1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

College Football 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Today the college football season begins. Cal will play Hawaii (in Australia).
    Here's a guide to the televised games from USA today: 2016 college football TV schedule

We cheer on a few teams:
    Cal
    UCLA
    Miami (Ohio)

I've been staring at the schedule this morning, trying to determine which games will be big, trying to figure out how to schedule alternative activities for the kiddos so he can enjoy a few games without distractions.

So, what games are you looking forward to?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Primarily I root for Oregon, my second favorite is Iowa. Oregon has a tough schedule this year, the PAC 12 just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Wish I had the time to shoot out to the Oregon-Nebraska game, but I don't think I can make it work.

Iowa could have another strong year in the Big Ten too.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Last season the UH Cougars went 13-1, beating Florida St in the Peach Bowl. I don't know enough about their schedule, how many starters will be returning, etc. to make any predictions. Their season opener is against the Oklahoma Sooners, and I don't think it's ever safe to look past the Sooners.

I root for the OSU Cowboys because they've been in the Sooners' shadow for so long.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. genuinemommy

The Golden Bears beat the Rainbow Warriors 51:31.

I watched the first touchdown. It was made by a Golden Bear, Khalfani Muhammad. 34 yards! That's quite a long way to run. Thrilling. I admit I did not watch the rest of the game. My husband was glued to the set until after 2am.

5. Chris Noyb

ABC is showing the Sooners v Cougars game, and

we're getting it locally starting in about five minutes.

A win by the Cougs (last I heard they were 11 point underdogs) would give them a huge boost in confidence.
    A loss, esp a lopsided one, could seriously test their resolve.

6. Borla

So far so good. What a kick return on that missed FG, eh?

7. Chris Noyb

Cougars 33, Sooners 23. Yes, Cougars, yes!!

I don't know what, if any, difference it would've made, but I was wondering about the Sooners burning two timeouts early in the 3rd quarter.

The Cougars were 11 point underdogs + They won by 10 = A 21 point victory ;) :D :p.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Born and raised in Kansas, now living in Nebraska, yes, it feels good to see the Sooners blow it every now and then.

But that cheapest of cheap shots that LSU guard Josh Boutte committed against Wisconsin takes the cake for yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

A lot of experts are skeptical of the Cougars ability to maintain their success of last season, which is fair enough given their up-and-down history.

The Sooners loss will make it extremely difficult, but certainly not impossible, for them to be a top ranked by the end of the season. The Cougars have made the Sooners margin of error very, very slim.

I've yet to find a good video of Boutte's hit. One wouldn't load at all, and two didn't show the hit very clearly.

10. Lindy

My college team, the Emporia (Kansas) State Hornets, lost to NorthWest Misouri State last Thursday, 41-14.
    I'm thinking of going to Homecoming on October 15th. I haven't been back for a game for several years. Small college is quite different atmosphere from that here in Big Red Huskerville. I may even play in the Alumni Band.:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. genuinemommy

Tt was horribly sad when UCLA lost this weekend.

12. Chris Noyb

Serious question--Is it my imagination, or are the refs in college football lenient about holding by offensive linemen?

There were a few plays in OU-UH game where it looked as though one of the Sooners OL was trying to tear the shoulder pads off some of the Cougars. Yes, I'm biased, but some of the 'takedowns' were pretty flagrant.

13. Borla

All refs everywhere are extremely lenient about offensive holding on the line. If you wanted to strictly interpret the letter of the rule it could be called on nearly every play.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Borla

All refs everywhere are extremely lenient about offensive holding on the line. If you wanted to strictly interpret the letter of the rule it could be called on nearly every play.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

That's a given in football; if every hold on the OL was called the games would average 18 hours :D. I'm curious to know if the refs in the college games are even more lenient. And I wasn't joking about the shoulder pad grabs & takedowns.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  16. Chris Noyb

Nobody expected Lamar to be competitive against UH, so the embarrassing loss was expected. I give the Cougars kudos for not making a humiliating loss.

17. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

That's how i felt about my dawgs game

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lindy

Wyoming Cowboys Head Coach Craig Bohl had a home town homecoming of sorts, having graduated from high school and university in Lincoln, and was an assistant for many years under Tom Osborne, and defensive coordinator under Frank Solich, before moving to Head Coach at North Dakota State, where he won 3 consecutive FCS national championships.

On Saturday the Huskers beat the Wyoming Cowboys 52-17, mostly the Cowboys piling it on themselves when they turned over the ball six times in the fourth quarter.

Nebraska's first real test will be next Saturday when the Oregon Ducks come to town.

I'm planning on enjoying the festivities on a big screen TV at some out of town location.:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

I don't normally follow college FB, much less watch the games, but the Buckeyes vs Sooners should be a good one. If the Sooners lose to another top-ranked team, they can pretty much kiss any dreams of a national championship goodbye.

Since I sort of follow the OSU Cowboys, one of the officials admitted that he blew the call. I don't know what the appeal process--if there is one--entails, but something tells me the end result will be: Shit happens, deal with it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Pretty sure that the results of the game won't change, but I did hear that the MAC has suspended the crew of officials for two games for blowing the call in that OSU/CMU game. Feel bad for the Cowboys. They should be playing with a Chip on their shoulders from here on out. (Sorry/not sorry for the pun)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2