1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Specials

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Redlemon, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Well, the programming guides are becoming clogged with Christmas specials again. Which shows do you make sure to watch every year? Which ones do you avoid? Seen any new good ones?

We just watched two new ones last night.

First, "A Phineas and Ferb Family Christmas", which as they are wont to do, perfectly nailed the folksy people-dropping-by-and-singing Christmas special. A brilliant Kelly Clarkson bit in it. Not much plot compared to normal Phineas and Ferb, but much more music.

Second, "Prep and Landing: Naughty vs. Nice". Not as good as the original, which was brilliant. I'd give it a B-, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

And last week, I saw the neighbor's kids perform in a stage version of "It's a Wonderful Life". I really liked this show, back just after I graduated from college. If I never see it again, it'll be too soon; the only reason I agreed to go was to support them. "Congratulations! You've sacrificed all of your own happiness for other people, and because of that, you won't be going to jail this time. However, your B&L is still in pretty crappy shape, and you still can't get out of this town. Merry Christmas!"

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I'm an old fuddy duddy.
    The Wizard of Oz was always considered a holiday program growing up because they showed it after Thanksgiving.
    And I still watch Charlie Brown Christmas, and my ALL TIME favorite, the Grinch!

3. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I'm one year older than you. I recall Wizard of Oz as being broadcast around Easter, not Thanksgiving, but I might be confusing it with The Sound of Music, as I reconsider.

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I like watching some of the Christmas shows on the Hallmark channel.
    They're mostly dramas and some romance comedies.

We also like watching all the iterations of A Christmas Carol. The ones with Alistair Sim, George C. Scott, Reginald Owen, Scrooge McDuck, Bill Murray and Henry Winkler.

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

the abominable snowman will stay near and dear to my heart until the end of time

• Like Like x 2
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love Scrooge with Albert Finney. He's just fantastic. I also always have to watch White Christmas. It's a tradition in my family. I can't miss Nutcracker: The Motion Picture either. It's basically the Pacific Northwest Ballet's performance of The Nutcracker made into a movie. I would love to see it live again, but until I can, the movie will do. Sure, I could go see a local production of The Nutcracker, but it just isn't the same. PNB's performance is special.

7. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas movie, and the only one I actually make it a point to watch. Love Actually is pretty good, too, but it doesn't make me tear up and sing along and feel all mushy and warm like the muppets manage to do.

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have the audio production in my collection of A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart in every role. Fantastic job and he brings every character to life; there are supporting sound effects which nicely complete it.

9. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

That sounds amazing!

10. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Star Wars Christmas Special. It hurts so good... In a bad way... But seriously, it's terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

For me it's not Christmas without 3 movies: The Nightmare Before Christmas, Scrooged (if only to hear Bill Murray, "Oh! I'm having the weirdest day!"), and finally One Magic Christmas with Harry Dean Stanton as the Christmas Angel. I always watch this movie with a box of kleenex handy, cause I always cry like a baby when Santa Claus shows up at the end.

12. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

This is actually New Year's Eve tradition: Dinner For One.

13. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Ooh! "Olive, the Other Reindeer" is on at noon this Saturday on Cartoon Network. I hope it is as good as I remember.

14. TBS would show A Christmas Story for 24 straight hours. My dad would have the tv on TBS the entire time as background noise. My family would stop to pay attention at various points to watch our favorite parts, "Fuuuuuuuuudge." We never bought the movie because it was always on TBS. I don't know if they still do that since I haven't had cable in years. I'm thinking I need to get the DVD so I can still watch it...and put it on repeat.

I always watch the Grinch...animated only. I try to catch Frosty or Rudolph. For fear that I'll miss them, I've ordered them through Netflix along with Nightmare Before Christmas.

My friend introduced me to Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, as it's a fond memory from her past. We're planning on scheduling to watch it simultaneously with me on the West Coast and her on the East Coast with her girls. We'll text during the whole thing most likely.

Redlemon, I LOVED the first Prep and Landing. It was too cute. I haven't seen the latest shows though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I also like watching the Disney version of A Christmas Carol that has mickey mouse and scrooge McDuck in it. An interesting thing is that I've been watching it since I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. When I watched it as I was younger it seemed so long, yet the older I get the shorter it seems.

I also try to watch the claymation specials Year Without A Santa Claus (go Snow Miser !) and Santa Claus is Coming To Town. Plus I like the cartoon with the little mice in the clocktower, I believe that one is called Twas The Night Before Christmas.

Oh yes and Charlie Brown is a must watch !

16. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

ZombieSquirrel; there's a live version of Emmett Otter, which I saw a couple of years ago. The most awesome moment for me was when the squirrels (not part of the original show, but the first hand-puppets to come on stage during the show) entered, and I realized that I was watching Henson-Studio-Trained muppeteers at work. The rest was great as well.

17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Jack Frost was always my favorite. Not the cheesy horror movie, the old stop-motion TV special from the '70s. It's definitely more bittersweet and less "Christmasy" than the other specials, but I've loved it since I was a kid.

The Grinch is another old favorite -- the original cartoon, not the newer one.

And maybe not so much a tradition for anyone else, but I must watch "Amends" (the Buffy Christmas episode) or it just isn't Christmas.

18. Mister Coaster

Mister Coaster New Member

I love The Year Without a Santa Clause. If for no other reason then Snow Miser and his hot-headded brother, Heat Miser. I love their songs and all their minions that look just like them... (ok so the minions are a little creepy, but still) I like all the Rankin-Bass animated ones, but that's the top for me.

I also love the music in the Charlie Brown Christmas, and The Grinch's song. Classic!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The Boris Karloff/ Chuck Jones, Grinch Who Stole Christmas. It's a Wonderful Life. White Christmas.

The Rankin Bass stuff: Year Without a Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Mickey Rooney just creeps me out).

They don't really air these shows on television here. We've had to get the DVDs to watch them.

20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Only slightly related but I love The Waitresses Christmas Wrapping song.
    I always get a big smile when that one shows up on the radio after Christmas.