1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking News - Ottawa: Terrorism threat real?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Leto, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Well, it looks like there is a situation in Ottawa. 3 separate shootings around Parliament Hill, a s security guard and a soldier killed. This a day after an incident in Quebec, where a home-grown jihadist plowed his car into a couple of reservists, killing one.

Myself, I have the view that these people are absolutely without honour. If they represent ISIS, or any other tin-pot fundamentalist / extremist gangster outfit. They have not earned the respect of a dog. Beheadings? Rapes? and now spreading hate around the globe?

At any rate, here is the most current media report:

thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's largest daily

Soldier, security guard shot in Parliament Hill attack | Toronto Star

OTTAWA — A Canadian soldier and a Parliament Hill security guard were wounded Wednesday morning in a chaotic attack on the nation’s capital that police believe involves more than one assailant.
    Ottawa police Const. Marc Soucy said just before noon Tuesday that nobody had been arrested. Police are going under the assumption there is more than one shooter.
    All officers in the Ottawa police and RCMP are involved in the manhunt.
    Shootings occurred at the National War Memorial, Parliament Hill and near the Rideau Centre, police said.
    Ottawa police confirmed they had a call at 9:52 a.m. with a report of shots fired. Paramedics performed CPR on the soldier at the memorial and he was taken to hospital. But there was no word of his condition.

see also: CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Oh, this is very sad news.

3. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

4. genuinemommy

5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

its getting closer and closer to home

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

It appears to have been an attack by a lone wolf, self-radicalized local rather than an act planned and/or coordinated by any terrorist group, but that may change as more facts are made known.

We have those "lone wolf" types in the US and not just among Muslims. Those are the types that fly most under the radar and most difficult to predict and prevent.

7. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I have to say when it comes down to a political response the Canadians seem to be a lot more mature than most Americans.
    Justin Trudeau's speech is really impressive in candor and lack of crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. genuinemommy

9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

So I find it interesting that even though parents are entitled to 12 months of maternity leave, she was at work in Parliament with her baby less than 2 months old. Speaks to her engagement and passion. Her constituency is a fairly middle/working class suburb of Montreal, and she is elected as an NDP representative, which means she has a strong social stance - would be pro union, or at least have the support of the union vote. Definitely left of centre in a fairly conservative government.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I love that Parliament's Sergeant at Arms was the one to stop the gunman. Most look at the image below and see symbol in a goofy getup. Would that he'd used the mace to brain him instead of his gun.

[​IMG]

The other thing to note, is all this blather about Canada losing its innocence. Does America really need to be reminded that we have had our share of domestic terrorism -- October Crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we are lucky, this will not change us one little bit.

Also... did you note, in the Justin Trudeau speech above, that he did not end with the platitude of, God bless Canada. So refreshing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. genuinemommy

Thread moved to Politics.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.