1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Codes and Sexism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I've seen a number of pieces lately on school dress codes, dress expectations, and sexism.

One example would be of the school in Utah photoshopping sleeves on to girls and raising necklines:
    Students say altered yearbook photos meant to shame them
    | The Salt Lake Tribune

Another is of the UT School of Nursing posting signs declaring that clothing must not be revealing: UT School Of Nursing Removes 'Sexist' Dress Code Signs : News : University Herald

And Jezebel had this rundown today of other events related to dress coding: Is Your Dress Code Sexist? A Guide.

For the record, I've never dress coded anyone, and I likely never will. Dress coding a student is usually more of a distraction in the scholastic environment than what students choose to wear. Sure, if a girl's hoohah was hanging out, I'd likely take her aside and advise her that perhaps wearing longer shorts would be a good choice, but I'm generally very conscientious about addressing matters of personal taste and style with my students, erring towards a focus on the positive about their appearances, as teenagers, for all their prickly exteriors, are sensitive souls. One of the things I love about the school I was at this last year was that nobody really gave two hoots about the dress code unless a violation was egregious--obvious swear words being the usual culprit. Strangely, the one time we did have to tell a kid to cover up this year, it was a boy on pajama day.

From the Jezzy piece:

This is really key. Kids generally understand what professional dress looks like; they also get that school isn't asking them to dress that way. If we were, we'd stick them all in uniforms. If they're not or interfering with the conduct of normal school operations, they have a right to self-expression (see Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). We send our juniors to a job fair every year; we explain what professional dress is beforehand, and when the day comes, they all show up in professional dress.

Professional dress, even in the adult world, is a vague concept. Professional dress in my field looks very different from professional dress in my husband's field, for example. Were I to show up in a pantsuit, I might be told I look "fancy," but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for my profession, just the school that I work at. Were my husband to show up to work in a suit, people would wonder if he had a Very Important Meeting, as research engineers rarely, if ever, wear suits. My everyday outfit is dress slacks, a blouse, and a cardigan. He wears a buttondown and Carhartts. Both of us dress professionally for our fields. Trying to use the "professional dress" idea in defense of a faulty dress code is not a smart move, in my opinion.

How do you feel about dress codes? Were you ever dress coded in school? Do you feel that dress codes are sexist?

I remember the one time I was dress coded. I am not a short woman--I'm 5'8". I wore cutoffs to school one time and they were not "fingertip length," something I blame on my height. I went to the nurse's office that day because I had really, really bad cramps and wanted to go home; the school nurse tried to dress code me in her office! What still irritates me about this situation, and why I remember it so well, is that I said well, I'm going home anyway, and when she asked what number to dial to call my dad, I told her that his extension was somewhere on the district staff list, as he was the principal at one of the high schools. Quite suddenly, my egregious dress code violation was forgotten, and we were best friends. WTF. My dad and I still laugh about it.

I have no doubts that most dress codes hew towards being sexist and deliberately target women. I'll have to take another look at our rarely enforced dress code, but I'm pretty sure there are only one or two things that could be directed at boys, and it's a pretty standard dress code for a high school.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Well, growing up in private schools, I was subjected to dress code enforcement.

1. Wear a belt with shorts and pants.

2. Tuck said shirt in.

3. Shorts and skirts must reach the knee.

4. Short or long sleeved polo of a solid color. Any color.

I didn't take issue with any of that. I even got check for my shorts and got sent home. I knew the rules. I went against them. Consequences.

On jeans day we still had to wear out solid color polo, so tops weren't really an issue.

Public schools are generally more lenient. But if there are rules set in place, and deemed appropriate for that age group (I'm referring to grade school, not college) I think they should be followed and there should be consequences for not following them.

If that school notified kids of what was not acceptable to wear for yearbook pictures, and the kids disregarded it, that's on the kids. Sometimes you just have to go along with rules (especially being a minor)

Now, college is a whole different ball of wax. These are adults. Unless you're at a tiny Baptist college, I can't imagine it being an issue. (I went to a tiny Baptist college and it wasn't an issue).

For me, it all depends on the age group we're talking about.

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

my daughter goes to a private christian school and the dress code seems legit even all the way up through the high school.
    the public school system where i live seems more strict than my daughters school.

when i was in high school we did not have a dress code and i got suspended for wearing a confederate soldiers shirt to school, and i live in the south. that makes no damn since. it almost takes away each kids freedom of expression, but i do understand that some kids can get carried away with it

4. omega

omega Very Tilted

Ralphie, was it a shirt styled like a plain blouse that a confederate soldier might have worn under his uniform coat? Or was it a shirt with a big rebel flag on it? Because there is a big difference.

