1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Anyone make their own jerky or their own meat/snack sticks?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am making some this year from venison. So far I've always used a box mix that you can get at a sporting goods/outdoors type store.

I actually have some meat sticks in the oven finishing right now. In the future I'd like to venture out into maybe trying some recipes from scratch, as well as using my BGE instead of the oven.

I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has made their own, has any preferences, or has any tips?

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband's grandfather always made his own jerky and smoked salmon. When he got older and stopped hunting, he stopped making venison jerky, too. However, he smoked salmon up until about a month before he passed; his smoked salmon was so famous other people would bring him fish to smoke, and he would get to keep half of what he smoked in trade for the work. My FIL has his recipe and the same Traeger pellet smoker, but he doesn't have the time or the fish access Grandpa had, and I'm not sure anything could compare to Grandpa's smoked salmon.

I don't have any tips. I just like eating smoked meats of all kinds. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We make venison jerky every fall.
    If I ever get around to shooting something this year a bunch of brisket will end up on the dehydrator.
    We do a simple sauce: Soy, Worcestershire, brown sugar, drop of liquid smoke, some chili garlic sauce.
    Marinade overnight.

The real key is the meat prep. All the fat and silvery connective tissue must be removed.
    You partially freeze the cleaned meat and then cut strips. That's jerky. The shit people make with ground meat and "jerky shooters" is total crap, not worthy of the effort, and certainly not jerky.

And we use a simple, cheap $25 Sunbeam dehydrator we bought years ago, nothing fancy needed.

4. Borla

[​IMG]

Snack sticks from tonight. Made partially from my 10pter posted in the Weapons forum and partially from doe my buddy shot. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Does jerking on my meat stick count?

Seriously, I've been wanting to make my own beef jerky. Someone told me a regular oven can be used, just line the bottom with foil to catch the drippings otherwise you'll make a mess.
    Does this sound about right?:
    Cut a brisket into thin strips. Marinate the strips for at least several hours. Drape them over a rack in the top slot in the oven, making sure the strips are short enough so that the ends don't reach the bottom of the oven. Cook them all day, or overnight, on a low setting, 175F IIRC.

6. Borla

I'd recommend using a cookie sheet, and place the strips on a rack above that. Less spills that way.

But essentially, you are pretty close to what I would do. I would adjust a few things though. You might have better success using eye of round, bottom round, or flank steak. I would also marinate it (prior to slicing) for 24-48 hours. Then set it in the oven at 200* for however long it takes. Gas ovens typically take longer than electric ones, and time depends also on how thin you slice it. At the least, you are probably looking at around 4 hours. I personally wouldn't leave them overnight without checking on them, unless you like your jerky extremely dry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I like my jerky with some moisture, but would still want it to last for a while.

The better cut of meat I understand, but what is the benefit of marinating it whole? I would think that marinating the strips would give it a better flavor. But I can see where it it might be like marinating chicken breasts or fish, too much for too long makes it tough and/or starts 'cooking' it.

Edit--Do you inject the "whole' piece of meat with marinade, or just let it soak as normal?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  8. Borla

I think marinating it in strips is too much, like you said. Just my $.02.

I personally just let it soak in a ziploc.

9. HA. Meat Sticks.
    /12 year ZombieSquirrel