1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we have any oenophiles here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

In the last few years I've really grown my interest in wine. Several months ago I was gifted a nice 42 bottle Frigidaire wine fridge. Up until that time I'd really only kept 5-10 bottles on hand at any one time, and found myself repeating the same handful of wines that I knew I liked. Once I got the wine fridge I found myself picking up a couple extra bottles every week to put away for a rainy day. I've joined a couple local wine clubs and been to quite a few tastings. I'm learning a lot and have really developed a taste for big, bold reds (Old Vine Zins, big Cabs, good Pinot Noirs).

Tonight we visited a local wine bar where I am a wine club member. Every month they bring in four new wines. You get to taste all four, then choose a bottle of whichever wine you like best to take home. So we did our tasting and chose our bottle, then decided to stay for a cheese plate and to open another bottle to share while relaxing there at the wine bar. We had a Belle Glos Pinot Noir that was really, really good. It had a nice big flavor, but wasn't too dry or oaky. It was so good that we bought a second bottle to take home for another time.

Also, as a side note, as I started buying and storing more wines I was trying to figure out a good way to track them. I was going to make a spreadsheet on my own of what I had, when I bought it, what it cost, etc. But fortunately Google saved me the effort. :D I stumbled upon manageyourcellar.com, which is a great free tool for such things. You can enter the wines you have and it will share other's reviews of them, let you know when they are best to drink, track your wine purchases and consumption, as well as give you tons of specific statistics for your wines (how many, how many of each varietal, vintage, origin, overall value, etc.). I don't think I'll ever be a hard core collector, but it's nice now that I have 75-80 bottles of wine to be able to look at what I have, keep notes on what I've tried, and plan what I want to serve. For a free service I think it's great.

So.........anyone else a fan of wine? What do you drink? What do you have on hand? What do you recommend?

I'll throw out a recommendation beyond the Belle Glos Pinot I had tonight. If you see anything by Klinker Brick Vineyards, and you like nice big reds, grab it. Their "Old Ghost" is one of my all time favorite wines (and not TOO expensive for special occasions at $33-35). Their Old Vine Zinfandel (let it breathe) and Syrah are both great buys IMO at $15-17/bottle. If you can find them locally, and your taste sounds anything like mine, please try them and let me know what you think. :)

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I only cook with wine, not much of a drinker, but the lifestyle fascinates me.

I did see a sweet little movie about wine the other day, starring Alan Rickman, called Bottle Shock.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914797/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

I'll have to check it out. :)

BTW, I've heard it told that you should never cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink. So maybe some tasting is in order for you. :D

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

But then I'll get drunk! :p

Seriously though, I make sure it's a good wine. :)

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Bottle Shock was a good movie. I think it's historical based on the competition of French and New World wines.

I don't drink anymore, but I follow for my wife what she likes. She's currently into Malbecs and always loves Riojas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I used to be mainly non-alcoholic until an ex-girlfriend is a connoisseur taught me to make some relevant taste distinctions. I am still not in the league of educated wine drinkers, but I have learnt enough vocabulary linked to experience to be able to listen intelligently when such matters are discussed.

Last 18 months, I've had a love affair with Chenet Rose. Before then, I had waded through many which seemed to be petroleum-based.

I tend to stick with French, because their personalities are unpredictable, probably on account of smaller vineyards and European climate.

I also tend to cringe when I read stuff I've written about wine. I'm painfully aware of my limited experience in this matter.

7. Borla

I only have a couple Malbecs and just drank my last Riojas, but solid choices. I've especially been telling myself I need to grab a few good Malbecs from Argentina or Chile

You know how to fix that, right? :D

8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

:lightbulb:! :D

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Wine is awesome. I live in Oregon, so I'm surrounded by good wine. This last weekend I picked up a bottle of chardonnay from a producer I like. I liked their last chard release, so I'm looking forward to trying this and seeing if this vintage is just as good. I love visiting wineries, tasting, and buying a bottle to take home. Oregon is known for its production of pinot noir, but there are other good wines here too.

I like wine. I don't have any specific preference for one varietal over another. There is a wine shop in town that expands my horizons of French and Italian wines every week, so I drink more than just wine from around here.

Now I'm thirsty.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borla

I would love to do an Oregon or Cali wine tour. My mom has similar tastes to me when it comes to wine. We've talked about doing a trip with my parents for a week and doing so.

11. I'd like to become more knowledgable about wine. It is sort of intimidating to start out, not aware of any classes in the area. And my palate isn't exactly that refined. I like red but can really tell the difference between a merlot and a cabernet.

