1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Chicken Tiki masala

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DAKA, Oct 25, 2014.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

If you like this dish and want to make it the easy way, You Tube ...Chef John Tiki Masala
    we made it last night and it was super, excellent, superb ***** star
    The only problem is that it needs a few spices that you may not have, but get them, you will make this again.

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Love Tiki masala.
    Afraid I probably won't be getting it much now that I've moved.
    There's only two Indian restaurants here and no indo\pak stores where I can buy the spices.
    I might be able to get them online though but that's a big difference from Jersey where you could find the sauce at the local Target.

3. DAKA

I got most at PUBLIX, the smoked Paprika amd Garam Masala came form Whole Foods...it's soooo, easy to make, and no mess....

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Tikka masala can be delicious... I'll have to check this out. Thanks! Did you use smoked sweet or smoked hot paprika? Just curious.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The best thing about Chicken Tikka Masala is that it was invented in the UK.

It's kind of the Chow Mein of Indian food (Chow Mein was invented in San Francisco).

• Like Like x 1
  6. DAKA

The only "more exotic" than regular supermarket paprika I could find was at Whole Foods, Smoked Spanish Paprika it's in a small square car with a pop top and had a lablel marked hot.

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Chicken Tikka Masala - A True British National Dish | Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies

I love tikka masala, but I actually prefer to do it with tofu as a meat substitute. It ends up being like tikka paneer masala.

You can also totally cheat and buy masala simmer sauce: Saffron Road Food | All Natural Specialty Foods | Gourmet World Cuisine | Saffron Road Food
    Seeds of Change |
    I usually have a couple simmer sauces on hand for easy weeknight meals.

8. DAKA

Simmer sauces, what will they think of next, I looked up the ingredients in the sauces, pretty much no chemicals.
    The dish is really easy to make once you have the spices....

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Technically, everything around us is made up of chemicals. If something is made up of elements and molecules, it is made of chemicals. Therefore, all food is made of chemicals.

Often, a lot of what people mistake for "chemicals" (your usage) in food are actually thickeners or vitamins they're unfamiliar with. These thickeners are usually plant-derived (Xanthan gum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Carrageenan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Locust bean gum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Guar gum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Some vitamins that go by other names include C (ascorbic acid) and E (assorted tocopherols). Vitamins added to food can be added in synthetic and semi-synthetic foods, hence why B12 goes by cyanocobalamin in foods. At its fundamental building blocks, it's still vitamin B12, regardless of where it originated from.

Most arguments I see about food relate to Appeal to nature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the argument that a thing is good because it is "natural." Well, aren't elements natural? Molecules? "Natural" can be vague and specious.

10. DAKA

When I say "chemicals" I mean anything that I can't pronounce....<vbg>