1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Beards & Professionalism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Can a man appear professional with facial hair?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Do you think that men can give off an air of professionalism with a beard? Please provide additional info beyond the poll response.
    What beard styles do you like? P0st links or comment on the beards that others have posted.
    Any tips for maintaining a beard? Do I need to buy him special shampoo or conditioner?

Hubby has grown out his beard again for the winter, and he told me he'd trim it however I want. Seeing as how I know nothing about beards in the workplace, I figured I would ask you folks what you think of beards. He's a 30-something man with a huge capacity for beard growth. He started trimming his stubble the other day and had a full beard within 4 days. All he's doing now is trimming up his neck and cheeks a little, but he's honestly starting to look a little like a mountain man. Within days I fear it may look like this, unless some sort of intervention starts to happen.
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of beards that I like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Though these facial hair options are also pretty fun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it seems like all of these styles that I like are for guys who can't grow a nice, thick, well-developed beard. Surely there are some nice, full beard styles out there that would still be appropriate for a white-collar management kind of guy...

If I don't suggest something soon he might do something like this:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Buy him a good conditioner. I buy tea tree from sports clips or great clips. If you don't the skin under it will get real dry I let mine grow but I keep it trimmed if that makes any since. Some people can pull it off and others can't. It just depends in how they want to look. Mine used to be about 8" long but I cut it way back earlier this year because I had to go to an important funeral.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I think it can be done.

I also think there are very wide definitions of what "looking professional" is based on the region, industry, person's age, and how they look with facial hair. Guys with very thick beards pull it off better IMO. A full beard trimmed properly looks more professional in most settings than a scraggly attempt at a beard.

I think in most settings either the 2nd or 3rd pic you posted is the most appropriate.

• Like Like x 3
  4. As someone who cannot grow a *full* full beard, I am jealous at those who can.

I had been rockin' the VanDyke style for years before I decided to start shaving everything off again recently, and I'd never been talked to for looking unprofessional.

I think the idea is that your facial hair should reflect the idea that you care about your appearance, in whatever way that may be. Shaving the areas that have very little hair growing, keeping your beard under a two inches or so in length, and in general just trying to not look like a hobo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm lucky to be in an industry where my professionalism is based on the cut of my suit jacket and the brand of timepiece I'm wearing and has little to do with my facial hair.

As with anything, if your beard is thick and symmetrical, you're a golden stud that can do no wrong. If you're equipped like me (horrible), you just look like a moth-eaten hobo.

Beards are manly, however ancient and obsolete that concept may be in the self-loathing 2010s.

Overall, I think professionalism is linked more to your personal hygiene, clothing and demeanor. Some of the sharpest dudes in my office are shaggy surfer-lookin' hombres.

Beards are just a fashion accessory to most people.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Regarding Borla's point above, GG what field is your husband in? Since professionalism with respect to beard growth really does vary so much from field to field, his chosen field may actually help determine what the limits are of acceptable facial hair growth in the workplace.

I have always found well maintained, well groomed facial hair attractive on men. Scraggly haired attempts at full beard growth by guys that just can't are a major turn-off, akin to desperate attempts at holding onto a full head of hair that just isn't there. I also think unkempt neck beards are kind of gross and would probably also appreciate an attempt at limiting the amount of cheek creep to the greatest extent possible.

In short, try not to look like this guy.

meet-andrew-luck-the-no-1-overall-pick-whos-going-to-take-the-nfl-by-storm.jpg

...unless you're Plan9.

HOBO BEARDS FTW!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Well, I'm a bearded professional, so I have to say yes.

It could be argued, I suppose, that I am in one of the few professions where beards are rather traditional, being a rabbi, but you don't find a lot of full-on, let's-grow-this-sumbitch-down-to-the-belt beards outside of the ultra-Orthodox world, and that's definitely not me.

I keep mine tidy. I use a beard trimmer, with a supplementary electric razor to do some shaping and tightening. Most days I just wash it with soap, but if I'm really sprucing up for the day, I do shampoo and condition it. I use the same stuff I use on my head, which is Aveda: expensive, but worth it. Natural, free of harsh chemicals, won't dry out hair or skin.

My length gauge is my pinkie finger. Freshly trimmed, the fullest part of my beard just covers the nail on my pinkie finger. I know it's time to trim if it hits or goes past the second knuckle on my pinkie finger.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Way to not confront me about this for over a decade.

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

To be fair, you didn't actually rock the hobo beard for that entire decade+.

10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

He works in supply chain for edible goods.

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

How much of his job involves face to face interaction with suppliers?

That is basically very similar in position to many of the people I deal with on a daily basis. I believe you are also in the Midwest? With this additional info I'd stand by my original post. If he keeps it fairly trimmed, avoids the neck beard, and it doesn't take him many weeks to transition from smooth to bearded, I think he's fine.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I like beards. I'm not overly fond of any of the ones you originally posted, though (mainly because I don't like that little...what do you call it...soul patch....thingie.)

Ben Affleck can rock a beard:

[​IMG]

And, yum, Richard Armitage (your husband might want to opt out of the hairstyle, though, I don't know):

[​IMG]
    --- merged: Nov 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM ---
    I also think it's worth noting that, living where you do, beards are seen as Not a Big Deal. Lots of hunters in that area, and beards keep their faces warmer in the woods :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband has a beautiful beard. He generally keeps it well maintained. He uses a styling cream on it from time to time when he wants it to look really good. He also deep conditions with coconut oil. He uses his regular shampoo. I find that he looks tidier when he keeps his neck beard trimmed and the beard at a reasonable length. His beard gets lots of compliments.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

My boyfriend has grown out his beard for the first time recently (took him a few weeks for it to fill in some, but now it's thick and needs to be trimmed often), and I honestly think he looks a little more professional with it. Perhaps because it adds a few years to his appearance, so it gives a look of seniority? Other men have commented that he looks significantly older than he is - "the beard adds at least 5 years, man," which is usually helpful for professional men, as they appear more experienced.

I agree, though, that a beard must be well-trimmed and maintained to look good. If you can't grow one, don't bother trying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

If it is well maintained and doesn't venture too far down onto the neck, I think it can look very professional. It really depends on the person. Some people just look awful with facial hair, and some people look weird clean-shaven.

I think the trick is just making sure you look like you take care of yourself.

I, on the other hand, get a few nasty chin hairs about halfway through my cycle that I rip out in horror every month. I don't think that would be a good look for me.
    --- merged: Nov 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM ---
    Also, for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  16. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

My only input is to keep it neat and tidy and definitely clean up the next beard - having one of those makes people think you don't care about your appearance.

17. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Too bad he doesn't make duck calls!

• Like Like x 3
  18. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I say yes. Yes, yes!

And I like full, natural all the way, baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also becoming a beard/tattoo kind of gal. Any one of these guys would suffer the brunt of my full admiration were I to see them in public.

[​IMG]

good god, and look at that chest hair
    [​IMG]

I also appreciate the dapper element and their exquisitely groomed beards.
    [​IMG]

And I could go for this type of beard, as well, especially when it's attached to this guy.
    [​IMG]

I love beards so much that I joined a beard forum a week or so ago, but I haven't spent a lot of time exploring the site, yet. I will look for maintenance tips and report back when I can.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Beards in the book publishing industry are expected but optional.

Being "professional" is more about wearing clean clothes, and maybe pants instead of shorts, plus a shirt with a collar. If it's evening, maybe wear a blazer.

If it's a gala or award night, ties will usually come out.

But the beards persist.

I'm Baraka_Guru, and I sport a van dyke.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Say, is it a proper noun or just when referring to the actual dude?