1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know a way to convert.VLC or .MP4 files to .mp3

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

ie - a video to just audio?

2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

capture the audio while playing the video, and trim as needed. I always add a little padding before and after as it is simple to remove excess bits, but you cannot add once you are done playing the source. I would go with a WAV* file then convert to the lossy codec of choice, as in Ogg-Vorbis, MP3, Wavpack, etc. You can also save the file as straight MP3 and skip the middle step.
    A good free option is Audacity, and of course the final quality will only be as good as the source material.

*Personally I save a master file in a lossless codec (Wavpack Hybrid these days), and then convert the WAV file to whatever lossy codec I need depending on the final use.
    --- merged: Feb 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM ---
    audacity.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  3. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

thanks, I'll give that a try!

4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

As an alternative you can use ffmpeg to re-encode the audio track directly. Something like:

ffmpeg -i myvideo.file -vn -c:a mp3 mynew.mp3

Would do what you're looking for. It requires a bit of command line jiggery-pokery but nothing too complicated. The advantage to this is that you don't have to sit through it in real-time, and you don't have to worry about mucking up your stream by playing something else. You can just let it strip and encode in the background.

Should also note that ffmpeg supports a wide variety of formats for both input and output, including wavpack.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1