1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Vegan

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Baraka_Guru, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

In TFP 4.x, there were a series of threads where people offered themselves up as a kind of "resident expert" on a topic, lifestyle, or philosophy.

I'm not sure if this will spark their being recreated, but I would like to start one based on veganism. I find that many nonvegans are naturally curious about veganism and will ask questions, both general and personal. As a vegan, I am always interested in sharing what I believe and what I know, without, of course, being preachy or judgemental (a common misunderstanding that occurs between vegans and nonvegans).

I started my vegan journey back in October 2011. I eased myself into it by gradually replacing my nonvegan things with vegan things. The process continues. I still have leather goods such as shoes and a belt, for example. Once they wear out, I will continue to replace them with vegan alternatives.

Feel free to ask general questions about veganism. Feel free to ask specific questions about my choice, rationale, or methods. Both may delve deeply into the whys and wherefores.

I will keep this open to start. For now, I will simply give you a concise definition of veganism:

Ask away. What would you like to know?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

What are your thoughts on this potentially ridiculous graphic:

[​IMG]

I've spent the last year or so thinking about my diet and what I can do to change it to both improve my health (hell, maybe my partner's) and help Save The Planet. I realize that recycling the 12,000 cans of diet soda I drink a year isn't enough. Given my diet of breakfast cereal, I notice that I do eat a lot less meat than my peers. I guess my question is: What are some unconventional ways you've discovered to make a dent in your footprint that I may be overlooking? It can be related to diet or lifestyle. I'm never going to give up meat or leather, but I want to help better myself and the planet.

3. Baraka_Guru

This is one of the better questions, so it's great to lead off with it. (Very auspicious, Mister 9er.)

One thing to keep in mind about veganism, is that it's not a zero-sum game. There is no such thing as a "pure vegan." The point is not to reach some kind of sainthood where no living creature is harmed by a vegan's existence on the planet. That is an extreme view, an impossible expectation. The point, then, is to do what you can to minimize your impact on the industries that use (or require) the disruption, displacement, or even destruction of animal life.

So: yes, the production of vegetables kills many insects. Yes, vegans will use buildings, plastics, petroleum products that may have harmed animals. There is only so much one can do, especially in a modern society where everything is so integrated, and the sources for things so displaced.

Bottom line: It's pretty much impossible to completely avoid harming animals, even indirectly. The point of the vegan lifestyle is to do what is reasonable to minimize the impact. What is the alternative to the failure of being a "pure vegan"? Eat animal products? Wear leather? The answer is: not necessarily. The vegan answer is: no.

The unavoidable fact is that reducing your meat intake is going to make the biggest impact in dietary terms. If you won't give up meat, consider replacing some servings of meat with vegetarian alternatives. Also consider eating more sustainable forms of meat. This usually means eating meat sources that don't require as many resources to produce or eating highly replaceable food sources. So this may mean eating less beef and pork and eating more sardines and anchovies. Consider non-American diets that look at meat as a condiment and not a focus. Some of these diets only see chicken or beef once a week, while fish and seafood make up the rest. (And not to mention a better balance between meat and dairy and legumes and nuts and seeds....)

You may also want to look into specific producers with sustainable practices and avoid commercial "megafarms," which tend to be brutal to the environment.

My biggest recommendation: Eat more plants, eat less meat, eggs, and dairy. You may not give animal products up, but you may want to start replacing some servings with more plant foods you aren't already eating.

Another guideline is to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods. Try to eat food "as grown," even if it requires preparation and cooking. Generally, the more you remove from the processing of food, the less impact it will have on the environment.

In most cases, the more plant-based calories you stuff into you, the better your health will be in the long run. A balanced and varied diet is crucial.

EDIT: I should also mention that even the production of eggs and dairy products have a sizable impact on the environment, which would be a good reason to reduce the use of these as well.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Has your sleep improved? Are you in a more positive mood? Did you notice any significant improvements in your body? Do you eat fish?

5. Baraka_Guru

It has, but there are many other factors influencing this. I have a number of bad habits that may influence my sleep patterns negatively. I've recently taken some measures to fix that. I don't know whether dietary factors are a part of that or not.

