1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Clicking the Like button on posts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

This might or might not need to be a thread, but I think it deserves an explanation. I've seen other members offer the same explanation in various threads.

To be specific:

When I use the Like button on posts that contain unpleasant information
    --pet death, bad marriage, unpleasant job, lemon car, etc.--
    I do so as a way of saying Thanks For Sharing,
    not because I like the situation.

Otherwise I use Like because the content is interesting, funny, adds to the discussion, to encourage new members, etc.

-------------------------------

Do you avoid clicking Like because you think the Like might be misunderstood?

• Like Like x 4
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I use it as, "I read this, I care."

• Like Like x 5
  3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I don't do Facebook. It's more of a "This amuses me" button to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I've had the "should I like this, or not?" thought go through my head a handful of times. Sometimes, in the spirit of "thanks for sharing" or "I read this, I care" I've clicked it, as described above. Other times I've thought the post was a little too sensitive or sad to do so, so I left it be.

But the vast majority of the time it is for interesting/funny stuff.

The times that I've had people like posts that were telling bad news, I always assumed it was out of a good motive, not because they were happy something bad was going on, lol. :p

• Like Like x 4
  5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Short answer..... Yes

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldtimer56

oldtimer56 umime

Use it a lot..

• Like Like x 1
  7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Does one want more choices? Someone not staff make a poll!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I use Twitter every day. I use the Like button when there is some value to a given statement (or Tweet). Value does not mean something is good or bad. It can be neither. As @genuinemommy put it so succinctly, it simply acknowledges that I read it and it meant something to me ("I care").

When I started a TFP thread the other day it occurred to me that I really like the practice of a thread starter liking all the replies as an acknowledgement of thanks for people taking the time to comment. If I wanted to do more I would respond with words, o/w the simplicity of the Like button suffices.

No need to fret about it. To do so over-inflates the importance of the Like button.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Twitter user here as well, and ridiculously fond of the Like button. On the image threads I was worried as there is no way to like or show appreciation other to reply which breaks the flow, and I still have a lot of etiquette to learn here.

10. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

People here are pretty laid back and straightforward. If you have any questions, speak up, you'll likely get feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I don't understand...what about LIKE needs explanation?
    I LIKE you ????

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Acknowledged
    Word