1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

[Collective Commons] Visuals of Interest

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Jetée, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

The repository for those visuals that I'd like to get rid of share with you lovely, yet silent folks that peruse these barely whispered parts of the sub-forum dropdown.

The exemplary exposition:

[visual] Significant Objects (ed. by Joshua Glenn & Rob Walker) - video preview

[​IMG]
    Details: Significant Objects by Joshua Glenn & Rob Walker (Fantagraphics ; 2012)
    a literary and anthropological experiment whose first two phases ran from July 2009 through October 2010, demonstrated that the effect of narrative on any given object’s subjective value can be measured objectively.

The project auctioned off thrift-store objects via eBay; for item descriptions, short stories purpose-written by over 200 contributing writers, including Meg Cabot, William Gibson, Ben Greenman, Sheila Heti, Neil LaBute, Jonathan Lethem, Tom McCarthy, Lydia Millet, Jenny Offill, Bruce Sterling, Scarlett Thomas, and Colson Whitehead, were substituted.

The objects, purchased for $1.25 apiece on average, sold for nearly $8,000.00 in total. (Proceeds were distributed to the contributors, and to nonprofit creative writing organizations.)

Most recently, a book collection of some of our finest stories has been published by Fantagraphics.

READ MORE...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Image of a female archer from the fourth (revived) Olympic Games, held in London. (c) 1908

More detailed:
    On target ...
    Mrs. A (Beatrice) Hill-Lowe, bronze medal winner in the Women's National
    Round Archery event at the 1908 London Olympics.
    -- (Photo: Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[NPR.] + [SMH.]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

4. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Five-year-old Ellie May Challis alongside South-African Olympic
    sprinter Oscar "Blade Runner" Pistorius. -- (Photograph by Andy Hooper)

[DailyMail. / Yahoo!]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[Visual of Interest] Italo Romano, il ragazzo senza gambe star dello skateboard
    Italo Fernandes Romano (Brasil)

The Curitiba native lost his lower limbs at 13 when he fell while playing with his friends on a moving train.
    Romano refused to let the accident define him, and soon proved that even as half a man he’s twice the skater
    many professionals are.

+ bonus VIEW Visual Featurette (foreign)

[metro.]

7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    -- Photograph by Brian Kushniruk, as captured in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canadia. (11 of March, 2012)

author's comments:
    A Sikh Motorcycle club was doing a photoshoot on the beach
    and I was able to grab a few candids between their shots.