1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats to Jim Thome on hitting his 600th HR.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

One of the classiest guys in baseball.

He's also one of only a couple players that I would honestly be shocked to hear took PEDs. The dude didn't even start working out in a gym until he was in his 30s, he's just a hoss.

But in general, he just seems like a really likable guy who never got too full of himself. In a Sports Illustrated poll several weeks ago he was voted the friendliest MLB player by several hundred other players in the league. It wasn't even close either.

He went to school not far from me (he's several years older) and I remember following his career back when I was a kid. He still does local commercials for mom and pop businesses back home too, which I think is pretty cool since you know he can't be getting paid any serious amount of money for them.

2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i agree with everything you said. the issue is that he will be covered up in the "steroid era" even if he didnt use them.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Yup.

Think about it. Here is the all time HR list:

Bonds (steroids)
    Aaron
    Ruth
    Mays
    Griffey
    A-Rod (steroids)
    Sosa (steroids)
    Thome

Thome would be 5th all time without the known cheaters. I give Griffey the benefit of the doubt. And Thome missed most of 3 straight seasons with injury (91-93).

He also hit his 600 HRs in the second fewest plate appearances (next to Ruth), and the only guy to have 0 at bats between 599 and 600. Ruth had 1 AB between 599 and 600, Aaron had 2 ABs between them.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i believe there should be a * beside bonds name

5. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

The unfortunate thing is that it's baseballs own fault for not making them illegal for as long as they did. It wasn't cheating if it wasn't against the rules.

6. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Yep, grats. Outside of Griffey, he's one of the top ;)

7. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

My thoughts exactly. I was amazed when McGuire was able to say that creatine was perfectly legal in baseball when it was banned by the other 3 major professional sports plus all the Olympic committees.

8. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I was talking about this at work last night... How nobody is making a big deal out of it because of the age of steroids kinda soured people on home run numbers. Most people not in the know look at a big guy hitting home runs and thinks, "Steroids, meh." But I agree with all of you as well, Thome never used performance enhancing substances, and deserves to be much higher on that list.

9. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

he used to be my favorite player before the steroid thing hit and i vowed to never watch baseball again. i didn't even know he was still playing to be honest. impressive for a clean guy to hit this number though.