5. ralphie250

[​IMG]

it was a dixie outfitters shirt. something like this i dont remember exactly what shirt it was but i had alot of them and i still own quite a few.

6. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Interesting, Ralphie.

Personally, I would expect that clothing that made overtly political statements would be out of place, so maybe that was the point your teacher was making?

In my own schooldays, we had uniform - long dark grey or black trousers or below the knee skirts, white or grey button up shirts or blouses, a school tie, a pale grey v-neck jumper or cardigan, and a black blazer.

Oddly enough, it was written to be gender neutral (unintentionally) until a girl started coming to school in trousers. The rule was immediately posted in a letter home that girls had to wear the skirt/blouse/cardigan version of the rule.

A group of older boys, seeing the hypocrisy of this, and realising that no mirror provision had been put in place for male students decided (after encouragement from a person not unknown to you all) to come to school in skirts.

The head teacher immediately had them all in his office, tried to discipline them, and insisted that they had broken the rules. On finding that the students had in fact been well advised by someone who had actually taken the time to read the rules (he hadn't), it was realised that they had not broken any rule.

In due course, the rule was reverted back to the previous gender neutral version, the couple of female students who cycled to school went back to trousers, and everyone got on with their life.

It's no great surprise that I ended up in a job where the interpretation and implementation of rules is key is it?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

When I was in high school, we would constantly cite Tinker v. Des Moines School District.

In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court held that high school students could not be suspended for wearing a black armband to protest the Vietnam War.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

There are schools here where you would be asked to remove or change your shirt, as in the PacNW, that's just not in good taste, and no one here can legitimately claim it pays homage to the South. It's a political statement fraught with other issues, which can cause a disruption in the scholastic environment.

Eh. It depends. Teachers have an obligation to respect a student's right to free speech. Tinker v. Des Moines shows that students do not leave their political or personal beliefs at the school gate, and therefore so long as it's not causing a disruption, there is no cause to ask a student to change. I was a student who wore a number of political t-shirts--Greenpeace, Planned Parenthood, Clinton/Gore. The only time I was advised not to wear one of my shirts was on election day, as a teacher thought it might be in violation of polling place rules. I was not told I couldn't, but I was advised not to, and since it was done in the manner it was, I did not wear my Clinton/Gore shirt to school that day.

I had an opportunity to look up my district's dress code policy, and I have to say, I'm very pleased with how gender-neutral it is (which kind of surprises in some respects, given the town itself):

By contrast, I find aspects of this interpretation of the Portland Public School's dress code sexist, as it explicitly calls out what kinds of shirts are appropriate to wear, and two entire sections of it focus solely on what girls wear: Dress Code - Mt Tabor School - Portland Public Schools

The general PPS guidelines have a section that I find problematic, as it specifically mentions revealing clothing, but only one aspect of that is targeted towards boys; though it is not obviously gendered, I would argue that it largely is, since we can certainly just leave it at visible undergarments, regardless of gender:​
    One of the other issues I have with PPS's guidelines is the mention that students shouldn't wear clothing that would "promote behavior that would violate school rules." How about we just teach kids to follow the rules, regardless of what another student is wearing? What I find problematic about this particular proviso is that a teacher could certainly use this guideline to tell a girl to change because she is distracting the boys in the class, which is bullshit. (See Teen Girl Kicked Out Of Prom So Her Dress Wouldn't Lead Boys To 'Think Impure Thoughts' | ThinkProgress for something semi-related to this kind of behavior).​

And yes, I generally agree that dress codes should loosen as students age; that's appropriate. However, I dislike dress codes that unnecessarily gendered when they don't have to be.

9. ralphie250

i understand that, but remember where i live, and the heritage. but i see where some can say recisism, but kids were wearing the malcolm X shirts.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. snowy

Right, and I do think a Malcolm X t-shirt, depending on the wearer and context, can be just as disruptive.

11. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

My former Catholic high school now requires girls to wear pants or shorts under their skirts because too many wear hiking up their skirts wearing thongs.

GOD DAMN IT I WAS BORN TOO SOON.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

If we had a dress code in school it wasn't enforced. My Coca-cola / Cocaine logo'd T-shirt was never questioned. Short shorts were very popular (ahh, the memories).

