1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Cannabis: Economics & Policy

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by chipperaroo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Given that you posted this in a discussion forum instead of "Found on the 'Net," it would probably be a good idea to describe the video, show the video, then mention what you think about the video. This is the standard TFP format for good reason: it both focuses/guides the thread and gives the TL;DR crowd a chance to chime in. Me? I have no desire to watch hour long YouTube clips that mention cannabis in the title because I think pot is stupid.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Plan9 is spot-on. chipperaroo, I'm curious what your motivation was for posting this video, and why you thought it would be of interest to everyone here. You need to do a little to guide the discussion, perhaps a bit about the economics and politics behind Cannabis? Otherwise, I'm not quite sure why this link should be in this portion of the TFP. I have changed the title to reflect the changes I would like to see you make in your OP. Please feel free to go back and edit your initial post to add an intro and discussion points.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since you neglected to initiate a discussion, I'll blather about what came to my mind...
    The Botany of Desire was a great book, for this reason the title of the thread grabbed my attention. PBS did an excellent documentary based on the book, and maintains a comprehensive website on the book/documentary. I recommend checking out his transcript of a conversation between Michel Pollan and Michael Schwarz: The Botany of Desire: Based on the book by Michael Pollan: A Conversation with Michael Pollan and Michael Schwarz | PBS
    --- merged: Jun 13, 2012 2:47 PM ---
    Here is another link to a documentary on marijuana: The Union: The Business Behind Getting High.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfxaJQVxSA4

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  3. I stand corrected.

You'd be a good moderator?.

It's not quite a clip.
    It's a full lecture from the Avenali series @ Berkeley.
    "Pot is stupid" == Tilted Backward (sorry, my opinion)

But, to be fair, I said nothing about it.
    It's more of an intellectual diatribe about many things related to plants, and somewhat about the human culture's usage of mind-altering substances... focused / centered on Marijuana, it's not specifically or particularly about that...

... What it is about ... "The Botany of Desire" ...
    --- merged: Jun 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM ---
    I know, he beat you to the punch, and I knew better vis-a-vis having read something similar around here recently... my bad.

Not because I'm a pot-head. (And, on that note, MAYBE, once a year in a particular spot I vacation in, if others around have it; for anyone who cares.)

Tilted FORWARD (as in forward thinking).
    It's objective material... it's not "go smoke weed" propaganda. And that's not the emphasis or focus at all.

Partial explanation below quoting you on another point...
    ... but I think Plan9 is right ... probably belongs "Found on the Net", especially w/out impetus or description.

Kosher, no worries by me.

Seems like I don't have an "edit" option after a few posts or hours or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That was kind-of the point in discussing.... like the nature of mind-altering substances... the most random thoughts come to people's minds to speak... and I find those interesting (see my profile information, about me, brief description thingie).

I haven't read it, but, if I can ever pull my head out of code... I probably should... considering how much I liked the lecture and all.
    Problem is... I'm not a huge fan of people like Michael Moore... anyone charged in a polar fashion... and while Michael Pollen is an objective scientist, he's a bit polarized in my opinion.
    We'll see... I probably should read the book though.

Thank you for the other references :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

All I know is the current policies aren't working. Too much money spent trying to keep people from doing it. Too many prisons, permanent police records, and misinformation. Border wars, gang violence, and drug money...

Medical MJ isn't a whole lot better in CA at least. I'm not sure AZ will be any better. MI seems to have avoided the problems so far. But, I'm not an expert by any means. I just don't like the state government giving a new 'gang' a legal monopoly (that is risky considering the Feds still consider it illegal). If the MJ growers had to sell to regular pharmacies just like any other drug, and a licensed doctor who writes other prescriptions prescribes it, then it would be fine.

People without kids should be able to grow it (less than 10 plants) indoors.

It looks like Ohio will get to vote on it in Nov.