1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Army nurse dies while on Skype with his wife. Army not releasing how he died.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, May 5, 2012.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Link[/URL]
    Bad enough that the dude died, obviously. But while on Skype with his wife? It's also weird that they are not releasing details.
    I guess when I first read this I was trying to figure out how someone who was probably in a relatively "safe" base area could be killed. But the more I think about it the more I wonder if it was suicide or something. You'd think if it was some random attack, or someone murdered him, or if he just died from a heart attack, that they would release that fairly quickly. Weird and sad.

2. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Presumably the guy isnt chatting on Skype while in combat, butiIf someone is quoted as saying "he paid the ultimate sacrifice" that seems to state he was killed in the line of duty.

At the end of the day, Afghanistan is basically in a state of civil war... and any western person is basically clearly marked as being on one side of that war. Perhaps there are not any safe places to be if you don't look local.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Meh.

Plenty of stories of guys getting killed by the most random shit. Example: No rocket attacks for months at said base and suddenly some 20 y.o.s w/ beardlets set up a few improv launchers and fire a barrage blindly before bugging out (usual MO). Normally the rounds don't hit shit, miles off target. But one round lands literally right on top of this poor tech weenie soldier while he sleeps. The round separates his body at the navel. His buddies try to get in to his trailer but they can't because the door locks are key operated on both sides. He bleeds out in what had to be an excruciating death.

Keep tourniquets on your bedposts.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Christ Almighty, Department of the Army file photos are a horrible way to be remembered.

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

A friend of mine who served in Afghanistan a few years ago said something to this effect when we were talking about the region last week.

7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Very curious. The follow-up article does seem to indicate that his wife felt it necessary to reveal enough to quell the idea that her husband had committed suicide.

I have a difficult time believing that this would have been the result of an attack on the base.

8. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

How traumatic for the poor wife. Very sad whatever the cause.

9. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

It's hard to say, based on the details released, but this could also be a case of accidental/negligent discharge of a weapon on base, since he was in quarters and all that was seen was a bullet hole.Either way, while certainly distressing to the family, it's understandable that they would want to conduct an investigation before releasing information if there was any doubt whatsoever what happened.

10. Borla

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

They must have a much better Skype connection then I because I'm almost certain if I Skyped with my daughter I wouldn't be able to tell if the spot on the wall behind her was bullet hole or some other less ominous mark. And I've seen a few bullet holes in the past 20-30 years.

Whatever happen to him my best wishes for his family during this difficult time. It's a terrible thing to watch a loved one die but at least she was, in a way, with him when he passed. I think I'd prefer that to receiving a cold call or knock on the door from someone I didn't know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Apparently my Afghan internet is better than Tully Mars' internet.

13. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

Augh. That is so sad. Skype is wonderful and keeps so many loved ones connected. But what and awful thing for his wife to witness. My heart goes out to that family.

14. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Very, very sad :(

RIP

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, from what I hear...you're not safe, even if you're local. (or even more so...)
    Bombs, bandits and batshit insanity is not a healthy place to live.

It's basically a clusterfuck over there.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

KBR
    That shit'll kill you.​

...​

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  17. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I have already been on the phone with my son and could hear choppers in the background, very loud.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

• Like Like x 1
  19. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

People don't usually write in public where exactly somebody is and when they leave/go somewhere.

Especially when it's a POOF!...

Maybe you're one of those reasons POOF! shouldn't talk too much with their family. :)

20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

C'mon, Remixer. You have to censor the sensitive content. OR ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?