1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think that graduating from college with a low GPA is the end of the world?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by annabk27, Dec 20, 2013.

1. annabk27 New Member

If a student graduates with a degree in something like biological anthropology, archaeology, forensic anthropology, or cognitive psychology and a cumulative GPA below 3.0, does that mean that he or she will never be able to get a research assistant job or get into a Master's program? I was surprised when I read that Bradley Voytek got into neuroscience grad school with a 2.5 undergrad GPA. I don't know how this could be possible because I believe that graduating from college with a mediocre GPA is the end of your life.

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

It really depends on the graduate program, their applicant pool, and the way they judge applications. If they put more weight on research experience, work experience, recommendations etc. over test scores and GPA, GPA doesn't matter as much. Unfortunately, though, most programs care more about GPA and test scores, as those give them good statistics to report to higher-ups. For an Anthropology student, yes, a good GPA is a necessity if you intend to go to grad school (and what else would you do with that degree?). Sometimes awesome GRE scores can carry a mediocre GPA, but try to maintain above a 3.5 to be considered for the *best* grad schools out there. If you can't manage that high, you likely are unprepared for the workload of grad school anyway.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I think the title of the thread is misleading given the OP's discussion, but whutevar.

I graduated from college with a high GPA and it has done almost nothing for me.

Outside of academia, people aren't really impressed with some inflated number.

Funny story: Went to interview with a famous law enforcement agency, guy asked about my GPA.

"Very high--why didn't you get a 4.0?" Correct answer was: "Fuck you, what was your GPA?"

I did not give the correct answer and instead suggested that I wasn't a genius.

Real life-enders: Lacking technical prowess, mediocre soft skills, not being willing to network and the inability to dress like an adult or show up on time.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  4. As my friend @plan9 has stated, GPA doesn't really mean much outside of academia.

Some researchers are good enough to know that some kids may not learn as well in a classroom, but be super awesome in a lab. People learn in different ways. Being booksmart isn't always a good thing if you don't know how to apply it or make the right connections.

When I used to work for a college of science, my job was to find interesting stories to entice donors to fork over cash to various programs. I found this kid who didn't have the best GPA, but was awesome in a lab. His PI said he was one of the best assistants he had ever had. The kid was even a co-author on a major publication. The student as since graduated and is own to graduate school. His recommendation from his PI and the fact that as an undergraduate he co-authored a paper was WAY more enticing than his GPA.

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I graduated from college (Emporia State University) in January of 2000 at age 23 and didn't start grad school in boston until four years later. My real world experiences matured my outlook and made grad school a different ball game. I had a near perfect GPA but the school was less interested in that than in looking at my transcript (I wasn't cherry-picking easy courses) and work experience. I hope you're not afraid to get out into the real world. The experience is valuable.
    Can you meet some kind of quota diversity enhancement goal? That seems to help compensate, sometimes, for a lower GPA.

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

So I didn't go to college. Is that like dividing GPA by 0? Did my life just never even begin?

I love it when people tell me how much of a failure I am. It's life-affirming. It's important to know one's place.

My experience with GPA, limited as it is, is that it seems to be of utmost importance to people who are in school, and of absolutely no importance to people who are not.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

[blah, blah, blah, just a number] ... for example, @Martian makes more than double what I do, and I have a college diploma in business and a university degree in English.

As others have said, it only matters when people ask for it: Like that research position, or like that stuck-up company that thinks GPA translates directly to efficiency, effectiveness, and executive leadership.

As for real life, what matters is your ability to get results and your ability to interact with people. (In other words, do as I say, not as I do.)

Apparently, most people care about other numbers much more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Don't let The Man keep you down.

Anyway, my perspective and experience.

My GPA for my first degree tanked in my last year of school due to a flareup of a chronic illness I have. Prior to that, I'd always been a good student, regularly on the honor roll. I did go back to school for some post-bacc work, and those classes helped bring my GPA up. I could have still gone for my Master's without the post-bacc work, but the post-bacc work gave me depth I didn't have before in social science, and I appreciate what it accomplished. When I did apply for my Master's, I had an opportunity to talk about what a learning experience my chronic illness had been for me, and how that experience of nearly failing out of school had changed me. My chosen field is education, so any kind of personal experience that allows me to better connect with students is considered valuable. I just finished my MAT.

However, there are lots of ways to get your foot in the door. My husband had some difficulties with his first year of professional school, and it hurt his undergraduate cumulative GPA. He still got into graduate school, though, because he made a connection with a professor via an undergraduate research opportunity, and developed a reputation for being a hard, dedicated worker. My husband has an incredible work ethic, and it has served him well. The professor agreed to take him on for graduate school at our alma mater, and my husband just graduated with his M.S.

Applying for graduate school isn't as simple or straightforward as undergraduate. There's an interview process, tests to take, etc. Your GPA is just one of the factors.

9. annabk27 New Member

Yes, I am so depressed about my GPA that I feel like ending my life. I am graduating from college with my Bachelor's degree in Anthropology next semester. My cumulative GPA is only 2.5 because I had below a 2.0 during my freshman and sophomore years. However, I had a 3.8 during my senior year. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do now to change the past. I cry every second wishing that I could go back in time and study harder in college. I lost interest in everything, stay alone in my room all the time, and didn't go out for like six months. I am interested in working for a museum, a historical society, an archaeological research center, a primate conservation center, or a national park. I live in NYC. I am passionate about human and primate evolution, osteology, population genetics, Mesoamerican archaeology, Viking archaeology, and the archaeology of ancient China. I think that I ruined my future and I will never be able to get an entry-level job or get into a Masters program. Most employers ask for college transcripts and no one will hire someone who graduated with a 2.5. I don't want to end up stuck in retail or flipping burgers. Do you think that my life is over because of bad grades in the past? I am so tired of being stressed out and worried about my future that sometimes I feel like jumping off a bridge.