12. Borla

If you really want to learn I have two recommendations, err, maybe three now that I think about it.

1) Read "Wine for Dummies". It actually has a ton of useful information in an easy to read format. Some sections will be more useful than others depending on the exact level of knowledge that you have, but overall I highly recommend it for someone in your position.

2) Find a local wine bar with good staff. IMO the smaller the better. We are wine club members at a local one that literally has 5 staff members. They know most of the wine club members by name and keep track of what we like. They are constantly giving us good recommendations, giving us tastes of wines, and rotating to stocking new wines all the time. It is also a good way to try new wines without having to buy whole bottles.

3) Keep a journal of what wines you try and like. There are apps or various online tools available if you don't want to keep a paper journal. When you go to restaurants, good liquor stores, or a wine bar, let them know what you've tried that you like and ask for recommendations along that line. Or, tell them what you haven't liked about some of the other wines you've tried.

Get out there and try stuff. The more you try, the more you learn, and the more you'll be equipped to find what you like. :)

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

In all likelihood, I'm a closet oenophile.

I do enjoy wine, but I don't very often because I don't drink much to begin with. I don't have many opportunities to drink (my SO rarely drinks, and doesn't like wine), and often it's beer as a drink of choice wherever I am.

It's funny, though. More recently, I've been thinking about choosing wine over beer when I do have the choice, as I know I haven't had much wine lately. Maybe I should create more opportunities to enjoy wine by inviting people over more often just for that purpose. :)

I like reds better than whites, but if I have a white it must be dry, dry, dry. Sweeter whites taste too much like wine coolers or adult Kool-Aid to me.

I like a variety, but I have realized that I like Merlot and Shiraz as mainstays. I haven't enough experience outside of those to know by distinction what else I like. Generally, all red wine is enjoyable if it's good enough quality.

I would like to learn more about the nuances.

14. Borla

See my post above yours. I am a Shiraz fan too. Not so much Merlot, though I don't dislike it. A good strong red with a steak can be glorious. :D

Tonight we opened a bottle of Paraduxx. It's by the Duckhorn Wine Company (which I highly recommend, btw) and is a blend of Zin, Cab Sauv, Merlot, and Cab Franc. Very nice. :cool:

15. Borla

Sipping a Frog's Leap Zinfandel right now. Big and fruity but very smooth and neither sweet nor too dry of a finish.

A couple nights ago we had a Belle Glos Pinot Noir. It was nearly epic. Very highly recommended.

16. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I really enjoy all experiences associated with drinking wine. Due to some brain damage from meningitis my taste buds are a little broken, so that colors some of my tastes that others may not experience.

I really am partial to reds over whites, except for the whites from Thorpe Vineyard at Chimney Bluffs, NY. I started out with Merlots and Shiraz, and I've found my favorite instant go to's right now are Malbecs and Cabs. Tannat and Carmeniere are some others that I've been exposed to.

The local wine shop by me has a table where everything on it is marked down to under $14, and it has reds and whites from all over. Its a great low budget way to try something different that I've not had before and want to know I'm starting off with a quality wine.

The biggest thing stopping me from a wine collection is space and temperature control. Living in an urban city in a small apartment, it is just extremely impractical. Add to that no central A/C - I didn't think this would really be that big a deal until I tried to drink a "room temperature" bottle of red I had, and the room temperature was 85. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least!

17. Borla

Yeah, you are probably being smart there. I have a couple of advantages. One, I have a 48 bottle wine fridge. So I can store quite a few wines at an exact temp and be confidant they will keep well. I also have a basement that was dug an extra 18" deep with a wall mounted wine rack. So it is pretty cool down there year round (especially since we set the A/C at 68* for the upstairs in the summer), which makes it safe for secondary wine storage once the wine fridge is full.

I also found out this week that my father-in-law has a spare mini-fridge that he wants to give us. I'm thinking of throwing it in my basement, turning it to the warmest setting, and using it for white wine storage. :D So I should soon be able to store somewhere around 100 wines in a pretty good climate controlled setting, aside from just counting on my cool basement.

Right now my collection is somewhere around 80 bottles. I'm slowly growing it, but I don't think I'll need to get too much bigger than that to keep myself happy. I like having good wine, but I'm not going to be one to ever collect wine for more than personal consumption, and there is only so much of that you can do, right?!?!

18. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

You're welcome to have me over to help with that! :D

19. Borla

I will keep that in mind. :p

20. Borla