1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone following the Anon v. Steubenville, Ohio HS rapist story making it's way around today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It's horrific that this can happen.
    Cliffnotes - A boy decides to get back at his 16 year old ex-gf. He and his buddies from the football team decide to drug her into unconsciousness. They haul her from party to party allowing guys to gang rape her, sodomize her, and urinate on her. They take pictures. They send out social messages. Tweet jokes about it. And then make a 12 minute film joking in vulgar terms about how "dead" she felt, about her not flinching when the sodomized her, and how funny it all was. They dub themselves "Rape Crew".
    But it gets worse. It seems that the championship football team is king in this town. The sheriff and school faculty try to help cover things up. They "lose" the 12 minute video of the boys basically confessing and cracking jokes about it. They aren't able to get evidence off of 3 phones that recorded various parts of the evening. Other girls come forward saying they've had similar things happen to them, but nothing is really done to follow up. The BCI (Ohio's state investigation group) sends an investigator to check on it all after getting complaints of corruption and a cover-up. The BCI just so happens to be a friend and former client of the local prosecuter. The local prosecuter happens to be the mother of a football player who is a teammate of the rapists. Rumors are there of an even more personal involvement between the two. The investigator finds that everything is on the up and up. The investigation languishes. Over four months go by.
    Then Anon gets the story.
    They post this video warning the rapists and all others involved in the cover up.

They post some of these snippets at various places online:

Mr Parks is the webmaster for the HS and owner of a fan website for the football team:

The 12 minute video full of the rapists making jokes.

News story:
    Steubenville High School Students Joke About Rape In Video Leaked By Anonymous

As disgusting and horrific as this is to me, I can't imagine being the parent of a teenage daughter. Let alone the poor parents of the girl involved, or the other girls this happened to. I think if I had a teenage daughter mature enough to understand what happened, I'd make her watch the videos and read this story just to show her how bad some people can sink.
    I don't know if this makes me more angry or more sick to my stomach.

2. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Although I'm glad the story is getting the media attention it needs to bring those involved to justice, And I truly do feel that they need some serious jail time so the men behind bars can use them the same way they used that that poor girl, then joke about it afterwards, I don't agree with some of the methods Anon used. hacking into websites, gaining control of e-mails, The idea of two wrongs to make a right is a slippery slope. And the fact they are taking the law into their own hands is very scary.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have, most likely a Federal Investigation would have taken the same steps. what I'm saying is that must have been a better way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

All I'll say is, that little shit-stain that is the focus of the video needs to be knee-capped then dumped into the tiger section of a zoo.

4. Borla

I very rarely applaud Anon. I think usually their judgment leans to the correct direction as to the causes, but I tend to agree with you as to their methods.

This time the entire story makes me not care what they did to get the info.

• Like Like x 2
  5. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

You know, I have a very hard time believing in vast conspiracies, especially when it's to cover up something horrific. So I'm going to have to evoke the word "alleged" for now.

I watched both videos. Perhaps the Anon version of what happened is closest to the truth. Perhaps not. I don't know.

What I do know is that there are 2 guys charged with rape and being held without bail at the moment. Anon admits that they don't know exactly what happened either.

If Anon's version is true, then I hope that all of these guys get exactly what they deserve - a long prison sentence in a high-security facility and greatly reduced future. But I find it hard to believe that there isn't SOMEONE who would do the right thing when questioned. Perhaps that's the way Steubenville, OH is, but that's a difficult thing for me to believe.

6. Borla

Some better written, more detailed stories have popped up in the last few hours.

Everything You Need to Know About Steubenville High's Football 'Rape Crew' - National - The Atlantic Wire

Social media casts spotlight on Ohio rape case - CNN.com

I know when I hear of a town that has 18,000 people in it, and the High School football team's stadium sells out it's 19,000 seat stadium every Friday night, it tells me that the town's opinion of HS football is skewed compared to where I think it should be. And I would venture to guess I watch and follow sports as much as anyone here.