Again, the same here. I have been relatively sedentary and I've also just been through a Canadian winter. My mood is probably negatively affected by these things. However, I do note a better balance between good moods and poor. I may need to get back to this question once I start exercising in the sun again.

I'm more "regular," if that's what you mean.... ;) Basically: a better, more sustained energy. I don't "crash" in the afternoons. I don't feel more vigorous per se, but that may change once I get over my bad habits. One thing I have noticed is that I lost 20 lbs. over the course of the first three months. I tend to eat less junk when I read labels and avoid animal products. Also: No cravings. I tend to be more satiated after eating wholesome vegan fare. I also tend not to overeat as well. Plant foods are surprisingly filling yet light. It's difficult to explain.

This question and the question on mood may better be answered after a bit more time. It's only been a few months after all.

No. Fish are animals. This is a pretty common question for vegetarians too. Some so-called vegetarians will eat seafood. They're not vegetarians; they're actually pescatarian, which means they won't eat animal flesh except for fish.

The thing to realize is that fish have nervous systems, despite their small brains. They have sense organs, etc. It is the aim of ethical vegans to avoid causing harm to animals who may suffer as a result of using them for food or other products.

6. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I like your idea for a new series of threads. I think I'll create one soon, as well. However, I've gotta stay true to my self-proclaimed title.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baraka_Guru

^E. coli'd! Salmonella'd! Spongiform encephalopathy'd!

8. Remixer

Butcher'd.

9. Baraka_Guru

verb [ trans. ] (often be butchered)
    slaughter or cut up (an animal) for food
    • kill (someone) brutally
    figurative ruin (something) deliberately or through incompetence

Coincidence between all these usages? I think not. ;)

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

1. If they perfect "lab grown meat" what will this mean to vegans?

2. What is the big deal with eggs? They are a by product of a naturally performing chicken. Don't the eggs otherwise go to waste? (Here I am assuming you were to raise some chickens like pets in your backyard rather than industry farmed quasi chickens).

11. Avestruz

Avestruz Vertical

I'm really glad to read this. I spent half a decade as a vegetarian in my late teens and early twenties before finding myself drawn back to the dark side, but something I remember well from that time are the efforts of certain people around you to "trip you up" or make you confess to some glaring hypocrisy so as to discredit you and your views. (I've heard some of the more ranty/hardline vegans say that the omnivores do this to "justify" or "make excuses for" their unethical choices but I personally would stop a way short of that kind of suggestion.)

I think sometimes it can be difficult to state a moral/ethical position without rubbing others up the wrong way or making them feel judged. If you make a choice for ethical reasons, and others didn't make that choice, the implication is that you find their practices unethical and that's a tough thing to sidestep. I really was/am in no way judgemental of those who eat meat but the mere act of saying out loud that I was vegetarian sometimes seem to evoke what I can only describe as a really defensive response from people (I can see how the aforementioned hardliners arrive at their "guilty omnivores" view, even if I don't necessarily agree). I have no criticism for those who would eat meat (I eat it now, after all) but at the same time I reserve any praise for those who don't eat meat, or who make whatever steps they feel they can to limit their consumption of it. Often I would never get the chance to explain that before I'd been bombarded with the twenty questions designed to expose me as some sort of fraud who tried to get on a high horse.

I probably sound really bitter about my time as a vegetarian, but I'm not really. It was just frustrating.

Anyway, getting to a point here: I will be gradually returning to a vegetarian diet, hopefully to something approaching a vegan diet, in the coming months. Your thread gives me encouragement and bolsters my conviction that while it might not be possible to do everything, it never hurts to do something if you feel strongly enough about it.

I realise none of this was a question!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Remixer

Your beloved mother nature got ruin'd. Deliberately.

• Like Like x 1
  13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

It's okay to eat fish, because they don't have any feelings.

Is this some kind of peer pressure thing? Should I start expecting tag team sermons?

14. Baraka_Guru

http://bit.ly/rlCje4

My response is broad but does cover your scenario (point 1).

1) The chicken doesn't "give" her eggs to humans for consumption. She lays them to produce offspring.

