1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Asked to be photographer in tomorrow's wedding last minute. Request cam setting info.

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Metallica_Band, Feb 9, 2013.

1. So I was asked last minute to be the photographer at my dad's wedding. Last minute thing. Leaving tomorrow morning (Feb. 9).

I take great pictures. My skill level from 1-10 (beginner-professional) would be around 4-5. I still have a lot to learn on the technical and mathematical level. I have no DSLR experience.

I have the following recording devices (links provided at bottom of post):
    Fujifilm Finepix HS10
    Nikon Coolpix S9100
    Sony HDR-PJ260
    Zoom H2n
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I'll be doing video and recording audio with a dedicated audio recorder. I have enough memory cards for each device.

My questions are mostly directed to my photography settings. I gave you links to my cameras so you can look at what the cameras can do.

I do not know if I will be shooting inside or out. It is supposed to be mostly sunny all day. I will be using my only tripod for the camcorder so no tripod for the cameras. The mini-tripod will be used for the audio recorder. I have a circular polarizer and uv filter for my Fuji camera.

Any tips for camera usage during the wedding and after for photo ops? Any tips or seeing suggestions for any of the other recording devices?

Thanks

OMG I can't post links after spending half an hour copying and pasting in a stupid phone? I hate selecting, copying, and pasting on a phone BTW. Someone add the links please or just Google the devices. I need sleep.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Even if you are shooting outside, use a flash (fill flash). I have photographed one wedding for a niece. Not having professional flash equipment was the biggest issue. Group shots are difficult due to flash fall off.

3. *Nikki*

*Nikki* Slightly Tilted

I am a pro photographer. Let me know if I can help!

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm going to be really blunt about this. Your dad is an asshole for throwing this at you last minute and you have nowhere near the experience to shoot a wedding if you're posting a list of cameras you have and asking what settings to use. I hate to come across as a gear snob, but if you don't have an SLR, you're putting yourself as the mercy of your camera's autofocus and will end up missing a lot of shots where it's important to capture the moment. You need to at least go into it with a checklist of shots to get, something like this is a good place to start, go over it with the bride and groom if you have even a few minutes to spare. Beyond that, just do what you know how to do and take pictures of people having fun.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I take photos of weddings all the time.

Set it to Auto... and just take photos. Seriously. That's 1/2 the battle there.

Now portraits and other photographer shots, that's going to take a little more skill. But again, fill flash, set things to auto, and you'll take fine images.

I'm not trying to take away of the skill of a photographer, but you'll get the images of the event which is most of the requirement.

I don't have posed shots of my wedding because we didn't hire a professional photographer. Saved a ton of cash but sometimes I wish we had portraits. Sometimes the posed groups looked funny because not everyone was looking at the same camera, eh.

If you can ask the bride what photos would be important that's a plus, examples, first dance, bouquet toss, who caught the bouquet, cake cutting, etc. It will help you at least know where you'll be needed and when you can catch a break and eat, drink, or go to the bathroom.

Batteries. Extra batteries. Keep some of them charging if you can so that you can replace them if needed.

If you have those extra cameras, give them to people you see taking photos and ask them to give the camera back to you after 20 minutes or after the event if you trust them enough. It will give you opposing shots since you can't be in 2 places at once. skogafoss and I have different angles of the same shots because of this.

good luck!

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Literally every camera that you hand out to a wedding reception will be filled with photos of the attendees' genitalia.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Good luck, did many weddings for family and have always had a sidekick. So if you have the time grab one of your buddies or family members and get them to hit the side you can't . If its a small wedding take at least 500 photos and using video just focus on important moments in between shots of Jamison whiskey. You will be fine!:)