1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Charlotte RenFest

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Bear Cub, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Had a chance to take Munchkin to the Charlotte Renaissance Festival yesterday. Unfortunately we got a late start, a problem exacerbated by the ridiculous traffic flow in and out of the fairgrounds (suggestion for next year - establish two incoming lanes, and don't have 10 year olds directing traffic!)

Anyways... it posed an interesting challenge. The time of day and intermittent coverage from the trees resulted in constantly changing light conditions. I had only brought my 24-70 lens with me to stay light, but next year I'll definitely be bringing my flash and 70-200 despite the additional bulk. Had a lot of throwaways due to lighting that could have been overcome with fill flash, and missed an opportunity at the jousting event due to limited zoom range where my 70-200 absolutely shines (I would have had to bring two bodies though most likely - there was dust and dirt flying EVERYWHERE, so the environment wasn't very conducive to swapping lenses on a whim.)

Regardless, it was a good time, some interesting characters there, and here are a handful of shots that didn't look half-bad at first glimpse (apologies for the quality - Photobucket does some strange things with compression apparently).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--- merged: Oct 9, 2011 4:55 PM ---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Excellent photos. And people are dedicated.

3. Bear Cub

They are indeed (the dedicated part), and I only saw two anti-dorks the entire day. One guy with a light saber, and another guy donning a rather elaborate Halo costume for some reason.

I really wish I had the opportunity to walk through first thing in the morning before the crowds arrived. A lot of great photo ops lost based purely on the fact that it was impossible to eliminate some turd on his cell phone directly behind the subject, or that you couldn't get a shot off without someone's kid sprinting in for a family shot (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't want 400 pictures of other people's kids).

4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I almost went yesterday, my friends were there. Let me know if you plan on going back again.

Great pics btw!

5. Bear Cub

Oddly enough, I was actually wondering if I would be bumping into you and Cinn there. We may go back again later this month (Halloween weekend maybe) or the first weekend in November if LBC's brother and his fiancee come for a visit.

6. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

We wanted to go, but the funds just were not there. We are running on a shoestring budget til I get a paycheck from the new job. If you start making plans, let us know.

7. Bear Cub

Understood. Check out their website, too. Some fast food joints are carrying BOGO coupons for admission. We got 2 adult tickets through Valpak for 1/2 price.