I'm guessing we know a lot more in the next week or two, now that so much attention is being shed on the case. Hopefully the complete truth comes out.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's amazing how it took so long to get media attention. The first I heard about it was within the context of the horrific rape incident in India that's now sparked quite a bit of outrage. The comment piece points to the irony of Western criticism considering how rape culture exists in the West as well, and that there are even brutal incidents like this one in Ohio that fly under the media radar.

Delhi gang-rape: look westward in disgust | Emer O'Toole | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

8. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of paraphrasing and rearranging your statements for emphasis. If I'm understanding your right, your post can be rephrased as follows:
    "Hackers breaking into computers is a slippery slope, vigilantism is scary, and two wrongs don't make a right, but you know what would make me feel better about the whole thing? More rape!"

• Like Like x 5
  9. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

LOL, I will admit I wouldn't mind those kids getting a taste of their own medicine. But that is just the desire for revenge and poetic justice. But like I said, two wrongs don't make a right. And revenge is something only makes me feel better, where Justice is about harmony. That's why I would make a terrible judge. I tend to be to passionate about cause.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

I never understood this sentiment. If one condones rape under certain circumstances outside of the legal system, then I suppose one believes it's not all that bad. Or maybe one believes that cruel and unusual punishment is okay. I can think of a few classic examples of others who thought the same.

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I saw this on Reddit last week and was rather sickened by the whole thing. I grew up in a small town where the Friday night lights were a big deal, but this really takes the cake.

Jezebel ran a piece today on it, with a link to a site that has the whole thing: Anonymous Releases More Intel on the Alleged Steubenville 'Rape Crew'

I agree with this quote from the Jezzy piece: "Of course, the real problem is that our culture necessitates internet vigilantism."

• Like Like x 2
  12. Borla

Well, the story went from being buried and known by almost no one to making the front page of several major news sites today, and it'll be featured on Anderson Cooper tonight. Hopefully that leads to the truth coming out and the proper action being taken against both those guilty of the crime, and guilty of covering it up to protect the football program.

• Like Like x 3
  13. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

I saw something about this on either Reddit or cnn - but didn't know the back-story provided above about her being targeted because her ex boyfriend was involved, etc. I'll stay with jazz and wait until it's proven - but damn that is some sick stuff there. We had some bad stuff happen when I was in highschool, but nothing to this level. I'd like to be really angry about this, but it's honestly just making me sad to realize people do this to each other.

14. freeqgirl

freeqgirl New Member

The audacity that these parents and other adults have to cover this up is just mind-blowing! This is what makes me want to just scream. Lets teach these boys that this is okay and no matter what I do, Mommy and Daddy will cover my butt. I am sorry but this is what makes me want to just puke about the way our society is going. There have always been bad seeds in the world but back in the day, if I didn't do what was expected of me there was an actual punishment. If I stole, lied, cheated or worse....I got spanked! And not abusive but punished! Sorry. Maybe that part of me is "old" but these kids need a serious bare-bottom whipping if you ask me!

• Like Like x 2
  15. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Actually, corporal punishment is both abusive and counterproductive.

• Like Like x 2
  16. freeqgirl

freeqgirl New Member

For some I suppose. I personally think it worked for me. A couple bare bottom swats on my ass.....I never stole again.

17. freeqgirl

freeqgirl New Member

And
    I wouldn't call that Corporal punishment.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Rule # 7. Anonymous is still able to deliver.

Payback is a bitch and well deserved in this case. I would hope the FBI does some investigating into the Ohio BCI and fire/arrest some people if they covered it up or looked the other way.

I was thinking about this the other day...is there some surgery that could be done so a guy would have erectile dysfunction if convicted of a rape? It might involve the prostate or something to prevent blood from not flowing out of the penis....

19. The Code of Hammurabi is alive and well.

Because the swats caused you to understand that stealing is wrong, or that getting caught has unpleasant consequences?

20. Baraka_Guru

It makes Baby Jesus cry.