1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Body Armor

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by EventHorizon, Dec 23, 2012.

?

If you could only choose one piece of armor, what area would it protect?

1. Skull

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Torso

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  3. Arms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Legs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Feet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Eyes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. smooth spot

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Originally, this was going to be in the Tilted Weaponry page until I thought about how hard it would be to kill/maim with some body armor.

I’ve heard all the hubbub about DragonSkin and how much it fails (cool concept though) and why interceptor armor sucks at stopping blades (to include broadheads from bows?).

So the question I pose to you fine people is what is your favorite piece of protective equipment? Kevlar knuckle gloves? Dragon “ishitmyselfovertimeandcan’thandlehightemperature” Skin? A nice skull protector? The fancy new bulletproof polo?
    Let loose.

2. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I've got some Hatch Defender II's, decent enough leather gloves with a nice comforting half pound of steel shot sewn into the knuckles. I think if I had to pick ONE thing to armor though I'd go for the torso.

3. omega

omega Very Tilted

I wear a us armor bullet resistant vest for work. It is certified level 3a. So I'll keep that. I do also have a ceramic plate overvest for use against rifle rounds. But that is not worn daily. Actually yet to wear it at all. Hopefully never will need that or my vest.

4. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Mr. AFA, how does the interceptor, when fully equipped with hard plates, not stop a broadhead? I've never worn my interceptor w/o hardplates...

5. kurdtisj

kurdtisj Vertical

I would protect my torso if I had to choose one, but if I found a really cool piece of head gear I would wear that for style points.

6. KirStang

Practically, you'll want to protect your vital organs and center-of-mass, so it's definitely a body-condom for me. Kevlar and hardplates and all that good stuff. For style points though? Nothing like an awesome helmet. I keep thinking about Halo and the helmets the soldiers wear:

[​IMG]

7. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

The Halo Helmets limit visibility to less than 180 degrees. Those soldiers have no peripheral vision. Like motorcycle helmet. I would have to go with Torso for best armour. Sure being shot in the head induces insta-deadusness but people mainly aim for the Torso as it's a larger target.

8. KirStang

FWIW, I think modern domes of discipline are also pretty badass.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alistair Eurotrash

Out of curiosity, what on earth do you guys need this kind of stuff for?

10. KirStang

Stricken for being flippant. I'll post something more thoughtful.

11. Alistair Eurotrash

Thanks, I'm genuinely curious - not having a dig.

12. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Hehe ... on the old TFP, I think the Dunedian or someone started a thread about this really sexy looking assault rifle that cost the price of Uganda's GDP, which incidentally, would be the only thing you would need in order to invade Uganda. I asked WHY you would need the gun in the first place when an AK-47 is so much more cheaper and much more abudant.

They said "hunting".

Alistair, you will never understand. Attempt to do so and you will break your mind.

13. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I'm assuming it's fantasy gamewear. (fantasy as in imaginary) If I really thought you guys were purchasing this stuff and sitting at home dressed in it while you played Halo, I'd have to rethink my high opinion of you all.

Buying it to collect? I could see that if it wasn't for this damn liberal streak in me that abhors any and all collectors of non-essential crap when people are homeless and starving.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  14. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

It reduces your chances of being injured/killed if someone shoots you where the armor is located (assuming the armor is rated to stop that caliber of projectile.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alistair Eurotrash

Yes, but I assumed that this isn't every day wear (like you don't put it on to visit Kroger, I assume) - so is there some activity it is used for?

I can see it being used in some jobs (but I'd expect it to be supplied for those). In other circumstances, what is it for? Why would you buy it? Some military members do buy their own gear if they are not happy with what is supplied, but only a few do that (and it's mostly footwear).

16. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Are you prone to hanging out in dangerous places like projects where they sell drugs or maybe you like walking through target ranges?

So do you wear the armor over or under your camos? If over, do people look at you strangely?

To be fair, I have an image of this (thanks to kirstang) and have to admit that I would probably duck behind the counter at Walmart if I saw someone walking towards me dressed in this attire. Or maybe I'd just be rolling around the floor laughing.

In all seriousness, what threat requires this? Are we at war and no one told me? Are you a mercenary?

(they sell this stuff in the UK, too and there aren't even any guns here)

[​IMG]

17. EventHorizon

they sell it because fat and sweaty nerds who play too much Call of Duty: Modern Warfare see commercials for it in the game, and subsequently on TV. I can't say i'm a fan of being able to fit all of Dr. fucking Seuss's gadgets to my skull, and i can't see what purpose the American flag serves when i have a perfectly preserved McNugget preserved, whole, in my teeth to identify my as a 'MURICAN.

not sure how i feel about the ears being unarmored as well... they make headphones that'll fit under a helmet so... wtf? the NOD looks cool if you can afford the 12k it costs... but the eyewear looks dope as all get out. i'd totally use that in a bunch of activities (like while racing a fighter-jet on a runway with a leather jacket on, patches included, and aviators on with one hand fist-pumping the air and the other kung-fu gripping balls of elephantine proportions... because that's what everyone in the Chair Force does no?)

18. ChrisJericho

I wish. Do you know how much they make? I wasted my youth getting useless science degrees.

I don't own any body armor. However I also don't assume I'm smarter than other people and tell them how to spend their money.

19. EventHorizon

not to derail my own thread, but do you know what the necessary qualifications are to be a mercenary?

20. ChrisJericho

A beard and a "can-do" attitude?

• Like Like x 2