1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Cleaning a "convection oven"

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DAKA, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

A friend gave me a OSTER convection oven (fancy name for a toaster oven), well, he's a SLOB, he NEVER cleaned the inside in 2 years....disgusting, I wouldn't even donate it to the thrift shop in this condition, so clean it or into the trash.....(what a shame)
    Anyone have a super cleaner that they use? I tried full strength Green, hardly a dent....
    Barkeepers Friend with a wet sponge....nope....
    It appears to be stainless steel .....???
    The only reason I took it was he evidently wiped the top occasionally so it looked pretty good...

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Try Mr. Muscle. We used that at the restaurant I worked at. After a proper soaking period, it would lick off absolutely anything. The stuff's pretty harsh though, so use with care.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I used to have one of these guys, inherited from some roommates that also never cleaned the thing. Here is what worked.

You will need:
    Dawn dish soap (straight-up Dawn, the blue kind, no substitutes)
    1-2 Magic Eraser (the Mr. Clean brand does last longer than its competitors, and the heavy duty kitchen version is handy here)
    baking soda
    very hot water
    rubber gloves

Unplug the toaster. Remove the crumb tray and set it to soak in very hot water for the time being. Mix equal parts Dawn and baking soda into a paste. Apply the paste directly to the metal interior of the toaster oven, avoiding the element and any vents. Let it sit for a long while, preferably overnight. Meanwhile, take the crumb tray and apply the same paste to it. Let it sit as well. Once you are ready to start scrubbing, brush off any excess baking soda before starting. Dip the Magic Eraser in the very hot water (it should be hot enough that you can stand it while wearing rubber gloves). Squeeze out the sponge, and use sufficient elbow grease to degrease the interior of your oven. Be sure to use as little water as possible in this process and to rinse as often as you can, squeezing the sponge well each time. You may need to use more than 1 Magic Eraser, depending on the difficulty of the job; the Magic Eraser is designed to break up as you scrub.

You may have to repeat this treatment a couple of times to get it completely clean. Wipe out the oven once you are finished, then turn it on as hot as it will go, and let the oven's heat burn off any remnants of dish soap or baking soda. Voila, clean toaster oven.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mhannigan Vertical

Won't the fumes from the burning residual chemical sponge kill you?

5. snowy

No.

6. mhannigan Vertical

Why not?

7. snowy

Because that's not how melamine sponges work. The final wipe down with a rag and hot water should be enough to remove any traces of melamine.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I would have guessed "the FDA."

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

That too. They dissolve into microparticles that are easily wiped away--much more easily than baking soda or soap.

10. mhannigan Vertical

I thought they were poisonous.

11. snowy

• Like Like x 1