1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help, please.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Background:

I use AT&T Yahoo. Yesterday I was browsing an adult site when a notice popped-up telling me that I was violating several laws and my computer was being 'arrested' until I paid a fine via PayPal.

Sure enough, I couldn't get the computer to do anything, so I shut it off. After restarting it I ran Avira security software (free version, please see Related Question) full scan which found one malware program, the name of which I now forget. I selected having it quarantined.

Problems:

I've lost my list of favorites, which is a very long list.
    I can no longer save anything to favorites. I can go through the procedure, but nothing actually saves.
    The new tab function which normally lets me see the recent sites I've visited shows comes up, but the sites aren't there. For example, previously I could close the window with the TFP, and later use New Tab to quickly reaccess the TFP...but not now.
    It's as though the computer is not 'remembering' anything.

Related Questions:

Is it possible to recover my favorites?
    Will my wife kill me?
    Is Avira Pro worth the $54.00 price tag?
    Any suggestions for a really good security program?

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Well, never mind. I tried the following, which worked:

Ran CCleaner.
    Then shut down the computer 'properly' using the installed software.
    Then restarted it.
    And my favorites were back.
    Selected Google from the Favorites list, and entered TFP via Google.
    Logged into TFP, then I went back to my home page.
    Then I selected New Tab, and both Google and TFP showed up.
    So far so good--Favorites, and New Tabs appear to be OK.

Now my wife won't kill me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

There are several malware apps that are good to root out Hijack viruses.
    Ad-aware, Search & Destroy, HijackThis (although, you need to know what's what before using this one...)

BTW, make sure your AV is up to date. (firewall on)
    I keep a separate locked down account/profile to few those more "interesting" sites. (with minimal cookies, ad-blockers, locked down setttings in the browser itself)

And I like Auslogics Boostspeed for a system optimization/cleanup app. (been using it for over a decade, even on professional systems)
    It will also allow you to tweak your system to turn off unneeded things.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I love Kaspriski personally for a virus protection - some naughty people like to put maleware and virus at naughty sites.