1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Dream Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ZombieSquirrel, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Since I am in the process of buying a home and will be able to make it my own, I was thinking about what I would want in my dream home.

The house we put a bid on wouldn't be my dream home, but for what my family needs, it meets all the criteria. It's practical. Dreaming is for the impractical.

My dream home would be near a body of water, preferably fresh water like a river or lake. I wouldn't want to be very close to my neighbors, so I would at least like an acre of land. The one+ acre of land would house swing sets, treehouses and lots of trees...but space for sports like soccer, rugby and football.

A screened-in porch would be nice too.

I pretty much just described my family's cabin in Wisconsin....

The home itself isn't all that important. I really don't need a lot of space as I would rather be outside. I would want a big enough living room/dining area to entertain people in the winter though. I don't particularly like to cook, so I wouldn't care about the kitchen. Potlucks and catering are my cup of tea. When I googled "dream home" the houses were way too big. I'd need a bar area and a wine cellar and lots of bookshelves and some reading nooks with natural lighting. That would make me happy as a clam.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

What would be your dream home?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

A log cabin with A lot of land. With a r car garage and a shop in the back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I would design and build mine.
    Ever since I thought of being an architect many years ago.

Totally Dynasty-like :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Right now, it would be a house that wasn't anywhere near Fucking Psycho Bitch.

On a lake would be nice. Five-ish acres, with part of that fenced in for the dogs. Garage would be good, with a loft-ish area for storage. Four bedrooms: one for us, one for guests, and an office/study for each of us. (mine would have at least one wall of built-in bookshelves.) Lots of counter space and natural light in the kitchen, and a breakfast nook. And a dishwasher. Sunken living room, with a stone fireplace. Fully finished basement with outside access. Attic, with slanted ceilings. Deep front porch, with a porch swing. Screened in back porch, with option to replace screens with glass in the winter. Small patio off of that, for grilling and eating outside. At least one bay window with a comfy window seat. Large shed/small barn for storing yard work stuff, and since I'm dreaming, at least one ATV. At least two bathrooms, one with a multi-nozzle shower.

Though really, the land is more important than the house. I am partial to old farmhouses, so a house with enough "character" would overrule all the stuff I listed above.

• Like Like x 1
  5. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

That would not be my dream home because of the proximity to water. I have 2 water loving children who gravitate to it immediately. We have a backyard that has plenty of space to eventually install a pool, when they are old enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

oh yeah and a pool. my daughter loves to swim

7. I have been thinking about a bar in the home. HOORAY FOR ALCOHOLISM! I'm thinking of making a simple one at first and expanding later. When ToddlerSquirrel becomes OfftoCollegeSquirrel, I plan on turning the downstairs into a WOman Cave. There will be a fully stocked bar of course and it will look like the Bengals Pro Shop threw up in there.

For now, I'm thinking of something like this on the main floor:

[​IMG]

The breakables would be high enough to where BabySquirrel can't, you know, break them. I'd have to butch it up a bit too. This is way too cute.

I'm thinking there may be a place in the kitchen for a bar. I can't remember what the west wall looks like. The stove and range are DaddySquirrek's domain. The bar is mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My realistic dream home would probably be a nice three-bedroom condo in Santa Monica, reasonable amount of open space and decently high ceilings, decent open kitchen, couple of parking spaces, building with a pool and an elevator. It'd be a stretch, because such a thing would probably run between $750K and $1M. But if both Mrs. Levite and I had solid jobs, we could do it. We'd have a big mortgage, but not ludicrously huge.

My real dream home, of the sort that could only happen if Mrs. Levite and I won the lottery, would be a big, beautiful home in Venice (the LA Venice, not the Italian Venice), right near the ocean. Something that would look like this:
    house.jpg
    We're talking four bedrooms plus den/office plus sunroom/family room; huge gorgeous open kitchen with industrial-quality range and fridge, big open spaces with very high ceilings, lots of quality wood and exposed brick, big dining room, patio outside with plenty of space for dining al fresco, nice big private deck, pool, hot tub. Three-car garage (for two cars plus storage space). Balcony with ocean view. Palm trees, cypress trees, jacaranda and piƱon. Maybe a little herb garden.

