1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know any good true anti-establishment music

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Mar 19, 2012.

1. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

I'm looking for some good heavy fight the power music where one van understand the lyrics. I just found Sleigh Bells and find them to be very good. I may have to re think my views on todays music, if there are more bands out there as good as they are. However, I just want some heavy anti establishment music, Some good punk, old stones, NWA, fuck off and die music. The one criteria is I want to be able to understand the lyrics over the heavy guitars.

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

don't know if this is the type of stuff you're looking for...

• Like Like x 2
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Rage Against the Machine

Testify

Killing in the Name

• Like Like x 1
  4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

OMG, I was totally going to go with Phil Ochs! Way to go! I was planning on this recommendation, though:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

System of a Down

B.Y.O.B

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Corrosion of Conformity's Blind (1991) just might be what you're looking for. I always go back to it for heavy anti-establishment music.

It's a brilliant album. The lyrics are absolutely fantastic (being both political and philosophical). And the music? Wow. If you're into a hybrid of thrash metal and stoner metal with a hint of punk and southern rock, then you're in for a treat. The songs aren't all straightahead fast tempo metal. There are many divergences into slower and more melodic moments as well.

These tracks below come to mind as the most directly anti-establishment. The rest of the album is good and has similar themes. They're just not as direct in terms of looking at "the system."

Oh man, this is one of my favourite albums. It's brilliant and tragically underrated. Also, their followup album Deliverance is also fantastic but for slightly different reasons (less politics, more philosophy, more stoner metal).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Rage Against the Machine. Brought to you by Sony.

So anti-establishment. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

10. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Thanks all, I like the suggestions. It beats listening to 50 year old stones and who and 30 year old sex pistols, the clash and midnight oil. Charlatan had a point so much of it is commercialized that is what I don't want. Like U2, they started out aggressively anti establishment and yet they have become to some degree VERY establishment. Same with Green Day, REM, etc. Just like it is hard to take Public Enemy seriously when Flavor Flav has become a cartoon character.