1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Attractive scents

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Meier_Link, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Meier_Link

Meier_Link New Member

I was thinking today, probably some time between watching Axe commercials and seeing google ads for pheromones, that scent is an area of my personal hygiene that could probably use an overhaul. I just read an article, in fact, that claims that when it comes to initial attraction scent is a more important factor than looks. Having read this article on the internet, it can obviously be assumed that highly scientific methodology was employed and that the conclusions can be taken as fact.

I realize that I'm probably not the best judge of this, since I have struggled with being smelling-impaired, having had allergies for most of my life. I can say that the only things I currently do to improve my natural scent are to bath regularly and use some body spray, like Axe or Tag, under my arms as a deodorant since I've had some issues with stick deodorants before. Luckily I'm not a big sweater and I don't have that much hair under my arms to trap the scent, but I could be off base here, with my impaired sense and all.

So my question is this: what scents, on another person, do you find attractive or, conversely, what scents have you used that you feel have effectively attracted others to you?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I love when a woman smells like vanilla.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Every time I think of scent and attraction, I think of having read more than once that vanilla is an aphrodisiac to women and pumpkin is one to men.

Either way, delicious!

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Axe Kilo is super sexy! That's what my husband wears for deodorant. I love it.

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Ylang Ylang has to be my favourite scent of all time. I've long gone for essential oils - they do something totally different to me than alchohol based.

For ordinary-ware, I typically splash a bit of cucumber water on my chest.

I've always likes scents and perfumes, but here is a book which was a great read and also educated me in an entire language of smell, which had the knock on effect of expanding my senses.

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1842430351/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link

6. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

I like Axe (a lot... a lot a lot), but Old Spice is my guilty pleasure. Most of the guys I've dated won't wear it because it was their grandfather's scent and they don't want to smell like an old man.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ever go to a strip club? :D

I love that smell, also. But faintly, not like they bathed in it.

8. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I'm an Old Spice lover. But, honestly, I'm not picky - as long as a guy smells like he actually showers and wears deodorant (or cologne if it's a Big Date - though I'm somewhat sensitive to strong scents, so that's not the best idea with me), I'm pretty happy. Brushing teeth is NOT optional.

I'd worry about the consistency of your hygiene over the specific scent you use.

9. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

Vanilla is high on my list - could be caused by me being attracted to the person wearing it... It's something about the simple, yet complex, pleasing smell.

My wife had a nice perfume but we've been been unable to find a good replacement. It was a clean, fresh smell - sort of relaxing and seducing at the same time. A perfect match for her.
    The one she's using now has some of these properties, but is still missing something.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Dunno about the initial attraction part. We live in the digital age. Initial attraction for many is based on a .JPG and a few blurbs in a dating profile. Every single woman I've done the nasty with I've met online. I don't do the bar scene and I'm not the kind of guy that chats up strangers at the grocery store. I'll spend an hour or two talking to a girls online, though. While things like personal hygiene might seal the deal, the initial attraction is often a Photobucket link and how well they respond to my questions about zombie movies, how they feel about the fact that I fold my socks and whether or not they're down for playing with sidewalk chalk after a few beers. I'm already more than interested by the time I get to sniff them.

Hmm, I suppose this makes me sound like a weirdo.

/so what if it's true?

As far as the scent thing?

Hoppes #9. I've decided that when I find a girl that smells like it for any reason, I'm going to propose right on the spot.

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, it's NOT a strip club memory for me. :p

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i like the scent of a woman, preferably tinted with vanilla...

for myself, i've used royal copenhagen for the past 20 years and still love it...

14. It sounds like you're doing fine to me. If you choose to start wearing a scent, pick one you like, because otherwise you'll smell it on yourself all day (assuming your allergies aren't acting up). Also, don't bathe in it. Your smell shouldn't enter the room before you do.

As for me, the most compliments I've ever received about my scent is wearing Bath and Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel. I only use the body cream, no body splash for me (smells to alcohol-y). My husband LOVES it, and I've received many compliments from men at work (and a couple of random men) while wearing it as well.

15. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Personally, I can't stand vanilla scents, so I never wear them. I find it surprising that so many of you TFP men enjoy vanilla on a woman.

My perfume is apricot fig, if I wear it. I use unscented deodorant and usually unscented soaps and body washes, as well. I do absolutely LOVE the smell of one of my shampoo/conditioner combos.. smells like starburst or skittles, and I get a lot of comments on it.

16. Meier_Link

Meier_Link New Member

Sounds like vanilla is pretty popular amongst TFPer's... Who knew?

So maybe I'll stick with the Axe body wash and spray and maybe some kind of shampoo with vanilla to lather my head and nether regions. Also, maybe vanilla scented fabric softner?

Also, vanilla scented jpgs for online profiles? Get to working on that 9er.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I'm not a fan of most cologne. Curve is one I like, but I can't remember the others (only one or two... I remember mentioning them in an old TFP thread, I'll have to dig it up.) Our roommate has this Old Spice "Swagger" body spray that makes me gag.

There was a guy in high school who had the most amazing smelling soap that drove me wild, but I can't think of what it was. (I'm not so helpful with brands, am I?) Right now, Irish Spring soap and Speed Stick deodorant are what "smells good" to me. Ooh, and sandalwood, but that's more of a hippie thing :)

The only scent *I* wear is jasmine essential oil. Other than that, I depend on Aussie and Caress to make me smell good :)

18. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I have three colognes that I rotate through as they fit my mood when I pick one.

Himalaya by Creed is a nice light one and unfortunately the most expensive I'm out of it now and can't really afford another bottle at the moment. Warning: if you pay less than $100 for a new bottle, or $85 for a tester, you're buying a fake, and not a good one. Want to smell like The Great Gatsby? this is for you. Two of my (platonic) female friends from college loved this and would join me on whatever couch or chair I was sitting on to smell me. Actually, it's kind of creepy now that I think about it.

Le 3me Homme by Caron is a confident, spicy scent that smells "sexy" according to friends. Easy to overdo, go light on this one.

Ungaro III by Ungaro. Dark, woody, and masculilne. I've been tackle-hugged many times, but only once did I suffer a sprained back, also from a friend who wanted to smell me. Use at your own risk, both because of the risk of injury and because this was discontinued several years ago and much of the old stock is likely to be getting rancid. It has been re-released and the orders fulfilled by Amazon (at only $25 a 4.3pz bottle!) seem to be true to the original and as fresh as it ever was.

I also have a few half ounce testers of Realm for Men, which is a pheromone-laced gimmick made for people who don't realize that androstenone breaks down rapidly in alcohol. What can I say? they were cheap and I was curious. Half a spray isn't bad for layering, but I don't think it really adds much.

19. I like the smell of a sweaty guy after a hard workout.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hello Snowy

I also noticed they've 6 bottles of a different size left.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bath-Body-Works-Aromatherapy-Ylang-Ylang/dp/B000T9IBBW

I DO do stockpliling if need be. Bodyshop discontinued my favourite shaving cream, so I bought up what I could find of the old stock. Admittedly, this only defers the need to find a good alternative.