1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN Computer Nerds: Need help formulating interview questions for Programmer Position

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ZombieSquirrel, Mar 27, 2015.

1. At my internship, I am the project manager for a new project. (We're basically scanning pics on instagram for a client.) There is a way to set up an application program interface with Instagram.

I barely know what that is, so how can I interview possible programmers to see if they can handle it?

Basically I just want to be able to pull images from certain hashtags. I wouldn't mind being able to view the photos from specific locations to figure out where the product is used and instagrammed.

What I need from you nerds, is what sort of questions should I be asking our potential student programmers???

Here is info on Instagram's API: Instagram Developer Documentation

• Like Like x 1
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Odd technology job interview questions revealed - BBC News

I'm not an HR person, but a lot of it comes down to knowing if they can figure out how to do something, their past experiences (Give an example of when you used an API to aggregate data? What developer IDE do you like the best?, have they ever used the tag or location endpoints with Instragram before?), what they are like as a person (Do you ever write programs for yourself?), and if they would get along with others at your place of work. If you have two ways of presenting results, ask to see which way they prefer and why. (Location vs Summary)

In a job interview if you are asked which you prefer, Star Trek, or Star Wars, what is the correct answer? - WebAnswers.com

And ask a few geeky questions to mix it up and start things off right.

I do wonder how educational institutions have adapted to teaching more web based programming. Or if they ares till starting off with the basic Java or C++. Back when I was in college, they kind of missed the boat on teaching HTML, PHP, and web based apps since they were seen as not "real" programming. Handling "big" datasets was another thing that should have been addressed more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I'm so glad ASU piped in with an answer. I was going to say "I don't know, but I'll help you keep this thread active so someone who knows may answer".

• Like Like x 1
  4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The challenge here in my mind is that you're a non-technical person interviewing for a technical position. This is different from when I interview someone, for example, because my background is technical and my bullshitometer is going to trip on things that might sail right past you.

So the question is less what questions would I ask and more what questions would I suggest someone who knows nothing about programming ask, and what answers should they expect from a good candidate.

I'm going to have to think about it. I will come back to this.

I will say now that your interview should be more about process and methods than it is about raw knowledge. So you might ask what IDE a person likes best, but make sure you also ask them why. It doesn't matter if they say vim or notepad++ or crazy Bob's magick code writer or that they use very fine magnets to manipulate the bits by hand. What matters is why they do it that way. It may be down to featuresets or because they have a preferred method (vim users, for example, frequently prefer vim because it allows them to write and modify their code without ever taking their hands off the keyboard, which is more efficient).

If they can't give you a good answer for this that would be a warning sign. Similarly you might ask about what languages they know, what their go-to language is if they're given freedom to use whatever they want. Look for ways to challenge their problem solving abilities and try to figure out how they tick. A good developer is methodical and consistent. A bad developer jumps around and doesn't follow a rational process.

I will add more later today. Or tomorrow. Let me let it percolate.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I'm going on the "student programmer" part in the OP meaning that they need to have some knowledge of programming, but also willing to learn new things. And they aren't going to be building healthcare.gov or programming nuclear reactors. ;)

Maybe ask them about the last coding thing they learned and how would they explain it to someone else? Ask them on a scale of 1 to 10, how good are their comments when they write code?

Are they going to be working in a group or by themselves coding this application? Does some of the program exist already and they just need to implement new features, or is it all brand new code that they have to write?

Ask them if they have experience with working on code they have never seen before and adding features or tracking down bugs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Do you have access to a programmer that you could ask to sit in the interviews with you? As Martian said, the interviewees have less chance of bullshitting their way into a job if you have a techo to flag things that don't sound right.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

However, often some programmers are biased on how to do things, including being closed minded in alternatives. (there's a million ways to bake a cake)
    This can be applied to the assisting interviewer...but you can also note if the candidate thinks something should be done "one way" or can't think outside the box.
    Qualification does not equal ability.

I'd ask for references. (if not samples or examples)
    And not just management references, often they just manage not code...but fellow associates that can describe their ability.

Mistakes are made in hiring IT all the time, as people think a "word", class/degree or certification proves the voodoo they do.
    I'd say talking about their situations and how they handled it, is much better.
    Then you can hear their "soft-skills"
    Communications, coordination, problem-solving, follow-thru, play well with others, documentation, client interaction, managing expectations, etc.

A person knowing error #3456 exactly is not knowing how to design (especially from A to Z)
    I'd say, ask the person to "sketch" how they would approach your project.
    How would they get the specs??
    What would a plan be like?

Nothing firm, just to see how they think...how they move forward with something
    Or even better...how they handle change. (and it will change...)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I was thinking you could go with the Swordfish interview process but then I found out what really happened.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rogue49

IMHO, it's Star Trek (but I love both) ...Star Wars is a saga, a soap-opera...not something you want at work, even if heroic. The whole environ was "ad-hoc" and about passionate emotions. A war. Betrayal.
    Star Trek was more about intellect, protocols, managing within chaos, dealing with conflict within a rules based system...this is more office/work oriented.
    This is the type of person you want working in your team.

• Like Like x 2
  10. The biggest problem with all of this is that we're hiring a student programmer. I am not technical. My team as of now is not technical and my bosses are not technical. I worry about bringing in a student and this not be a valuable learning experience for him/her.

I need someone who is somewhat knowledgeable, and if they don't know the something.....they can figure it out. They need to be able to work autonomously.
    --- merged: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:29 AM ---
    But thank you for alllll the advice. My questions up to this point were along the lines of, "Describe a time where you were given a project without out much technical support and needed to work autonomously?" annnnnd, "describe a time where everything went according to plan, but you did not achieve a desired outcome. What did you learn and how would you apply that today?" Basic questions I've heard on almost every search I have been on.

I'm a search advocate at my university. I am often asked to serve on a variety of search committees and I rarely know what to look for in a candidate. My job is to make sure that the search committee members identify any subconscious bias to ensure that every candidate was treated fairly. I've never had to chair a search where I didn't know anything about what we needed the person to know...just what they needed to do. I need the end product and need to know they can get it to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  11. rogue49

Even with a student programmer, with no big experience or references.
    I'd still ask them...

- How would you "sketch" out our solution? (this will give you an indicator if they can work it from A to Z...and if they are too formal...or can they wing it, from stratch)
    - How would they get the specs? (this tells you how they would gather the business rules, workflow and interact with persons of interest)
    - How would you plan and execute it? (this tells you if they are somewhat organized, followup and followthru and consider logistics outside of their control)

No matter their knowledge base, this will show you if they can design, gather, communicate and execute.
    Because many STEM oriented people don't know how to be pragmatic...they get caught in the ideals and the abstracts.
    You need someone who gives results (and also doesn't piss off/confuse staff )
    It is a project after all...

I've had this problem in the past with professors, PhD's and anal-retentive IT folks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GOOD NEWS! I don't have to find them. My PI has enlisted an IS instructor to find this person. I still have to tell him what we want......but I don't now because our Client doesn't even know what they want.

I'm just gonna wing it.

13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Do the spec as broad brush as this will give the programmer some flexibility. What I mean is talk about the outcomes they want to achieve - i.e. *why* they want to do this thing.

e.g. "We want to be able to aggregate media from instagram based on an input (or selected??) hashtag. We want to embed this on a page of our website."

If you can articulate that level of detail for a few paragraphs, it is a decent starting point.

Given the lack of detail, you will need to be employing someone who can translate a high level need into a solution and can think on their feet when things don't function quite as expected (what I mean by this is you deliver X and after some use you realise it just doesn't work for the need and you need to tweak the interface/output...).