1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Are you an organ donor?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Are you an organ donor?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Are you an organ donor? I used to not be one when I was a teen/young adult, mostly for selfish reasons. I wanted to be buried whole, all my stuff, you know childish things.

When I moved to NYC I befriended a man my age who had a heart transplant. He was one of the nicest men I had ever met and we talked about some real interesting things aside from his heart transplant. He wrote a book, talks about this on TV and radio all the time. You can read about him here:
    The Prescott Courier - Google News Archive Search

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9tB8BCWe4

Another friend of mine just was part of a 5 way kidney transplant. His life partner was going to donate his kidney to him, but because his partner was a universal donor, it was better that he gave it to someone who was harder to get one for.

I'm an organ donor. Are you? Why or why not?

2. Cwtch38

Cwtch38 Bat Shit Crazy

I am one, it's on my driving licence and on the database. I won't need them if I am dead and someone else can have the benefits. I think you should have to opt out of organ donating not in.

3. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I am one too. As soon as they asked me at the DMV some odd years ago, I never even thought about it.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I am one, simply because if im dead and someone else can benefit from it then why not. Who knows they could have a baby and b/c of me they can have a wonderful life with their family. No brainer to me.

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Yes I am. Take any parts of me that might be useful so I waste as little space as possible. I also donate blood regularly (O- so it's important that I do it) and am on the Bone Marrow Registry. I would be willing to donate a kidney, but I'm pretty sure Type II diabetes precludes that.

6. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Not like I'll need them after death. So I'm in California's database.

7. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Have been since I was a teen. My family is aware of my choice and wouldn't counter my choice. I have a friend who as a young teen needed a heart transplant. It took her way too long to be granted that heart. It bothers me that there isn't automatic donation in the US. Make people sign up for non-donor status, rather than the other way around.

8. Avestruz

Avestruz Vertical

I'm not right now, despite there being no good reason (other than laziness) that I can't be.

But now I'm moving to another country (UK born/raised/ravaged by madcow, going to Canada) and I understand there are significant barriers to my even donating blood there, so I'll hazard a guess that my organs are useless to them too.

I'm trying to squeeze in a cheeky UK blood donation session before I go so that I don't feel so useless and crap.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Take and [salvage], this is my body... [donated] for you.

/Christian upbringing'd

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Yes for the same reason as the rest.

11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I am. Have been since I turned 16 and got my DL. I'm on the bone marrow registry and have been giving blood since I was 21 or so. I'm A+, they call me all the time. I figure they can take what they need and burn the rest. A healthy person can help up to 16 people. When they're dead.

12. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I am not, but only because I would prefer to have my body donated to science (probably medical school cadaver) and that's difficult to do if you aren't whole. Although, I periodically reevaluate this decision (namely, every time my license renewal comes up).

13. As long as they wait until I'm dead, they can use whatever they can salvage. The liver won't be much use, though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I said no when I turned 16, and I don't really remember why. I had to get a duplicate when I was 17ish after losing my wallet, though, and said yes that time. I've been a donor ever since. I rather like the idea that I'll be able to help people out even after I'm dead.

15. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

When I die, think only this of me,
    There is some corner of a foreign body,
    That is forever Daniel...

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I am an organ donor. I've made sure to make sure my parents and husband know my wishes. I want as much of my body to be used as possible.

I heard this part of this series on the radio a couple of weeks ago and thought it was interesting. Turns out tissue donation generates millions of dollars: Human Tissue Donation : NPR

17. Might as well, when I was in my 20s I tried to be an organ donor on most weekends so I might as well now.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Called you out in post #9.

/best wingman ever

• Like Like x 1
  19. I see that. Now.

Unfortunately that organ is still good as new.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hey, if said organ stays "good as new" for more than 4 hours, consult a doctor.

Yeah, so... short of religious reasons or just being a total asshole, there aren't too many reasons not to be an organ donor.

Pop-Up Video: My old job in the military was often referred to as the "organ donor military occupational specialty."

• Like Like x 3