1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Are lurkers likely to vote in polls?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Aug 5, 2011.

?

Do you vote in polls?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I've had a hunch for a while that this is the case, but I'd like to hear from you guys... those of you who would rather sit back and watch the conversation roll out in front of you, when you see a thread on a topic that interests you, are you likely to vote? Even if you feel you have nothing to add to the conversation, do you click the button to share your opinion?

Those of you who are frequent posters, do you also vote in polls? Do you ever respond to a thread with a poll without voting in the poll? What is your motivation for voting? Is it just so you can see everyone's responses, or is there another motivation?

Does anyone HATE polls? If there's a poll in a thread in a topic that would otherwise interest you, do you ignore the thread just because of the poll?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I vote if the poll interests me, even if I have no comment to make beyond voting.

It drives me nuts when people post in a thread with their vote and don't also vote in the poll. It throws off my whole sense of how poll threads are supposed to work. :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

That's me too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I lurk in a lot of threads, and I usually vote in the polls.
    Like this poll. ;)

5. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I usually vote, but don't always comment unless someone hasn't mentioned a point I'd like to make.

6. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Even thought I'm pretty much a dedicated lurker, I still vote in the polls.

7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I like clicking things.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

Polls are easy. Posts on the other hand run the risk of anxiety and apathy setting in after typing up a couple paragraphs and just hitting delete.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Basically:

That and I vote in everything because I like the idea of helping the sample size.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I do cast my vote, mainly motivated by the wish to see how others vote.

Voting without commenting: Yes. There are times when expression of unamplified choice IS my response. Similarly to 'like' which is less wasteful of forum space than '^^^ k'yeah' or 'me/hi fives x'. Though I suppose there would be times when I may specifically want to do that.

Commenting without voting. :oops: I will pull my sox up.

11. Liquor Dealer

Liquor Dealer Vertical

I found out on Facebook that clickin' on "Like" gets you a lot of damn email from people you never heard of - I don't click.

12. Devoid

Devoid New Member

I tend to vote on the interesting stuff, but typically don't comment. Wait, I fucked that up. ;)

13. Depends on the subject and how the poll is constructed. Throw out a bunch of choices that don't fit my opinions or mood, no clicky. Get too detailed with the choices, no need to comment. Catch me at a time when I need to build my post count...

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I would think so. I always vote, but don't always add my opinion. Usually I do, though, because I can't resist.

15. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Yes, I vote. I'm an American.

16. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Lurking and voting are how I start out in Forums. Comments come later, when I know the lay of the land. Kind of read more, post less philosophy

17. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I semi-use the "Like" feature to "vote" on a statement I agree with.

I suspect many TFPers do the same.

And yeah, I share Borla's and Jazz's sentiments on poll voting.

18. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I vote, and contribute if I have anything sensible to say. Being in a different time-zone than most of you most threads have derailed into male anal sex skits before I have a chance to reply. That could affect my response rate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Sometimes.
    Most of the time, my opinion doesn't fit the poll. A, B, C, or D and my answer is π.

I'll explain it if I care, usually I don't.

20. I'll vote in polls if they apply to me. I add my .02 if a similar sentiment hasn't already been added.