1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Costco shoppers vs Walmart shoppers

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, Jul 2, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Anyone care to make any comments, I'd love to see where this heads...

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

There are entire websites dedicated to the people at Walmart, so.... :p

I completely stopped going there about 7-8 years ago. The customers were at least a partial factor in that decision. :D

If Costco were a bit closer I'd probably give it more of a chance. Are there specific stereotypes about Costco that you had in mind?

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I do 80% of my shopping at Costco.
    Buying everything in bulk reduces the number of times I have to bug someone for a ride to the store and how I spend my money.
    The food can get a bit repetitious at times but I'll go out to eat with friends if it gets too bad.

I don't shop at Walmart so I can't compare.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

There are two stores I wish I had local to me:
    Costco
    Wegman's.

Wal Mart is 25 minutes away. We have shopped there about 5 times in the last 15 years.
    Does not appeal to me.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

My first stop for the week is Costco.
    I get my bulk items that last a long time there.

Walmart I go for those things in the middle of the night and off-hours.
    But it's rare that I go there.
    Frankly, I have nothing against it...I just hate the lines, there is always LONG lines...and they take forever.
    Same reason I avoid the Safeway right below me. (that and they're pricey for no damn good reason)

My Costco, the lines go fast.
    That and their 5 buck chicken roasts are the shit. (and I get my breakfast sandwiches there)
    Ok, I like their Chicken Bakes too.

Really, you have to be careful at Costco...you'll go thru spending $200 without being careful. (and that's just for myself...god forbid you have a family)

I hate lines, BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DAKA

Walmart = Cheap ammo.....sometimes....nothing else for me.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

So you're a redneck too?
    The times I shop at WalMart I leave with motor oil, filters, and ammo.........

8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Geez, am I a semi-redneck, too?

My local Costco sells motor oil, now. I have no reason to ever go back to Walmart.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

When we had a Costco membership we liked it, but it is about 30 min. away and just was not convenient to our location.
    Walmart is five minutes from our house. >.< We rarely go there but they have some odd things that are hard to find locally. I usually go there for sewing notions if I can't get to a fabric store and my husband has found that the iPad Pro is $100 cheaper than our local Fred Meyer's.
    The people are something else entirely and seem to have a different pace of life than most folk, and that is all I'll say about that. lol

I didn't put those hyperlinks in. :confused:

10. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have bought cheap oil from both, cheaper at Walmart. And they have filters. I have bought ammunition and fishing lures from walmart, as well as the annual fishing license. I have grocery shopped at walmart, though it's been a while I usually shop at target. As far as costco, I have been a member for over twenty years, aside from a 2.5 year period I lived in grand junction and the only costco was 90 miles away. Costco saves money. 18 eggs from target is 3.99. 1.99 from costco. And costco's product quality is overall very good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I buy a lot of our groceries at Costco. We also buy our clothes there.

My list: red peppers, onions, mushrooms, giant container of spinach, cucumbers, cantaloupe or pineapple, sweet potatoes, Asian cashew salad, kale poppyseed salad, grape tomatoes, pesto, feta cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, butter, toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, paper plates, plastic cutlery (for camping and stuff), dish pods, Dawn, laundry detergent, trash bags, veggie sausages, Greek yogurt, almonds, olive oil, maple syrup, pancake mix, canned beans, Ranch dressing powder, bread, ibuprofen, acid reflux medicine, dried mango, and cookbooks.

Some of these items I buy every 2 weeks. Some I buy every six months. It just depends.

I never shop at Walmart. There's a neighborhood market version or whatever by my house, but I prefer to shop at the more expensive fancy grocery store a block over.

12. snowy

Also, we just bought a tent at Costco. I like knowing that if it breaks, I can take it back, no questions asked. Costco's return policy is phenomenal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I only shop at Costco, Walmart, and Dollar Tree.

Feel free to judge me.

14. snowy

I despise Dollar Tree. It's all overpriced cheap Chinese crap--but it FEELS like a deal because it's only a dollar! No thanks.

And I'm not judging you, @genuinemommy. I know there are some things in life that are good to get at Dollar Tree, but it's just not for me.

15. DAKA

This is not going the way I thought it might....I was thinking "people"

16. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

If your student chewed through board books, crayons, and markers on a weekly basis, you might change your mind.

Walmart has the most reliable selection of vegetarian food that I can find here in Texas. 1/3 the price of whole foods and always in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

I can understand that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. oldtimer56

oldtimer56 umime

Never seen a costco store. Despises Walmart with a passion but they are cheaper than most...