It'd really take winning the lottery, though: a place like this in Venice would be probably like $10M.

• Like Like x 1
  9. genuinemommy

We currently live in our dream home.
    We wanted a 2-story with all bedrooms upstairs.
    A 2-car garage where we can work on vehicles.
    Ample outdoor space for gardening and play.
    Relatively close proximity to state parks and other hiking opportunities.
    Close drive to a botanical garden.
    Decent public schools.
    Within earshot of a train whistle.
    Easy highway access.
    Walkable distance to a few stores.
    Neighbors that we enjoy.
    In a location with weather we can enjoy year-round.
    East/West facing lot so we see the sunrise and sunset from floor-to-ceiling windows.

We day dream often about the changes we could make to our home, to make it even better.
    We want to add a balcony out from the master suite so we can see the backyard from there.
    We also want to add an outdoor kitchen and plant an orchard (dwarf/semi-dwarf trees). We do eventually want to add a pool, a play house, a sand box, build our own jungle gym...

We have a pinterest board with these day dreams. My kind of outdoors - camping, gardening, etc. on Pinterest | Fruit Trees, Natural Playgrounds and Outdoor Kitchens

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

For now.....

Plenty of land, out in the country. I want to be able to target shoot, possibly hunt, and run my chainsaws with no neighbors close enough to whine, or get hit by one of my stray bullets (in which case I guess whining would be semi-acceptable :p).

A garage big enough to park several cars, with a couple of large bays for restoring cars. A large covered area for the same.

A shop for mechanical tinkering. Must have windows for lots of sunlight, and a restroom with a large sink, toilet, and a proper adult urinal.

A shop for woodworking. Mostly for my wife, who took woodworking in school.

The kitchen...I dream of having my dream kitchen.
    It would be in the corner of the house.
    Many windows, a couple of sliding doors for easy patio access.
    Open design, roomy, just enough wall to support the ceiling (no more windowless galley kitchen for me).
    A large & deep double sided sink. A small sink for quickly rinsing things. A trough-style sink for washing large stock pots, chainsaws, etc.
    Two islands, each with a stove top and plenty of space. One with five burners--four standard, one for oversized pots & pans. The other with two standard large & small burners, and a griddle burner.
    Two regular sized standard/convection ovens. At least one microwave oven, possibly two. A decent sized countertop toasting/broiling/convection oven (these are really handy to have!).
    Lots of easy access storage space (our current kitchen has plenty of storage, but not always easy access).

• Like Like x 2
  11. From what I gather, this is what a lot of boys on here would do:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Levite

Fuck no. If it were me, that garage would be the kitchen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Mine would have motorcycles in it.

While my dream home would likely involve hundreds of acres in Switzerland, I did the best I could. I'm pretty happy with where I presently live.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Levite

OK, I'll bite. Why Switzerland?

15. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Visited there and loved it. It has a urban/rural mix and a liberal/conservative one that I find very attractive. I'm also a fan of big mountains and German beer.

• Like Like x 3
  16. genuinemommy

I was thinking, "Mountains, duh!" when I saw your comment about Switzerland. But the rest of that makes sense, too.

17. I thought of our cyclists when I saw this.

18. Levite

Fair enough. I can't say it's ever struck me as one of the places I am driven to visit. But I have seen pictures, and I can't deny it's pretty as hell there.

I'll take your word on the beer, not being a beer drinker myself. Although I confess that one of the unexpected pleasures of visiting Britain was the plenitude and excellence of the local hard ciders, which is my mild alcoholic refreshment of choice, so I understand where you're coming from.

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Not this "boy." With enough land, my very large garage would be detached, and the kitchen would very large as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

We live in a rural area, and I Love it. However we both are getting older and the work can be overwhelming. So if I were dreaming it would be a low maintenance apartment, single level, with a great view of the city. A place where elevator rides are the only choice and I would pay pay pay for someone else to do the work. A cleaning service which includes laundry. So cooking and cleaning in the kitchen would be my past time. I am retirement hopeful.

• Like Like x 1