1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Could you possibly justify owning a Kindle Fire if you already had an Ipad?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, May 10, 2013.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

So I got some vouchers from work again.

I spent some getting a new TV (upgraded from a 22 inch 15 year old model to a 38 inch LED!) and I still have some less.

I have a normal kindle, and realistically I cannot see that the Fire is anything more than a chopped down Ipad... is there any possible justification for a human being to own both?

(I cannot spend the vouchers on normal things like food and bills, so i'm going to splash out on something unnecessary...)

2. My son has a Nook and an iPad. He reads a lot. The iPad isn't necessarily the best for ereading.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I love my Kindle Fire. I gave my old school Kindle to my wife and she still uses it. That said, my usage of the Fire would probably be half or a third of what it is if I owned an iPad as well.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I vote Nexus 7. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Well, if it was basically free, I could totally justify it. :)

6. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

There is a kindle app on the Ipad. its a touch heavy to hold in one hand for a long time I guess, but it works ok.

I think ive talked myself out of it.

7. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Hahaha... First-world problems :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. NobleDeb

NobleDeb Getting Tilted

My friend has an iPad mini and a Kindle Paper white.
    She can easily justify both because the Paper White is fantastic for reading.
    But she says having 2 different tablet computers would be overwhelming and unnecessary.

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Now looking at this thread, updating from a year ago, I do have an iPad Air. With it, I do not use my Fire anymore at all.

I do agree with @NobleDeb though, if my Kindle was a Paper White, I still might use it a bit. Probably for late night or outdoor reading mostly.

10. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

yeah, the Ipad ( I have a #2 & #4) is a tad heavy to hold while reading (especially in bed) and really hard to read outside unless there's some shade around.

I have a Kobo which I've been using for several years and wouldn't give it up. It's light, can be read in the sun and fits into your jacket pocket. I also have about 20 books lined up on it to read. I took my Ipad only on a trip overseas last month and gave up on reading my books because the back lighting was harsh.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If I had $419 (+ tax) kicking around, I'd buy an iPad mini now that they updated it to the Retina display. I don't consider the 7.9-inch screen small because I'm used to reading trade paperbacks or smaller.

I have considered getting a much cheaper Kobo, but I like the Apple integration, and watching Netflix on the iPad would be a bonus.

As it happens, I still read paperbound books.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

yeah I like paperbacks too. I just returned a book to the library, partially read, because I could take the smell of cigarette smoke that the previous borrower got all over it. Actually I'm ambivalent but am trending to liking the ereader more due to its convenience. It just on airplanes, during the boringest part of the flight (taxing etc) we aren't allowed to use them.

13. Baraka_Guru

Oh, I'm sure I'd love reading ebooks, ultimately.

14. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Strangely, despite my love of technology, I too prefer to read physical books. Especially when they're older; I think holding a dusty old yellowed book full of stories is part of the experience :)

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I could definitely see the advantage of using a Kindle Paperwhite. Sometimes the glare on my Nexus is annoying.

16. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

In the US, you're now allowed to use ereaders and MP3 players etc from gate to gate, just not laptops. I was a bit annoyed that it didn't apply to my international flight, but I'll take what I can get. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

I now realize I can get a Kobo Mini for $50. Sheesh.

18. Baraka_Guru

Not only did I just get a Kobo Arc for $85, but I'll be able to write it off as a business expense. :cool:

I've now arrived at the 21st century.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I will be dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century.

Although I do like the idea of having many books in one very portable device.....if it has good battery life....and most importantly displays the text large enough for my tired eyes.