1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Diskless PXE boot server

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lordeden, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I lose CD/DVDs in client pcs all the damn time. At least once a week someone brings me back a repair disk or a win AIO that I left in their pc. I've tried making USB boot drives, but they don't always interface with the PC as well as a DVD does. I've got pcs laying around and a working Esxi server running in the office. I want a PXE boot server.

I've messed around with a tutorial on the net I found, but found out it wouldn't work like I want too. I have about 7 DVDs that I boot to on a regular basis on multiple pcs. They load their files into RAM (MRI, Hirens, System Pro, various bootable AV programs) or I am reloading an OS from a DVD (xp, vista, 7). I've found that I can run a PXE boot off of a image but it will only push the files out to the HDD. I'm looking for a way to make a bootable menu that will allow me to boot to any of these isos and run them as if the media was in the drive. Everything I've looked at either doesn't work like I need it to or is way to big for my tiny little shop (I might need to boot 5-15 pcs a day to this at various times).

I was wondering if any of you guys had worked with a boot like I'm talking about. If I could run it from a VM, that would be great. Anyone got any ideas? I'm blowing through DVDs like no one's business.

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

PXE is a giant disgusting pain in the ass. Worth it for large deployments but still.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you want to do. I'll tap some resources and see if I can find anything for you, but I suspect that DVDs are simply going to be the best solution. Maybe just hang a sign above your work bench reminding you to check the DVD drive before packing up the machine.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Alternatively, couldn't you create a Hey Dummy! flag out of red electrical tape/fishing line and use it to remind yourself that the DVD is in the drive?

I use red and yellow Hey Dummy! flags on guns that need parts so I remember which ones are deadlined, which ones need to be serviced.

Create like 10 numbered flags to go with 10 numbered DVDs. Put up 10 numbered wall hooks. Try to remember to count 'em.

/Retarded MacGyver

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I would suggest WDS, but if you're concerned about going through so many DVDs I doubt you're looking to buy Windows Server.

5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I'm going to take a picture tomorrow of all the signs that are already hanging on the wall. :rolleyes:

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If not a sign, then post-its are cheap.

The point is that going with some fancy netboot solution is way overengineering this.

7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Well, yes. It just made me laugh, 'cause I seriously made about 15 signs.

8. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

You aren't new to computing. Complicated solutions make a lazy man feel accomplished!

9. nose spray

nose spray New Member

Xboot plus isos plus a large USB stick is your best bet. I know it can be a pain to boot from USB at times, but this is far easier than relying on pxe boots.

sites.google.coMMM/site/shamurxboot/

Due to 10 post requirement for links...

10. @Lordeden I have no idea if you're still wanting to do this, but my senior design group is actually doing just this. I'd have to look into the details because I set it up last September and am a bit foggy, but it basically involves taking the ISO, mounting it onto the loopback, copying over the contents, and then PXE booting it from whatever location you specify using TFTP. A menu is also set up so you can select which boot image you want. This whole thing can be set up in an Ubuntu VM in under an hour.

We have a couple of custom Linux ISOs that we are booting this way, and while I'm not sure that Windows media will boot the same way as I haven't tried it there's still a pretty good chance that it'll work OOB as well.

Reply here or PM me if you want some more details.