Corporate wear was pretty much reverse discrimination. Blue or grey suits, conservative ties for men, with "we don't have a clue" for women.

13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

When I started my current job, the pre-existing employee dress code was extremely detailed, referring to specific fabrics and cuts, shoe styles, etc.

It was almost 100% about women's clothes. Admittedly, more than 90% of the staff was/is female.

There was constant simmering resentment over the fact that thin, attractive women were given more leeway, and some of them pushed the envelope.

I got rid of the detailed dress code and replaced it with a general statement about dressing appropriately.

14. snowy

Speaking of dress codes at work, the principal tried to institute a rule this year that staff could not wear open-toe shoes, as he did not like some of the male teachers wearing sandals to work and showing off their gnarly feet. This bit him in the ass when he said it was fine for the women to continue wearing sandals.

15. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

When we look at dress codes, we should also look at the underlying social mores that support them. In business, those codes reflect the fact that women have more leeway to dress in ways that society restricts men from. Men are just as forbidden from wearing revealing clothing in the workplace. It's just that it's less acceptable for men to do it in the first place. In a professional office environment, you won't see guys wearing tank tops or cut-offs, for instance. If you do, it's a cinch that they're aren't going anywhere in that company.

So, really, where is the sexism? I think it starts with the way that we, as a culture, view and treat women. That goes hand in hand with a pervasive societal attitude that "boys will be boys." That's used as an excuse for a whole host of transgressions, just because a woman looks hot.

So you have one part of the system that says to women, go ahead and display your sexuality, but not too much. Because those boys won't be able to control themselves around you. We need to work at chipping away at the real root causes before anything sensible will ever happen.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My wife's school made it mandatory closed toe for all teachers.

17. snowy

I don't know that I could stand that. I love my Chacos.

18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

There was a certain lack of professionalism in many teachers dress that needed to be addressed. One aspect of which was sandals and flip flops (on both genders). Rather than having to make a judgement call on what qualified and what didn't, it was easier to just have everyone wear closed toe shoes.

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Dress codes might be sexist in that they are directed more at clothing worn by females, but IMO there are many more ways for a female to dress inappropriately than a male. I've been close to several people, males & females, in management positions, including school directors. A very large percentage of their "inappropriate dress" issues were with females.

If a dress codes sets guidelines for the way females dress, I see no reason why it shouldn't cover (pun) male attire as well. It there a difference between a tight blouse on female, and a fitted dress shirt on a male? Tight pants on a woman verses tight pants on a guy? If anything, tight pants on a guy will be more revealing than on a woman.

I'll throw in the biology argument. Even with evolution, human males are wired for frequent mating, human females are wired to attract males. While that can be argued, a simple fact is females go through a lot more effort to make themselves attractive than do males.

20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

In general, I tend to be opposed to dress codes. What constitutes appropriate wear varies tremendously from situation to situation, and in general, my feeling is that school-- be it elementary, middle, high, or college-- is trying enough for a kid, they don't need the crap of dealing with arbitrary rules about what they can and can't wear. Fine, you don't want them to show up liable for indecent exposure, but so long as the naughty bits are covered, I would want pretty minimal rules. I can understand not wanting swear words on t-shirts, or restricting gang wear in ghetto schools. But if you're going to demand that a shitload of arbitrary "decency" or "propriety" rules are enforced, then you should have school uniforms-- a policy I dislike, but at least it's consistent, it removes the need for "checks," and the kids don't have to worry about choosing suitable clothes to fit the school rules. Kids are kids: their job at school should be to learn. If they can best do that while wearing jeans, or cutoffs, or bermuda shorts, or t-shirts, or spaghetti-strap blouses, or miniskirts, or whatever-- fine.

I don't like dress codes at work, either, except for the vague kind. Everyone knows, for example, if you work in a law office, you need to show up in a suit. If you work in finance, you should show up dressed to the nines, because they seem to use suits as penis extensions, like the way they use expensive cars. By the same token, if you're working in a computer repair shop, jeans ought to be okay. Obviously, there are a lot of places where the dress code is much fuzzier, which is why I have always asked, if I am in doubt. If I've been through an interview process for a job, and didn't see any male employees around, I'll ask the woman interviewing me, "What do men tend to wear around here?" So far that's never steered me wrong. It just takes common sense. And if your employees are so lacking in common sense that they can't figure out appropriate attire without a detailed dress code, then your company has bigger problems than clothing.

• Like Like x 1