1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

[Collective Commons] Synthesize Me, along with everything I touch

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Jetée, May 23, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Again, I'm looking for an outlet for what interests me; and hopefully, I'm not totally alone in how electrically ecstatic this impetus of sound+touch made me feel.
    What is to follow is the compendium to which I am seeking to collect any and all forms of synthesized, mechanical, and electronically-created notes of tinny familiarity.
    Whether they be of a visual, aural, or interactive medium, I shall try to include a variety of different sights, sounds & inventions.
    (this topic has been in a holding state for a return, but now with the catalyst of a synchronized event, it comes back into being. let's begin.)

In a previous incarnation: thetfp.com/tfp/found-net/153819-stylophone-madness.html

- - - - -

Presenting... (an introductory i.e.) May 23 of 2012's Virtual Google Moog Recorder
    [​IMG]
    Robert Moog's 78th Birthday - "celebrating an American pioneer of electronic music"
    I already created my tune, as it is featured above (it took me over an hour of research, tinkering, practice, and session, but I did it my way - can you guess the piece? {no, despite my initial attempts, I did not create an original})

The video below actually helps as a primer to familiarize yourself with how the virtual MiniMoog seeks to replicate its functions as compared to one in reality.

If you'd like to see, view or hear more, I'd suggest following Google's news feeds today, (Technology or Entertainment) and also checking YouTube for user-submitted content regarding today's interactive doodle. There should already be a decent amount of influx, as I just found out about this around four hours ago, and spent half that time creating this thread (and the UK and Australia, for instance, were exposed to this delight even earlier). What I seem to notice with the shares, however, is that unless you record the sounds made by the device through an external mic or a separate running program, the link that the doodle outputs will revert the sound/pitch/wave settings back to the default (near the same thing happens each time you type something in the Google search box, or refresh the page). It is still quite fun. This link by gozza seems familiar to me: a google moog -- but I cannot identify from where it could have originated - any ideas?

-- Thank you to JackT of inthemix, as well as Miranda Miller of SearchEngineWatch, for composing fun/interactive and comprehensive/learning overviews respectively, to Today's unique Google Doodle.

2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Updating the above, just stumbled across this video, and thought it was a nice take on the events of yesterday's Google celebration.
    (in a nerdly+nerdly = (___) way)

personal thoughts: I, too, found the easier way to navigate the interactive doodle was through the keyboard (configured buttons were 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,0,-,= and the entire QWERTY row corresponds to the white keys.) I had to look a few lead lead sheets myself to try my hand at my share - definitely easier to use the virtual device if you have any experience at all playing the keyboard.

3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Yahama concept: key for you

[​IMG]
    The concept is a small keyboard built into a leather notepad. (from Milano Salone 2008)

4. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Interview + Informational + Experimental session w/ Adam & Ramon (+ Breakdance!)

FEMNRG003: "Why do adults resent it so, and why do I like it?"

song featured in the opening + end: Kindness - House (* as featured elsewhere -)

[femaleenergy.]

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

As early as one month ago, I believe, I was exposed to knowledge of the name 'Carly Rae Jepsen'.
    Just about last week, I learned why her name mattered (I actually found out the name of her hit song).
    It seems that this one song, (that begun as a feel-good, teen-bop-ish tune about puppy love, and missed connections?) its creator, (an attractive, fresh-faced and a seemingly-talented youth, who is also female) and its hold on pop culture (it is being parodied in various stages and wacky places) has veritably transmogriphied it into the 'single of the summer' (of '12).

Thus it has come to the level where I finally took notice of the convergences, and have took the time and effort to try to find this share's place in the pantheon (and attached with a primer, no less).

So, here is... a mish-mashed jam session: (of various and little-used instruments and melody-makers performed by)

"Call Me Maybe" (w/ Classroom Instruments)

Carly Rae Jepsen, Jimmy Fallon, and The Roots (Black Thought, Questlove, Frank Knuckles, Cap'n Kirk, Mark Kelley, Tuba Gooding Jr. & James Poyser {missing in action: Kamal?}) perform as an emsemble band, with borrowed instruments, taken by hand.

The reason I share this here is, well, I was hoping to receive feedback (of any positive sort) and guesses as to the various instruments that are seen and heard in the above video. (Pro-tip: visiting the youtube splash page and clicking 'show more' will have you disqualified from this guessing collaborative venture.)

To start it off - I can say for certainty that these instruments were used: a couple of tambourines, bongos, a melodica, a ukelele, a miniature toy xylophone, (with wheels!) and an indeterminate number of kazoos and recorders (my guess is two of each). Please, what else am I missing, and can you name it below?
    BIG BROWNIE BONUS POINTS: can any one name the device Fallon turns on at the beginning of the video to set the tempo, and produces the ongoing beat heard throughout the video? You'll probably win my heart if you come through with a definitive answer on that guess.

[buzzfeed.]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

I must be churning out too much unconveyed / unreceived thought into these things. (time / sentence limiter seems like the logical solution?)

moving on...

[​IMG]
    Mark Richards

[buamai.]

8. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Beat Construction: El-P << THE FADER
    | Photo by: Annie Ling

Story & Interview by Andrew Noz
    READ MORE...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  9. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Read more... (or, translated)
    - - -
    + bonus

[​IMG]

10. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

12. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Rolf Harris, (Australia) for Dübreq's Stylophone. (1969-70s)

[google.] + [retrothing.]

13. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[Read of Interest] Why You’ll Never Hear the Weirdest Instruments Ever Made

[​IMG]
    Milton Babbitt, Peter Mauzey and Vladimir Ussachevsky, with the RCA Mark II Synthesizer
    Columbia University Computer Music Center, 1958.