1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do you shop at COSTCO ?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DAKA, Aug 22, 2014.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I am a compulsive "isle wanderer", at supermarkets, farmers markets, markets, etc
    A few weeks ago I saw bottled PICKLED BEETS. I almost always buy something to "try"
    If you like pickled beets you really should try these...
    SAFIES HAND PACKED HOME STYLE SWEET PICKLED BEETS... (USA product)
    I have NO interest in this company, Costco etc....just for your enjoyment!

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love Costco! I shop there regularly. We buy a lot of stuff there: peppers, mushrooms, eggs, butter, avocados, onions, potatoes, veggie sausages, tofu, salsa, baking stuff in bulk, rice, etc. I prefer to buy it at Costco if I can. We upgraded to an executive membership this year because we shop there so much.They treat their employees very well, their return policy is solid, and I love their products.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The nearest one is probably 40-50 mins away. We got a membership for a while, but didn't go that far for shopping often enough to be worth it. If there were one closer by I'd reconsider, but at this time it just isn't practical for us. We have a couple of exceptional markets near us, several awesome farmers' markets, and an Amazon Prime membership, those cover the bases for us pretty well.

4. omega

omega Very Tilted

Ugh. I have had to shop at Sam's club the past 2.5 years. I'm moving in a week and I will be back in the warm loving arms of Costco. It's a step up from Sam's. Who else here owns a second refrigerator?

• Like Like x 1
  5. DAKA

BEETS, BEETS.....This is about the BEETS

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I have a second refrigerator and a stand up freezer. Buying beef by the side, and being a hunter, or meat often comes in huge batches.

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

Mmm, or two boston butts. Perfect for the smoker.

8. snowy

I used to own a second freezer, but that had as much to do with my own habits of freezing produce as it did with Costco.

9. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Yes, we shop at Costco.

Yes, I love beets.

10. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

Honestly, I try not to. Since you usually can't walk outta there without spending over $300 a shot.

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

The most I remember spending was about $450. But we must have also bought some hardwoods, not just food or cleaning supplies.

12. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

Well, up here in Canada, things can be pretty pricey. Food costs are way more.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I shop at Costco as much as I can.
    Usually need my kiddo to drive me since she has a big vehicle but I like supporting the company and buying what I can in bulk.

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I end up going to CostCo more than the other stores.
    But I don't shop for everything there, just staples that I go through at a decent pace...or other items that I know I can store.

Their meats are great & inexpensive, milk, eggs, bread, breakfast sandwiches, etc...
    But you have to watch your prices and only buy what you'll need and use, just like any other store.
    (**make sure you eat beforehand...or you'll have a big bill)

I also get my gas there...best prices in the area.
    Well worth the membership price.

Besides, their chicken bakes at the food court are to die for.

15. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My fridge is generally empty or nearly so, and bulk items would take up items I have no space to store. Which reminds me, I need to bulk up on quality film to store in my freezer and make it more useful.

16. DAKA

(**make sure you eat beforehand...or you'll have a big bill)

Go at 12, have the cheapest lunch in town, Hot dog and soda $1.50, then shop....
    Costco's chicken breasts are the least expensive, and I have found them to be the "tenderest", please I don't want to know what additives they use.
    Our local Costco (Davie FL) now has Gulf shrimp shell on, that are "supposedly wild caught...again,,,,as above..........

17. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

As a carnivore with a freezer that lives in the sticks, Costco is hard to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

I love beets, but my husband doesn't. :(
    --- merged: Aug 23, 2014 2:02 PM ---
    They likely are wild-caught. Costco does a really good job of tracking their supply chain. They know exactly where what they buy comes from.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Sam's Club had already had many stores in & around Houston before Costco came along. We have very few Costcos here, and none close to us.

20. snowy

That's a shame. My understanding is that the format is similar but the quality is completely different. I doubt you can buy stuff you'd normally find at Nordstrom at a Sam's Club, but you can at Costco.