2) The majority of egg producers aren't idyllic farms where hens scratch around, eating worms and seed, surrounded by lush pastures below a blue cloud-filled sky. Even the ostensibly humane farms may have questionable practices with regard to treatment and habitat.

3) At the end of a hen's productive cycle, they're deemed "unprofitable" and are likely sent for slaughter well before the end of the natural life span. In the case of backyard chickens, they could be kept like pets, but they may live quite a while and produce nothing (or too little) in return. The cost of food, medicine, and vet bills will outweigh the benefits of "farm fresh eggs." That is, unless you really love chickens and don't mind the expense.

4) Most male chicks of egg breeds have a terrible fate since they aren't used for meat (which wouldn't even be much better from their perspective). So nearly half of the chicks bred for egg production are destroyed because they're male and aren't a meat breed.

Are you just quoting Nirvana?

15. martian

If you actually have to ask me that you're not the man I thought you were.

16. Baraka_Guru

The kind who knows your understanding of marine biology?

17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

To paraphrase:

He's not the man he used to be.

/grunge

18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Many of the vegans that I know personally are quite evangelistic.

Do vegans feel a moral duty to discourage omnivores from eating animals and/or using animal products?

Or are vegans content to pursue their own path, while allowing non-vegans the same choice?

Could veganism, though without a diety, become a religious kind of pursuit?

Lindy

19. Baraka_Guru

This is often a touchy issue....

For starters, I think it's an error to lump all vegans into one group. While there is what you could call a "vegan movement," it's hardly uniform/official, and not all vegans associate with it as a movement as such.

However, many vegans view their lifestyle as life-changing and affecting many facets of their lives. Specifically, ethical vegans tend to be interested in sharing what they know about the food production industry, as many of them were quite ignorant about it before they did the research. From an animal rights perspective, there are many things wrong with how food is produced. Add to that the moral decision to stop consuming animals to prevent their suffering and you have someone who thinks a lot about these things. Many vegans simply wish to help people realize what goes on, as it is far removed from society. For most people in North America, food shows up in convenient little packages. Vegans, as advocates of animal rights, would like more awareness about what goes on before food gets to that point.

One way to look at it: many vegans are also animal rights activists. They may not feel obligated to discourage others from using animal products; but they will likely have an invested interest in educating people on what they may not know about animals and their treatment. Many are interested in giving animals a voice---something not typically afforded them.

Knowing we cannot lump all vegans into one camp, it's important to also realize that some vegans view their lifestyle choice as a personal matter. I tend to fall into this category. I will inform people of my choice and of the impact of food production on animals and the environment, but I don't see myself as a missionary or crusader.

I created this thread for my own personal growth as well as helping others understand what veganism is about. I'm not going to try to convert anyone in particular, nor will I judge people on their choices. The furthest I will go is simply informing people of the impact of their choices.

The most respectful vegans are the same way. They are more about speaking their truth than they are about criticizing or censuring. As with any group of people, however, you're going to get your bad apples. Sometimes too many.

Based partly on what I've said above, no. Veganism for many is an ethical choice, not a system of belief or moral code. Inversely, vegetarianism, veganism, or other dietary choices are often a part of a wider religious codes---Buddhism, Hinduism, Seventh-day Adventist, Judaism, and Islam are notable examples of this.

That said, atheists and agnostics can be vegans just as much as anyone else. It is no more a religious pursuit than, say, having a heightened sense of women's rights or gay rights. This is not to say that all these rights are equal or even comparable, but they operate on the same principles, being that ardent upholders of such rights may appear to be "religious" about it. They're not. They're merely engaged and serious about it.

I don't like the comparison to religion, as religion is a system of belief in metaphysical matters, whereas veganism is an ethical choice based on facts. It makes for an awkward comparison.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. martian

I can attest from personal experience that Baraka_Guru has not yet begun proselytizing. Then again, perhaps he's just looking for a time when I can't escape. Note to self: no more long car rides with Baraka_Guru.

Here's a moment of seriousness: given that the issues present in the production of animal-derived products for human consumption also exist in re: pet food, do you feel that you should be feeding your pets food that's produced in a humane fashion? Is this something that you're already doing, and can you elaborate on the methodology and/or rationale behind it?