10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

You're blowing this way out of proportion. I suspect it isn't your fault -- usually that kind of focus results from a lack of life experience.

Your plans might change because of your GPA. That's okay. But failure results from giving up, not from the score on your real-life practice exam.

A can-do attitude can get you pretty far in life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Don't do that. You'll wind up regretting it as soon as it becomes irreversible.

See, that is the perfect trajectory to have, if you're applying to grad school. Admissions people understand this stuff.

If you can't get a job in those areas right away, you should sign up as a volunteer. In NYC, there are many, many opportunities for this. Once they get to know you and your interests and skills, your college transcript will fade away as any kind of consideration.

It's important to stay in the field you want to work in, if you can -- even if only as a volunteer.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.

• Like Like x 3
  12. snowy

Completely agree with everything @Street Pattern said.

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

After your first job (in your field), no one gives a shit about your GPA. College is just evidence that you are trainable.

• Like Like x 7
  14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

First of all...don't worry about it.
    Second, any thought of taking your own life for something so simple is an indicator of other things depressing you.
    I'd talk to someone immediately.

For the most part, GPA is insignificant in the business world. Unless you're going for the best of the best of positions, competing with equals.
    Often they don't even care about your degree's subject, major or name.
    Mostly the care about the initials BA or BS. (a little piece of paper...which really doesn't show your true ability IRL...nor does your GPA)

I have never, in all my time outside working...been asked about my GPA in an interview.
    It's a blank in an application...if anything.
    Most places don't consider it...only top scholastic oriented jobs "may" be interested. (science, analysis, teaching and such...places run by academics)

After that, it is experience...period.
    If I were you...I'd concentrate on getting some experience under your belt...either paid job or as an intern.
    As a matter of fact...companies are starting to ignore even the degree...and certifications...it's experience they are interested in.
    Any manager worth their salt is going to pay attention to that...and how you answer questions, "what if" scenarios.
    The degree is just a way of justifying your pay.

So...get your head on straight, take a deep breath...and dive in.

Your time in the workforce will teach you more that you'll need in soft skills than any greater GPA score.
    Communication, teamwork, the bottom line, politics, business types of interest, marketing...and oh so much more.

If you're going to stress...then you might as well stress while you're getting paid.
    That's what the rest of us do. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I had a similarly low GPA upon completion of my bachelor's degree. This year I will complete my PhD in my chosen field.
    Check out a book called "The PhD Process". It goes into great depth about what grad schools truly seek. It's much more about knowing your strengths and finding a program that will value those strengths. Also, finding the right advisor who shares your passions and sees your potential.

I just have to say congrats for pushing through and completing the degree, even with poor grades to start. Your preserverance will shine through your application essays.

Since you have some ideas on the general areas you find interesting, I recommend starting by exploring if those are really a good fit by volunteering. Museums are always on the search for extra help. Even if it's just something you do in your spare time while working a job you hate for a while, if done right you will get some really good references and will learn what those jobs are really about.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

If we're sharing GPA stories, I should add that I never got great grades, not in high school, not in undergrad, not in law school, and not in grad school. But here I am, years later, with a wonderful job and a great salary.

17. snowy

Heh, my students assume I must have been a great student in high school. I usually laugh.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

10 years later and I don't even remember what my GPA was.

If you are so concerned about it, just take one year of the easiest classes you can find. I took rock climbing and golf in college....

19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I only remember that I graduated undergrad with a 2.96 because it pissed me off.
    I took upper level classes as a sophomore and didn't do well. Plus, I hated stats even then.
    I currently have a 3.98 in my PhD classes and it doesn't mean shit. Which also pisses me off.
    Because I had a 4.20 for three semesters. Then I stopped caring that I got an A- instead of an A+ and realized that some profs just grade hard.
    Life is not over. I got into a master's program with a 2.96 and into a PhD program with a 3.9.
    Neither program really cared about my GPA because my coursework kicked ass where it counted.
    Oh, and screw Statistics.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'd be more worried about you major than your GPA at this point... even a 4.0 in Anthro is just another piece of paper in something that'll likely get you nowhere until you're 6+ years into college debt.

You had garbage grades for two years due to depression or being a teenager or whatever and your final GPA is somehow a surprise? That's confusing. I guess my point is that college is unlike high school in that you pay for it.

Constructive criticism would follow along the lines of those above: You have to network and work around the gaping hole that is your GPA. People will care less about your GPA if they know you and your work ethic and products personally.

Another thing to remember: A good 50% of jobs outside academia only care that you have a college degree--a degree in anything--and will hire you based on it as it supposedly demonstrates that you can read, write, operate a computer, follow instructions and all that other 13th Grade (TM) soft skill stuff. I was rapidly (retardedly) promoted up through the ranks in my first job out of college because I knew how to operate the Microsoft Office suite and had enough common sense to convey technical things to people that were not experts in my field. Think about what you bring to the table aside from your current worries over your arbitrary GPA: Languages, knowledge of specialty software / equipment, public speaking, etc.

@Martian doesn't even have a college degree and he's like 67% smoother than the majority of this forum.

You're the reason people hate these threads. There is no extended scale.

Indeed. With a fork.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 4