1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

can you connect a PC to a router but stop it connecting to the internet?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Windows 8

I have plugged in to the router to share files with other PCs in the local network, but I dont want it to be able to connect to the internet. Is there an easy way, or do you have to change the firewall to do it?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

If you don't connect the router to a modem, you will not have Internet, unless of course it is one of those all in one router/modem deals.

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

There are several ways, all of varying sophistication and ease to implement.

Do you require other clients connected to the same router to be able to connect to the internet? Do you have control over the client PC? Is anyone else using it?

You can simply disconnect the router from an upstream connection.

You can null route all traffic from the client that isn't destined for a local address.

You can block the client via the firewall, either local or upstream.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I have a Linksys/Cisco router and under Access Restrictions, I can deny Internet access to a computer by MAC address. I assume most consumer routers will have a similar option.

• Like Like x 1