1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Attractive but gray

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Zebragirl, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Would you find a woman or man that is getting lots of gray or white hair at an early age attractive if they chose not to dye their hair? It seems that men are less likely to dye their hair than women.

I am in my 30s and have been getting a lot of white hair and have chosen not to dye it. I don't have "roots" so it blends well but is becoming more obvious as I am going to eventually get some areas that are whiter than others. I feel a bit self conscious about it since I never meet women who have natural gray or white that are under the age of 40 or 50 and have chosen not to dye their hair.

I think men van still be pretty hot even with gray hair as long, it has more to do with overall looks, and body care than the color of their hair. So I wonder if men feel the same about a woman or if it would be a big turnoff.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I don't think it's the color, but how they handle it overall.
    Like Helen Mirren is all gray and older, but she's still a very attractive woman.

It's genetics, fitness and attitude.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I have had a gray hair here and there since I was in my 20s. Now that I'm in my mid-30s I have quite a few. Not enough to really say "he's going gray" from a distance, but enough that if you look close up there are a bunch. I don't care at all, and have no plans to ever dye it.

For women, I guess it is generally less socially acceptable, but I think this is more due to the expectations of other women than from the expectations of men. I've seen a few women who have decided to just let it go gray when in their late 30s or 40s, and I think it is fine as long as they keep it well maintained (have a nice cut that fits them, style it, etc.). ymmv

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I gave up coloring my hair several years ago. I was getting some grays, but they weren't too bad, and I decided that if I was going to be white by thirty like my mom, so what?

At some point, I ended up with a gray stripe on my head that's in my center part. It looks cool. I've had people ask if I did it on purpose. Nope.

5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

It never occurred to me to dye my hair.

6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

My daughter suggested I dye my hair for job hunting since there is so much age discrimination these days.
    My response was that people (including her) worked hard to give me these grey hairs so I was going to wear them with pride.

• Like Like x 2
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

There was a woman at the club I was at when I was a personal trainer that had an amazing head of silver hair. It was long and straight, but it was silver. She had obviously been blonde when younger. Maybe it was dyed that way, but it worked for her. That being said, society accepts women dyeing their hair much more easily than men.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Dyeing your hair gray is also now apparently a thing.

Also, the hottest librarian I've ever seen has a mane of glorious silver.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, the gray-as-a-trend certainly helps me get away with my stripe.

10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have always wanted silver hair.
    I'm in my early 30s and have a lot of gray, no plans to dye it. I do keep a box of hair dye in my cabinet at home in case I ever feel the impulse to dye it. I tell myself that maybe I'll do it when I have a job interview, but maybe not.

I have found people treat me my age rather than assuming I'm just one of the undergrad students since my gray has gotten more noticeable. I'm fine with it. Occasionally someone gives me a hard time and tells me I should dye it, but I just brush those comments off. I have also had people approach me and tell me they love my gray and tell me I should never dye it.

My biggest issue is that my gray hair tends to be much thicker and more coarse than my brown hair. It tends to be more challenging to tame. Hair lotion is my friend.

11. I like counting DaddySquirrl's gray hairs.

"This one BabySquirrel gave you. I believe this one, this one and that one are from your stepdad. The cats gave you these two. The rest are all because of me!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My wife is older than me and has basically zero gray hairs.

I tell her it is because I am so awesome and easy to live with.

• Like Like x 2
  13. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

yeah, between my sister and work, them places giving me gray hairs like crazy. thank goodness this place stopped doing that.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My hair is going more white than grey . I love the white patches in my beard.
    Might be one of those "getting older" things, but some grey or silver hairs in a woman's hair are a serious plus to me now.

15. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

In my mid thirties, I've got my share of grey hairs coming in, and I'm still plenty attrac--........
    Errrmmmm....
    Maybe I'm not the best example.

My mom does enjoy pointing them out to me every time she cuts my hair, though.

16. weezer

weezer Getting Tilted

I agree with @rogue49. It's not the color so much as what you do with it. I think it's somewhat unusual to see gray hair cut into the hair style of a younger woman. So when I do see it on a woman with personality who knows how to carry herself, it generally catches my attention.

17. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

I don't mind gray hair, it's a sign of maturity and experience.

18. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. weezer

weezer Getting Tilted

i'd tap that.

• Like Like x 1