (so it stays put, doesn't roll around in my pocket) on my non-dominant side with a loop of 550 cord through the small split ring secured with a figure eight knot as a wrist lanyard. It allows me to quickly go both hands on whatever, ditching the light without worrying about dropping it as I stuff it in my pocket. If you have a flashlight that doesn't have an integrated pocket clip but allows for a lanyard, the P7 clip really is the way to go for everyday carry. It's one of those crazy little "Why didn't I think of that?" items.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  14. Random McRandom

shit.. I have so much 550cord I should make those and sell them.

While I'm no where near SAR certified yet, I can see the larger ones working well, but I would still feel naked not having my Nebo Redline in that situation. I carry mine everywhere and it's clipped to the side of my pack when I go hiking/climbing/camping. I like the strobe features on the Nebo and it's not heavy and bulky and obviously doesn't take up much pack space since I have a spot for it on my pack. I have one of those fancy schmancy digital camo military backs a (army..*gasp*)friend gave me. I can put like 11 bodies in that thing it's so huge. I need to find a smaller one for more general use.

15. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I have an assortment of Fenix/4sevens/streamlight and some generic led flashlights I bought from Costco.

I always have a flashlight on me, and it's usually the 4sevens Preon 2. It's extremely thin and comes with a pocket clip. I usually forget I even have it on me, but then when I need light I've got 160 lumens ready to go. I was at a relative's house for Christmas when the power went out suddenly. While everyone else was scrambling to find their cell phones in the dark to use them as impromtu flashlights, I whipped out my Preon 2 from my pocket and provided light for everyone else.

I got my girlfriend a limited edition pink preon 1 for her birthday. After I bought it for her I saw that it sold out and I considered keeping it for myself since it will likely become a collector's item, but I decided to proceed with my original plan and I gave it to her. She is always commenting about how often she uses it.

A flashlight and pocket knife really are indispensable.

• Like Like x 2
  16. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I love the different technologies involved... I have small LED's; multi LED's, BIG 10million candlepower; some really neat solar ones that will last a night on a single charge (single LED, but it's still there for the whole night!)... and still my favourite - my 20 year-old Pelican diver's light, guaranteed for life against everything except sharks and children under 5 (in the warranty, lol).

17. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Holy shit batman that looks like your bat light, someone must have gotten into the bat cave.

18. master

master New Member

I have also a few flashlights. My last purchase was Armytek Predator. I like that this flashlight has 5 modes and I can choose any I like. Most of all my dog likes strobe:)
    Try to take some photos later.
    Now I' thinking about small led flashlight. Any recommendations...?

19. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

I have 6 on my phone alone :) And skinny ones that I can hang around my neck with light/color/strobe options (we have red, blue, and green ones). An assortment of big/small ones thanks to my ex's obsession with them. He thinks they make the perfect gift. And when I need one, I'm glad he thinks that way.

20. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted