1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Book review: The Romanovs: The Final Chapter

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by the_jazz, Aug 12, 2011.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I'm going to try to post reviews of books I read after I finish them. There are a few in the queue, but since I just finished this one, I'll start here:

http://www.amazon.com/Romanovs-Chapter-Robert-K-Massie/dp/0394580486

This is the follow-up to Robert Massie's previous work, Nicholas and Alexandra. It is divided into three sections, one dealing with the murder, burial and identification of Nicholas II and his family, one dealing with the folks that claimed to be various members of the family (most notably Anastasia) and one that deals with the surviving Romanovs.

All in all, I liked this book very much. Massie is a gifted writer (as seen by his Pulitzer), and he obviously enjoys the subject matter. There are threads of mystery woven throughout and most of the payoffs are worthwhile. I do have to say that I feel that he rushed this since events were still unfolding as he finished writing in the spring of 1995. He leaves off with 2 of the 5 children still unaccounted for, and their remains were discovered in 2007.

That said, it's a good read and worth your time.